Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2019 2:20:39 AM EDT
We did the JD Power VDS just this week, and that was fun.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/2019-JD-Power-Vehicle-Dependability-Survey-VDS-/5-2195332/

Now, it's CR's turn:

Here's the page with that graphic: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-driving/which-car-brands-make-the-best-vehicles/

Here's their top 10: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-best-cars-top-picks-2019/

And just for fun, here's the VDS again:

There are some significant differences between the two, and there are a few obvious similarities.

If you aggregate the two, a few of the takeaways corroborated are:

1) Porsche is actually pretty damn good for a performance luxury brand from a nation that specializes in unnecessary complexity.
2) The Koreans are better than most people will acknowledge.
3) FCA and JLR are still still dumpster fires.
4) Honda is going downhill.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a Subaru fan, and currently own three.

However, head gaskets are a maintenance item on them which is absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from a 2 week vacation and rented a Hyundai Santa Fe. I was pleasantly surprised. I like it better then my wife’s 2013 rav 4. They are both sluggish because they are 4 cylinder. But beyond that the Hyundai was nicer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder why they're so different.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

However, head gaskets are a maintenance item on them which is absolutely ridiculous.
View Quote
Almost everything I've read suggests the head gasket thing was fixed over a decade ago.

The more recent issue is oil consumption, but even that was more 2011ish from what I've read.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Chevy over Acura.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Almost everything I've read suggests the head gasket thing was fixed over a decade ago.

The more recent issue is oil consumption, but even that was more 2011ish from what I've read.
View Quote
They’ve been saying it’s fixed forever, they’re liars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
That hasn't been true for 10+ years
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]
My Silverado says Chevy knew how to make trucks in 2011.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Take all of the good will earned by Porsche in the rankings and subtract 25-30% due to one person with a popular YouTube channel who is about to have his 2nd 911 bought back by Porsche due to issues.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Audi at #4.

Fuck you all you GD Audi haters.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF is going on with Honda? My wife and I really like the look of the new Passport.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Audi at #4.

View Quote
Enjoy your VW.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
American cheeseburger shitboxes blown the fuck away!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF is going on with Honda? My wife and I really like the look of the new Passport.
View Quote
Buy a Chevy. They win a bunch of awards....
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn Honda, you slackin'...
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I drive a Subaru Forester for work, it's a fleet vehicle owned by the hospital I work at.  It's a base vehicle and is a little over 1 1/2 yrs old and has almost 185,000 miles on it.  I am a courier so it gets at least 335 miles a day, sometimes double that.

Problems so far:

1. Exhaust pipe at the engine will crack at the 90,000 mile mark.  Factory replacement is over $1000, but a local muffler shop instead just made a new pipe and its been good to go since then.

2. Uses some oil.  Car goes about 4-6000 miles between oil changes and uses roughly 3/4 quart during that time.  If it drops below a quart low the oil light will come on.

3. Blower motor was replaced due to slight bearing squeal.

4. Has recently gotten a rattle in the dash.

That's it.  The vehicle is driven responsibly, but is not babied by any means.  The first set of original tires lasted about 90,000 miles.  Those Japs are some car building mofo's.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I drive a Subaru Forester for work, it's a fleet vehicle owned by the hospital I work at.  It's a base vehicle and is a little over 1 1/2 yrs old and has almost 185,000 miles on it.  I am a courier so it gets at least 335 miles a day, sometimes double that.

Problems so far:

1. Exhaust pipe at the engine will crack at the 90,000 mile mark.  Factory replacement is over $1000, but a local muffler shop instead just made a new pipe and its been good to go since then.

2. Uses some oil.  Car goes about 4-6000 miles between oil changes and uses roughly 3/4 quart during that time.  If it drops below a quart low the oil light will come on.

3. Blower motor was replaced due to slight bearing squeal.

4. Has recently gotten a rattle in the dash.

That's it.  The vehicle is driven responsibly, but is not babied by any means.  The first set of original tires lasted about 90,000 miles.  Those Japs are some car building mofo's.
View Quote
So... ~10k miles a month?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Audi at #4.

View Quote
The flip side is, Audi’s rise in the rankings is somewhat of a recent development, and these surveys don’t cover much more than 3 years of ownership.

