Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2020 5:50:13 PM EDT
I have an Arizona state concealed license currently and reside in Texas. My license is valid in this state but my question is can you conceal carry 2 handguns legally in Texas? I’ve heard most states prohibit that, even when you have a valid license to carry. Also what if one is open carry and one is concealed? Any info would be nice and let’s discuss it, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
In, just for the info!

Not from TX, so I can't help you there, but I've had a CCW in OK since '94.  We've had open carry for the last several years, and now have Constitutional carry.  I've been stopped for speeding (several times), and told the officer I had one on my right hip and another in the console of my truck, he said "OK" and I got off with warnings for speeding every time, altho just a few miles over the limit.  I guess Okla is OK with 2 or more.  Granted, I didn't have both guns on me outside of the vehicle, but both were within my reach.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can carry all the guns you want on a valid license. It used to be on the DPS FAQs might still be.

Open or concealed does not matter unless you enter a place with a 30.06 and/or 30.07 sign, then you might want to comply as applicable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Did he ask if you had firearms? I never mention it unless they ask. Just assume no reason for confrontation or to make them jittery nowadays.

And ok ???? thanks, yea I don’t like those signs lol I have to go back to the truck and usually it’s 105 out or something lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice thanks that’s a handy website
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did he ask if you had firearms? I never mention it unless they ask. Just assume no reason for confrontation or to make them jittery nowadays.

And ok ???? thanks, yea I don’t like those signs lol I have to go back to the truck and usually it’s 105 out or something lol
View Quote

I'm assuming you're asking me if I mentioned it?  If so, yes I did.  When OK first came out with CCW, it was obviously concealed only, and one of the CCW provisions were that you had to immediately inform any OK LE that you were carrying.  So, I always tell them when they first get to my car door, then give them my DL, insurance and CCW.  Now that we have open carry for the last few years, and now Constitutional carry, I don't know if its still a requirement to notify or not.  I still always drive a few mph over the limit, but I don't get stopped hardly as much for speeding as I used too!

One good thing about OK CCW/open carry, not sure now about Const Carry, but in the past, under CCW only, before open carry, once you notify the LE that you are/were carrying concealed, they're not allow to ask you to lay it on the dash, or give it to them, or let them see it, or let them run it for stolen, etc., etc. as long as you don't give them any reason to.  They just say OK and continue the conversation as normal.  

I also ride a Harley, been stopped several times for speeding.  When they approach, I keep my hands on the 'bars, and notify them I'm carrying at 3 o'clock.  They ask for DL and CCW, I ask them if it's OK if I get off the bike, as I also carry my wallet in my right hip pocket, and its easier to get my wallet.  Never had a problem, almost always get warnings for speeding.  Act courteous and get treated courteous!
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you're asking me if I mentioned it?  If so, yes I did.  When OK first came out with CCW, it was obviously concealed only, and one of the CCW provisions were that you had to immediately inform any OK LE that you were carrying.  So, I always tell them when they first get to my car door, then give them my DL, insurance and CCW.  Now that we have open carry for the last few years, and now Constitutional carry, I don't know if its still a requirement to notify or not.  I still always drive a few mph over the limit, but I don't get stopped hardly as much for speeding as I used too!

One good thing about OK CCW/open carry, not sure now about Const Carry, but in the past, under CCW only, before open carry, once you notify the LE that you are/were carrying concealed, they're not allow to ask you to lay it on the dash, or give it to them, or let them see it, or let them run it for stolen, etc., etc. as long as you don't give them any reason to.  They just say OK and continue the conversation as normal.  

I also ride a Harley, been stopped several times for speeding.  When they approach, I keep my hands on the 'bars, and notify them I'm carrying at 3 o'clock.  They ask for DL and CCW, I ask them if it's OK if I get off the bike, as I also carry my wallet in my right hip pocket, and its easier to get my wallet.  Never had a problem, almost always get warnings for speeding.  Act courteous and get treated courteous!
View Quote

Yep I’m a motorcycle mechanic so I understand that, ironically I work on hogs lol yea I always keep my hands on the wheel/bars also but I’ve never informed them unless they asked are there any weapons on you/in vehicle. I also get pulled over a lot lol I’ll have to look and see if Texas has similar laws on what they can or can’t do after you tell them. That would be nice to know
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah, it would be good to know what you find out for TX.  

Kinda off the subject, but I think having a CCW, at least when I get stopped, they know you have a clean record or you wouldn't have a CCW in the first place, whereas with OK now having Const carry, anyone over 21 and not a felon can carry.  So, if they see you open carrying under Const carry, they really don't know if you're a felon or not until they run a check on you.  My record is clean from having been cleared for CCW, other than one speeding ticket about every 20 yrs or so.  I'm a Constitutional carry believer, and totally for it, but I now understand how OK LEO feel if they see someone open carrying, it could be anyone, even a felon, whereas in the past anyone open carrying probably had the OK CCW/OC license.  Even tho' OK now has Const carry, I'll still keep my OK CCW/OC active, for out of state reciprocity for the other states I frequent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Right I agree I wish we had constitutional carry in Texas. You need a LTC just for open carry, it’s bullshit. Good call with showing the license it would help put them at ease I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top