Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2019 11:52:27 PM EDT
Its almost time to get my yearly birthday gun, and I have been looking hard at AKs for a long time now but to be honest it's been quite the learning curve. Ever since shooting a 74U I have lusted after one, but I am not going to be SBRing anything so with the brace stuff up in the air I'm wondering what I should get.

I was too slow on pulling the trigger on the new PSA krinkov pistol with that sexy triangle brace, and according to PSA they won't be back up for sale for a while. I have been impressed by the reviews the PSA line has gotten, but their stuff has been out of stock for a while now.

I have also been looking at the Atlantic offerings, and may find something there that suits me.

The last option is doing a parts kit build. I was a bit nervous at first looking at these, but after watching one be built from the ground up I'm a bit more confidant I could do it. In particular I was looking at a receiver from Childers guns or one from Atlantic. If I went with the Childers I would get it as selected in the picture below. Are they a legit company?

But what I am really wondering is, what reasonably priced AK do you have or like, and why? Should I get a 74 or just a regular 47?

Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/taxons/ak-47-74-rifles

Start here. 5.45 is nice, but 762 is more readily availabe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
AK picture thread!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m in a similar boat as you and in the very near future will buy an Arsenal SAM7K to SBR. I just wish that I would have bought a SAM7 SF several years ago but oh well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Everybody should at least one just because they're fun to shoot and because you can.  For some reason new shooters always want to shoot one too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I finally held a Palmetto AK and was really impressed. I thought I was out of the AK game and sadly only have one. It’s a Maadi which I hear is good but it looks like trash. It’s like they used black tar to paint it. Maybe that’s why I was impressed with the PSA finish.

Not offering advice or anything, I just really want another AK. Oh, and AK Guy vs AR Guy on YouTube kills it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everybody should one at least one just because they're fun to shoot.  For some reason new shooters always want to shoot one too.
View Quote
Honestly I never had much of an interest in them until I shot Grimhollows various AK's. Its just a really fun gun to shoot, and the 5.45 was not what I expected at all. Smooth shooting as could be.

I have 3 AR's already, pistols and bolt guns and shotguns, so this is pretty much the next logical step.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Builds are fun, but if you have to press/pull the barrel into the trunnion and rivet, tooling can get pricey.  You can do a screw build and keep cost minimal.  The '47 is probably a bit cheaper, but go the '74 route if that's what interests you.  Both are fairly well supported.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#9]
AKs are iconic. Every collection needs one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Wasr 10, a bunch of steel combloc mags and a few thousand rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Childers is legit and well-respected.  Atlantic has also done a fine job for me in the past.  But be forewarned, buying an AK never ends with the AK.  Never.

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought an underfolder a few months ago. I agree with the poster that everyone should own one.

I have enough AR’s so I figured why not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Forget the AK47, get a Galil instead. Better rifle with better caliber choices in 5.56 and 7.62 Nato. The Galil is a lot more accurate than any AK47 and the new Galil Ace rifles will accept AR15 magazines for the 5.56 version and SR25 magazines for the 7.62 Nato. If you can get a pre ban original Galil AR or ARM in 5.56 or 7.62 Nato, they use proprietary magazines. Galil's also come standard with flip up tritium night sights. The Galil Ace rifles also come standard with picatinney rails mounted on the top of the top cover. They're much better than the old Galil AR AK47 style  cut out in the left side of the receiver for the Galil scope mount that puts the scope way up over the top of the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Childers is legit and well-respected.  Atlantic has also done a fine job for me in the past.  But be forewarned, buying an AK never ends with the AK.  Never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXj_fAbBBw
View Quote
Haha that dude has some sweet looking AK's.

I may compromise and get a affordable AK, and buy only the 74 receiver so that if any bullshit bans come down the pipe I can still build something later.

Looking at the options I selected on the Childers build, anything I need or should change?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#15]
74s were nice when the ammo was cheap enough to buy by the pallet with pocket money. When that dried up they quickly lost their appeal as ammo prices shot well past decent 7.62 ammo.

I'd say go for it if you've never owned one before. The only AK type rifle in my collection right now is an AES-10b but I've been wanting to have another AK-47 proper to keep right next to it again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Haha that dude has some sweet looking AK's.

I may compromise and get a affordable AK, and buy only the 74 receiver so that if any bullshit bans come down the pipe I can still build something later.

Looking at the options I selected on the Childers build, anything I need or should change?
View Quote
It’s your rifle.  Best to know what kit you’re using first as that will change the options.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd like an AK74 but mags and ammo are a bitch these days
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It’s your rifle.  Best to know what kit you’re using first as that will change the options.
View Quote
Standard 74 with a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Do it, I have a crappy zastava Npap, it’s is a fun fun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Everyone should have an AK and an AR, or lots of both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I dont get the complaint that 5.45 ammo is so expensive.

