Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2024 1:00:16 PM EDT
I’m 67 and have never seen anything like this. Thought I’d share.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of this...

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Been there twice

They redirected the creek so they could use the creekbed for the hearth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd love to visit that hose.

If I ever win the lotto, I'm going to spend the rest of my years building an epic home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Franky boy did a pretty good job on that house.  In college, my architecture class visited that place.  Pretty surreal actually seeing it in person after years of reading about it / studying it in school books.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CypressCity:
Franky boy did a pretty good job on that house.  In college, my architecture class visited that place.  Pretty surreal actually seeing it in person after years of reading about it / studying it in school books.
View Quote
While recognized as an architectural landmark, my understanding is that it's effectively unlivable. The water running through it makes climate control difficult, humidity control impossible, and it has chronic mold problems.

I was in construction for 20 years, and many times I saw architects "have a better idea," only to have it be unconstructable, unergonomic, and/or an expensive ornament. Every architect grad wants to be Frank Lloyd Wright; maybe they need to focus on buildings that just work?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Been there twice and I've been to Taliesin (in Wisconsin) three times.  FLW was a visionary.  That said, almost everything he built was HIGH maintenance.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

It's tiny, that really threw me off after seeing pictures for so long.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HS2:
Been there twice and I've been to Taliesin (in Wisconsin) three times.  FLW was a visionary.  That said, almost everything he built was HIGH maintenance.

View Quote

Never been inside anything he built. But his work fascinates me.

He seemed to build things that were a bit beyond what the tech of the time could pull off. High maintenance now and very problematic when new. There was this corporate headquarters he built that looked like the bottom of a lily pond. Beautiful but not surprising to find out that the place leaked very badly whenever it rained.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard that many of the homes were furnished by him, and he would unexpectedly stop by said homes on occasion to make sure the furniture was still where he wanted it to be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
We get to go there and Kentuck Knob as well for free once a year being residents of the county. We always enjoy the tours, and the area is beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Falling Water is about twenty minutes from me, if anyone is ever near there stop and see it. Ohio Pyle is a small town not far from there, stop there too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
While recognized as an architectural landmark, my understanding is that it's effectively unlivable. The water running through it makes climate control difficult, humidity control impossible, and it has chronic mold problems.

I was in construction for 20 years, and many times I saw architects "have a better idea," only to have it be unconstructable, unergonomic, and/or an expensive ornament. Every architect grad wants to be Frank Lloyd Wright; maybe they need to focus on buildings that just work?
View Quote

it's a 90 year old weekend vacation home.  Structures are not recognized as AIA's 'Best all-time work of American Architecture' because it has great humidity control or air conditioning.  The sculptural aspects of it and its ability to integrate into its natural surroundings are what make it great.

If every architect just designed a box that's the most efficient, cost effective living space void of any creativity, the world would be a much more boring place imo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By black_dog:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By black_dog:

FLW was short, and all of his designs reflected that.  He hated garages.  He insisted that if you don't have a horse, you don't need a stable for you car.

I love going to FW.  It is genius.  I love watching The Fountainhead.  I see FLW in the sketches that Howard Roark is supposed to have done.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
For a long time there were stories of the lead engineer arguing with Wright about the strength of the cantilever concrete slabs, that they would sag with the way Wright had them designed.  There were also rumors and legend that the engineer altered the plans to reinforce those slabs, against Wright's wishes, when Wright wasn't present.  I think within the past few years they did internal scanning of some kind on the structure and it turned out, yes, the engineer did reinforce the areas in question and it was one case where Wright was most decidedly wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#15]

it's a 90 year old weekend vacation home.  Structures are not recognized as AIA's 'Best all-time work of American Architecture' because it has great humidity control or air conditioning.  The sculptural aspects of it and its ability to integrate into its natural surroundings are what make it great.

