Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 10:51:15 AM EDT
I need to pull a 220 run for an above ground hot tub from the main panel on the side of the house around the back corner through a screened in pool enclosure. I have two options on how to enter the pool enclosure using conduit:

1) Use a hole saw on the aluminum pool enclosure framing that mates to the back corner of the house (frame is ~3" wide).

2) Make a small hole in the screen itself right next to the frame and run the conduit through the screen.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need to pull a 220 run for an above ground hot tub from the main panel on the side of the house around the back corner through a screened in pool enclosure. I have two options on how to enter the pool enclosure using conduit:

1) Use a hole saw on the aluminum pool enclosure framing that mates to the back corner of the house (frame is ~3" wide).

2) Make a small hole in the screen itself right next to the frame and run the conduit through the screen.

Suggestions?
View Quote
More an appearance thing than anything else.

If you are using steel conduit make sure it is not in contact with anything aluminum.
Like screen or the aluminum pool frame.

Plastic conduit might be a better choice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go through the frame.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a basement?

I would keep it all inside then out the exterior wall to a breaker mounted to the outside wall.

Then some sealtight from the breaker to the hot tub.

Basement being a bit easier to run cable to that wall the up through the plate on the exterior wall then out. With a small patch of sheetrock on the inside.

Might save you some money as you can use romex inside with no need for conduit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wiring pool and spa is no job for a handyman, familiarize yourself with article 680. Might save your life.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wiring pool and spa is no job for a handyman, familiarize yourself with article 680. Might save your life.
View Quote
I hope the OP is not trying to run a direct line from the panel to the hot tub.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Yes, very familiar with 680...even the update where I'm allowed to use a longer flex-tight run on the wall. Second time wiring in this hot tub. Installed and wired in a mini split heat pump...reputable hvac tech said I did a better job than most others who do it for a living. I will be using plastic conduit for sure. Thought on going through the screen was that I could easily patch the hole if we ever get rid of the tub...but going through the frame may look cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m about to do this also.  What did you end up running through the frame? Hard or flex conduit? I’d like to see pics of your install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top