Granted it’s not as cheap as it used to be, but what other rifle caliber ammo can you get 1000 rounds of for about $210?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Standard 74 with a fixed stock.
View Quote
Bulgarian?  Romanian?  Yugoslavian?  Weirdly enough, it matters.  I’d buy the kit, then make sure the blank is the right type and has the right options for the kit.  It confused the snot out of me until i sorted through everything.  Contact them if you have questions, I’ve had great experience with Childers’ service.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:46:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I dont get the complaint that 5.45 ammo is so expensive.

Granted it’s not as cheap as it used to be, but what other rifle caliber ammo can you get 1000 rounds of for about $210?
View Quote
When you’re used to it being practically free, I think your views get skewed.  Hence the people complaining about the cost of AKs these days.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Ak-74 in 5.45 is a really nice gun.  But ammo is not readily available excepting online sources like sgammo.  I’d get one in 5.56.  Both caliber mags are stupid expensive compared to ar mags, but they are nearly bomb proof.

Ak-47 is a really great rifle to have in the stable. Ubiquitous magazine and ammo supplies for the foreseeable future. Shtf or home defense, it will go bang and take abuse.

Get a 47 and 74 of either flavor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Take the money you are about to waste on the AK and put it towards nightvision instead.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Honestly I never had much of an interest in them until I shot Grimhollows various AK's. Its just a really fun gun to shoot, and the 5.45 was not what I expected at all. Smooth shooting as could be.

I have 3 AR's already, pistols and bolt guns and shotguns, so this is pretty much the next logical step.
View Quote
Did you get that...hey, this feels like a 22lr recoil feeling
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ak-74 in 5.45 is a really nice gun.  But ammo is not readily available excepting online sources like sgammo.  I’d get one in 5.56.  Both caliber mags are stupid expensive compared to ar mags, but they are nearly bomb proof.

Ak-47 is a really great rifle to have in the stable. Ubiquitous magazine and ammo supplies for the foreseeable future. Shtf or home defense, it will go bang and take abuse.

Get a 47 and 74 of either flavor.
View Quote
Several local stores here sell 5.45 in bulk at good prices.  I love Eastern Washington. :D
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#28]
5.45 ruined me on 7.62 guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
5.45 ruined me on 7.62 guns.
View Quote
Meh. What does your husband shoot? IMO, unless you are an AK aficionado and have multiples, an AK needs to be chambered in 7.62x39. I have a Serbian N-Pap with tiger striped furniture that I bought new about 5 years ago for about 600bucks. Its one of my favorite guns. I dont think I've ever cleaned it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#30]
slr 95 and mac 90 owner agrees w/you. do it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Do it.... they are a blast.

Here are my cheapos...
Attachment Attached File

My sar 3 Romanian import that is chambered in 556/223. This is by far my funniest gun I have.

Attachment Attached File

My Romanian import draco pistol with magpul front furniture and a brace. It is chambered is 7.62x39. It is fun but loud.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd like an AK74 but mags and ammo are a bitch these days
View Quote
??? Steel lined Bulgys are like $13 CDNN/GunMagWarehouse. Zero issues with them, and I beat on mags, even cut one into a 20rd'r.

Wolf/Tula/RAS are all pretty much on par with 762. Gotta order online, but yeah it's definitly not terrible.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]
My contribution

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bulgarian?  Romanian?  Yugoslavian?  Weirdly enough, it matters.  I’d buy the kit, then make sure the blank is the right type and has the right options for the kit.  It confused the snot out of me until i sorted through everything.  Contact them if you have questions, I’ve had great experience with Childers’ service.
View Quote
Hmm thats good to know. When you say kit do you mean the parks kit including the barrel or the receiver and then buy a parts kit that matches?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Arsenal makes some very good quality AK's in many varieties.

Not inexpensive, though...
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#36]
That is beautiful. I really like the way the dark wood furniture looks.

I really wish Atlantic had the "battlefield pickup" available.

But if it was in stock, I would be getting the AIMS74.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#38]
probably the worst time to get into the ak game

also, they get old fast. i could never get used to the ergos.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:39:37 AM EDT
[#39]
'cuz gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#40]
I think everyone should own an AK. I have two chinese which i believe to be of higher quality than most. Also have an RPK as well. Love the rpk dont really shoot the AKs. Not a fan of their recoil, look at slowed down barrel whip vids and you will see what im talking about. Recoil oscillates is best i can describe. Every platform has its pros and cons.

I do like the cheap ammo and stockpiles well.

I would not just be looking into a cheap ak, look at rpks and vz58. VZ is better and lighter than AKs. Very neat guns.