If every architect just designed a box that's the most efficient, cost effective living space void of any creativity, the world would be a much more boring place imo.
View Quote

You are using an extreme as a counterpoint. I never said "the most efficient, cost effective living space void of any creativity." I said buildings that work. There's plenty of space to be creative and innovative and still be useful and comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]
wooden forms for the concrete pour
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
For a long time there were stories of the lead engineer arguing with Wright about the strength of the cantilever concrete slabs, that they would sag with the way Wright had them designed.  There were also rumors and legend that the engineer altered the plans to reinforce those slabs, against Wright's wishes, when Wright wasn't present.  I think within the past few years they did internal scanning of some kind on the structure and it turned out, yes, the engineer did reinforce the areas in question and it was one case where Wright was most decidedly wrong.
View Quote
I saw part of a biography on him and the same thing happened with a budget house he designed. He sent one of his architecture students to the job site to supervise the construction. Student looked at the plans and saw that the roof structure wouldn't be strong enough, so he ordered a steel beam to be installed. That was the first house. For the second house, Wright showed up to check it out, saw the steel beam, had a shit fit, and demanded it be removed and that they strictly adhere to his original design.  They did so - and the house collapsed.  Fortunately during construction, so it wasn't occupied.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw part of a biography on him and the same thing happened with a budget house he designed. He sent one of his architecture students to the job site to supervise the construction. Student looked at the plans and saw that the roof structure wouldn't be strong enough, so he ordered a steel beam to be installed. That was the first house. For the second house, Wright showed up to check it out, saw the steel beam, had a shit fit, and demanded it be removed and that they strictly adhere to his original design.  They did so - and the house collapsed.  Fortunately during construction, so it wasn't occupied.
View Quote

I had a prof in college that had worked with another "famous" American architect (can't remember his name, so he wasn't that famous). The guy told a similar story once and the punchline was "you can beat your minions but you can't beat gravity."
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I went there for a field trip as a kid when I was studying architectural design.
One of my favorite things was the lower staircase goes down into the water with no landing under the bottom step.
I thought that was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
We fell in love with FLWs work long ago. One of his students designed our home. It is a PLEASURE to live in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ar15-joe:
I went there for a field trip as a kid when I was studying architectural design.
One of my favorite things was the lower staircase goes down into the water with no landing under the bottom step.
View Quote

That is cool, looks kind of unfinished though...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CypressCity] [#22]

You are using an extreme as a counterpoint. I never said "the most efficient, cost effective living space void of any creativity." I said buildings that work. There's plenty of space to be creative and innovative and still be useful and comfortable.
View Quote

Fair point and I do agree with what you’re saying.  Ive been an architect now for almost 20 years and I’ve found that theres a spectrum on the profession.  Far left is the creative designer types with shit knowledge of constructibility, far right is the shit designer with excellent knowledge of constructibility and all sorts in between.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86] [#23]

View Quote

Isn't this an Architect’s raison d’être?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I like my homes like I like my women...

Beautiful, unique, high maintenance, and a bitch to live with.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I was there in the spring  both times I went.
There’s a dehumidifier in every room and it smells musty.
The staircases are cramped .
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

View All Quotes

Oh... That's funny.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
You answered your own questions.  Engineers and good buildiers ENGINEER/BUILD buidlings "that work".  Architects DESIGN buidlings that are "pretty".
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I was watching a video about one of his houses yesterday. He did a great job of making ordinary materials look extraordinary and creating a lot of visual continuity. That being said, the whole time I was watching I was thinking what a pain it would be to live in it.

It’s almost like he drew all those houses thinking that there’s no way that anyone would actually build one and live in it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cosmo05:
Falling Water is about twenty minutes from me, if anyone is ever near there stop and see it. Ohio Pyle is a small town not far from there, stop there too.
View Quote

Yeah, same. Ohio Pyle is nice. Don't forget about Fort Necessity, Braddocks grave and check out the view from Jumonville cross. Hit Laurel Caverns while your at it. All within a few minutes drive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Never been to Falling Water but have been to Taliesin West in Arizona, the Marin County Civic Center, the Walker House in Carmel by the Sea, and several more of his westerly works.  They are all inspiring.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#31]
Been to Falling Water before. Neat visual design, but definitely weak structurally. Especially the cantilever balconies.

This has more functionality, and at least the house probably won’t fall down, but the exterior woodwork will be a constant maintenance item:

https://visitcentralflorida.org/featured/frank-lloyd-wright-architecture-at-florida-southern-college/
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The small college I attended had a fine arts building that was heavily influenced by Wright's designs. The design had cost so much that when it came time to build it they had to cut corners on the construction.

There was no effective HVAC in the building so that it stayed hot in summer and cold in winter. The ergonomics were terrible and it had lots of wasted space. There were even gaps in the exterior walls that were filled with bare glass panes (no frames) held in place with caulk.

The music practice rooms had concrete floors and ceilings with brick walls on three sides and a large picture window on the exterior wall. The acoustics were terrible, but I was able to match the resonance of the room with an ARP Odyssey and could have blown that picture window out if I had cranked up the amp.