Outside the warranty window, the cost benefit analysis to Audi ownership is a bit... different.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Take all of the good will earned by Porsche in the rankings and subtract 25-30% due to one person with a popular YouTube channel who is about to have his 2nd 911 bought back by Porsche due to issues.
View Quote
Details?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
General motors is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
MAZDA
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Chevy over Acura.
View Quote
Honda vehicle quality has went to shit. They are still living off their reputation from the 90s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Chevy over Acura.
View Quote
+1 The data must be flawed!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Details?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Details?
Nick Murray. Started his channel to detail the issues with his first 911, moved to a M4, and bought another 911 about a year ago. It had been in the shop (dealer) for a couple of months and in his most recent vid it was dead in his driveway waiting to get picked up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Lesbians like responding to surveys. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
JD Powers you pay for your rating
CR is unbiased testing

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

CR is unbiased testing

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
One reason is CR uses members of CR report subscribers.

That gives them a totally different pool to extract their data from.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.  Two bad head gaskets for me long after they said it was fixed.  F Subaru.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#31]
[jd powers ] “step right up ...”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flip side is that pool is 99% soccer moms who comprise CR membership.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#33]
How is Chevrolet so much higher than GMC and Cadillac in the JD rankings?  Makes no sense to me.

ETA I've always thought CR should stick to toasters.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Audi at #4.

View Quote
Fuck Audi.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How is Chevrolet so much higher than GMC and Cadillac in the JD rankings?  Makes no sense to me.

View Quote
Chevrolet cars aren't that bad are pretty good. Look at where Buick is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name brand loyalty is a factor, I always take both with a grain of salt, both are biased in more than one way.
Numbers of responses are a factor also, CRs have a very limited pool, they aren't even along the model/brands.
CRs describe their system as
" Ownership Factors
The Predicted Reliability is our forecast of how well a model is likely to hold up, derived from our Auto Survey. (See the detailed Reliability History section below for more information on New Car Predictions.)

We've found that past experience is a good indicator of future reliability over the 40-plus years we've assessed Reliability by asking our members about their cars.

We rate Owner Satisfaction by asking members in our Auto Survey whether they would buy their particular vehicle again. A top score () indicates that 80 percent or more of owners would definitely do so. The lowest score () indicates that fewer than 50 percent of owners said they would "definitely" buy that car again.
CRs rankings doesn't use the scientific method for their methodology.  It's a poll with independent observations.
Most people no matter how well meaning they are/will be biased toward there own decisions.

Both rankings are flawed so I add both and take the results.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Every mechanic I've ever asked, said Honda and toyota made the most reliable, longest lasting cars.

that has been my experience too.

resale value is excellent also, you get real money at trade in time

American vehicles are getting better, but still not as good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Toyota is boringly reliable.  You don’t learn much from those vehicles like you do with American vehicles that require maintenance and ingenuity to keep on the road.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
They both agree that Fiat sucks, so there's that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CR is unbiased testing

http://jancok.com/uploads/posts/t/l-790.jpg
I don't trust CU anymore, either.  They went full Leftist SJW during the ObamaCare debacle and blew whatever objectivity they had with me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lesbians like responding to surveys. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
View Quote
Plenty of practice licking... stamps.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#42]
All ye must bow down before me. For I am Lexus master race.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#43]
BMW more reliable than Toyota?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
What kills Cadillac is their stupid button-less interior. People hated it and would complain about the everything from changing the HVAC fan speed to adjusting the radio volume. They have mostly ditched it and will go back to conventional buttons with new models and mid-cycle enhancements.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been burned a few times following CR's advice, so...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
CR always rates the infotainment system from Honda negatively which lowers their ranking with them.

That being said I am a Honda fan but the things they are doing for fuel economy is creating a negative ownership experience.  For example I commute in a newer gdi Accord and it uses oil which I find annoying.  I bought the i4 because of the problems with the VCM on the V6.

Also apparently the new turbo engines have fuel/oil dilution issues. Like I said I am a fan but my next commuter may be a Toyota unless Honda addresses their engine issues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What kills Cadillac is their stupid button-less interior. People hated it and would complain about the everything from changing the HVAC fan speed to adjusting the radio volume. They have mostly ditched it and will go back to conventional buttons with new models and mid-cycle enhancements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like Cadillac. Easiest to work on vehicle I've owned.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#48]
great the first year .... but after five ... well .... i will stick with the toyota.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Porsche owner waving...
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top