CSA: VZ58 1,000 Rounds Later!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hmm thats good to know. When you say kit do you mean the parks kit including the barrel or the receiver and then buy a parts kit that matches?
View Quote
Pick the parts kit, then get a receiver based on the kit.  There are specific options Childers has (and explains) based on the kit you get - an AIMS74 is a bit different, for example.  You may want to wait on the barrel until you get the kit, as you will need to make sure the front trunnion isn’t oversized or undersized.  It’s easier to get a matching barrel once you have the kit than attempt to make these changes later.  Conversely, a barreled kit will take care of the issue, and some companies will check to ensure the barrel is the right size if you buy the kit and barrel at the same time.  The things I learned...
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:44:30 AM EDT
[#42]
First, bad time to get into AKs. Prices are stupid.

Second, yes you can build. I did it, so that means most people with reasonable mechanical altitude could.

But it will cost you what 2-3 guns would cost to buy outright, once you’ve tooled up. But if that’s the route you’re going, you’re doing it backwards. Find the kit you want to build, then pick a receiver to match. And then when you’re done, you’ll look at it and say, “after all the 922 bullshit, this ain’t an eastern bloc gun anymore.”

Finally, once you realize that you’ll probably never actually build one, buy this:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/aam-romanian-uf-barreled-receiver
And put whatever furniture on it and you can say you “built” it just like AR guys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#43]
You see, Prof, gun love is a spectrum.  Some people like AKs, some like ARs, and some people prefer to stick with their trusty FAL.  Some even like pistols.  Some like them all.  And that’s ok.  Get with the modern world!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes, you should totally get an AK.  They are iconic and fun to shoot, which should be reason enough to own one.

If you want an AK just to have one to go blasting with once in a while, then I'd suggest getting a new production PSA.  They're basic, inexpensive, have a good track record, and come with a factory warranty (just in case ).
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
First, bad time to get into AKs. Prices are stupid.

Second, yes you can build. I did it, so that means most people with reasonable mechanical altitude could.
https://i.postimg.cc/1Xx1RPgx/IMG-2784.jpg
But it will cost you what 2-3 guns would cost to buy outright, once you’ve tooled up. But if that’s the route you’re going, you’re doing it backwards. Find the kit you want to build, then pick a receiver to match. And then when you’re done, you’ll look at it and say, “after all the 922 bullshit, this ain’t an eastern bloc gun anymore.”

Finally, once you realize that you’ll probably never actually build one, buy this:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/aam-romanian-uf-barreled-receiver
And put whatever furniture on it and you can say you “built” it just like AR guys.
View Quote
Eh, depends on what you’re aiming for.  Only bad time to get into something is when you can’t actually buy it.  It’s not the salad days of cheap AKs, but they aren’t insanely priced either, in comparison.  The tooling’s pricy, though Harbor Freight is your friend, but if you build one, you’ll probably want to build more...

And sure, it’s not “authentic”, but given the restrictions, you get as close as you can.  And we can make better parts in the US these days, even if you wouldn’t know it from some suppliers.  If you go into it aiming to have fun and DIY, and not to save stacks of cash, you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#46]
An older fellow and friend of mine was dying of Cancer. On his bucket list was to shoot an AK.

I have some, but not at my Winter home, so I purchased an Arsenal 7.62x39 just for him to fire.

He got his wish, and passed a few months later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Got into AKs because of the AK operator union's channel. Went with a WASR10 and a Bulgarian AK74.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd like to get a kit and have RD to build me an AK-74 and to pick up a cheap AKMS for fun.

They'd be just for funsies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:05:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I picked up a 97 Romanian CUR a while back. I thought I was going in at a bit of a higher price, but now as I look at prices it was a good price. Prices have steadily been climbing since. I am sure the seller doubled his money too if he bought it 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:14:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pick the parts kit, then get a receiver based on the kit.  There are specific options Childers has (and explains) based on the kit you get - an AIMS74 is a bit different, for example.  You may want to wait on the barrel until you get the kit, as you will need to make sure the front trunnion isn’t oversized or undersized.  It’s easier to get a matching barrel once you have the kit than attempt to make these changes later.  Conversely, a barreled kit will take care of the issue, and some companies will check to ensure the barrel is the right size if you buy the kit and barrel at the same time.  The things I learned...
View Quote
I see what your saying. The receiver I selected was a polish so I would want to find a AK74 polish parts kit.

I plan on getting a barreled kit just because the amount of tools required in the build video I watched. From what I understand once the barreled kit is ready to be mated to the receiver you just need a drill press, and a shop press?

Something like this kit but I would want to change the stock to a solid stock or the triangle one.

These guns have such a harder learning curve then AR's do. I was able to install a LPK into a stripped lower by watching a youtube video, but this shit is a whole other level
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top