From a usage standpoint the building was nearly useless but those art professors sure loved it.

Years after I graduated, It and another building were torn down to be replaced by a larger facility.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Id like to see someone try to build his mile high taproot construction building design.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Shit person, shit architect, for at least the two FLW homes I've been in (Falling-whatever and his house in Florence AL).

His designed house in AL was almost destroyed due to water damage and termites before it was saved by the local govt at the cost of +$.5M.  The corridors and doors were tiny; like 20-24 wide, at most.  Insulation was almost non-existent and couldn't really be added; they had to use 3-4 3ton HVAC units trying to keep it cool, and it wasn't that big a house to begin with.  Shit person as well, being a serial cheater on his wives.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Neat

One of his designs is in Marin County across the Golden Gate bridge
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

No one buys a Ferrari for its maintainability.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Went to Taliesin West in part because someone I know runs the place now.

From a design perspective, it's easy to see why he was regarded as a genius. The anesthetics are there. The practicality, not always as much.

It's a shame he didn't have access to the building materials of 30 or 40 years later...I suspect he could have done far better with what we have now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

That's how we end up with the drab, ugly, soul-sucking buildings we have now
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:23:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#39]
Ah yes, I was that idealistic young Howard Roark architect once upon a time before it became clear that budget outweighed aesthetics by ten fold to the client.  Rarely does anyone come along that says I want a monument to myself and budget doesn't matter.  One day after slaving in the business I came to the realization that the secretaries in the firm made more money than we did as architects.

After 10 years I went over to the construction side of of buildings and made a decent living as a construction manager.  It was much more satisfying.

As an architect, I was working in Kansas City and had the opportunity to examine a couple of FLW's houses for restoration.  The roof and window details were shit and they leaked like a sieve.  He was pretty much a nut.  Along with the furniture, he even designed his wife's clothes to wear so they didn't clash with his designs.  Can you imagine trying that today?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#40]
"Everyone wants a Thirteen Thousand Dollar house for Nine."

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
"What do you think of the nastiest newspaper articles written about your work?"

"I don't think of it. They blow into the gutter the next day, forgotten.....  But if someone I respected said it, I would be deeply wounded."

Turkel House

(close paraphrase of the two half-hour Mike Wallace Interviews taped the same day, a year before he died)
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Wingspread - 1939
Herbert F. Johnson House - Racine, WI
co-Founder - Johnson & Johnson

(Materials were high - Labor was cheap)

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I visited Falling Water once. I always admired Wright’s architectural genius and it was sort of a bucket list thing for me before those became a thing. It’s worth a visit if you’re ever up that way.

While the creek flowing under the structure might be considered a marvel by some, building over water is a terrible idea. Even building near water isn’t usually sound.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Loveness Estate

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By nottooslow:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/292796/FW1_jpg-3190471.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nottooslow:
Originally Posted By ar15-joe:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/292796/FW1_jpg-3190471.JPG

All I could think of when I was there was “this would be an awesome place to take a piss.”
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By konger:
I visited Falling Water once. I always admired Wright’s architectural genius and it was sort of a bucket list thing for me before those became a thing. It’s worth a visit if you’re ever up that way.

While the creek flowing under the structure might be considered a marvel by some, building over water is a terrible idea. Even building near water isn’t usually sound.
View Quote

Living Room designed over the family picnic rock
FU EPA

Documentary: Department store owner Edgar J. Kaufmann commissioned FLW to build a weekend house. Weeks later, Wright had drawn not one line.
Kaufman phoned to say he'd be at Wrights studio in three hours to look at the plans. The architect sat down at his drafting board and drew Fallingwater without an erasure. Wright finished, a few minutes later Kaufman walked in, Wright said: "Edgar, we've been waiting for you!"

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
We fell in love with FLWs work long ago. One of his students designed our home. It is a PLEASURE to live in.
View Quote

Same. We feel very lucky every day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

That’s exactly what most architects do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WWIIWMD] [#49]
Mike Wallace Interview - 1958

MW: "You've been widely quoted as against organized religion..."

FLW: "Why organize it? Didn't the Master Poet of all time say 'Wherever two are gathered in My Name, there is My Church'? This is why I can build for any denomination; I put a capital 'N' on Nature and there is my church."

First Christian Church
Wayfarer Chapel
Greek Orthodox
Unity Temple (2)
Unitarian

eta 'any'
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Ennis House

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top