Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Think about how stupid the "average" American is.
Now realize that half the country is dumber than that...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
When you open an entry-level job rec, knowing recent graduates are majority white and 80-90% male, get over 100 applicants, and HR just hands you three female/minority resumes, you know something is fucky. Between that and the Aggie cult...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Parts of it are.

Honestly - I want more of it to be. It ain't yer granddad's PHP anymore.

Other Arf-nerds might disagree, and to be honest - I'd actually like to hear it. Fuggit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the arf back end php?  I did php for many years, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.  You haven't lived until you T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM
Parts of it are.

Honestly - I want more of it to be. It ain't yer granddad's PHP anymore.

Other Arf-nerds might disagree, and to be honest - I'd actually like to hear it. Fuggit.

A mature domain specific language is better than the latest shiny flavor of the month?  Get out of here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also left out: since the 1960's we've subsidized the least accomplished people to have the most children. Idiocracy was a documentary.
View Quote

The OG Idiocracy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Think about how stupid the "average" American is.
Now realize that half the country is dumber than that...
View Quote

That's not how this works. It's more than half.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Want to play a game?

What modern gun manufacturer could mass produce Astra 400s, Lugers or Enfield No1 Mk3s?

Competency, skills, techniques, budget, etc. would make those all very complex.
View Quote

Without MIM.

I've been told Garands are almost impossible.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At a casual glance, the recent cascades of American disasters might seem unrelated. In a span of fewer than six months in 2017, three U.S. Naval warships experienced three separate collisions resulting in 17 deaths. A year later, powerlines owned by PG&E started a wildfire that killed 85 people. The pipeline carrying almost half of the East Coast’s gasoline shut down due to a ransomware attack. Almost half a million intermodal containers sat on cargo ships unable to dock at Los Angeles ports. A train carrying thousands of tons of hazardous and flammable chemicals derailed near East Palestine, Ohio. Air Traffic Control cleared a FedEx plane to land on a runway occupied by a Southwest plane preparing to take off. Eye drops contaminated with antibiotic-resistant bacteria killed four and blinded fourteen.

While disasters like these are often front-page news, the broader connection between the disasters barely elicits any mention. America must be understood as a system of interwoven systems; the healthcare system sends a bill to a patient using the postal system, and that patient uses the mobile phone system to pay the bill with a credit card issued by the banking system. All these systems must be assumed to work for anyone to make even simple decisions. But the failure of one system has cascading consequences for all of the adjacent systems. As a consequence of escalating rates of failure, America’s complex systems are slowly collapsing.

The core issue is that changing political mores have established the systematic promotion of the unqualified and sidelining of the competent. This has continually weakened our society’s ability to manage modern systems. At its inception, it represented a break from the trend of the 1920s to the 1960s, when the direct meritocratic evaluation of competence became the norm across vast swaths of American society.

In the first decades of the twentieth century, the idea that individuals should be systematically evaluated and selected based on their ability rather than wealth, class, or political connections, led to significant changes in selection techniques at all levels of American society. The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) revolutionized college admissions by allowing elite universities to find and recruit talented students from beyond the boarding schools of New England. Following the adoption of the SAT, aptitude tests such as Wonderlic (1936), Graduate Record Examination (1936), Army General Classification Test (1941), and Law School Admission Test (1948) swept the United States. Spurred on by the demands of two world wars, this system of institutional management electrified the Tennessee Valley, created the first atom bomb, invented the transistor, and put a man on the moon.

moar

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/It_s_Happening_Isn_t_It-117.gif
View Quote

Wow.  I'd recommend reading the whole thing.   It is well-written and researched.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#9]
That power line problem in California is a horrible example. It was a created problem due to government incompetence not letting the power company trim trees and brush. Notice that is not a problem in the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Interesting take. Not really a possible future for us though, as the intellectual elite have decided ESG/DEI is more important than competence and have begun tearing down corporate, government and academic institutions.

Or maybe ESG/DEI and the competence crisis IS the solution to the "poprob".
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Been saying that for years.

Do you like third world? Because if you survive the Great Reparations, you'll get 3rd world water, power, streets, food, and goods forever.

Only worse, because the US innovation economy won't be there to prop the world up with magic gadgets. And the UN won't be there to keep your village stocked with sorghum and rice, so even the sub-Saharan bootlegging culture will be impossible.

So yeah, the competency crisis is going to be amazing. For the Chinese, that is, given that they're bankrolling a lot of it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

companies worry about quarter-to-quarter costs

View Quote

SEC mandated quarterly reports foster short term thinking rather than a focus on the long term health of the company.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The core problem is class prejudice guised as credentialism. Where credentials are increasingly the result of expressing the "correct" opinions, not on producing results. And this a result of a fixation on being one of the "betters" in society who is deemed to be right because of position, not because of proof.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is the rest of Western Civilization is in a race to the bottom as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe it's just not as bad as he describes?

I understand there are problems, but I'm also not retarded enough to think there is a better place.

The "it's over!" bullshit is just that.

If people really thought that they would be like rats on a sinking ship.
Part of the problem is the rest of Western Civilization is in a race to the bottom as well.

Better place?  nope,  we currently occupy the most luxurious suite the Titanic has to offer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That power line problem in California is a horrible example. It was a created problem due to government incompetence not letting the power company trim trees and brush. Notice that is not a problem in the rest of the country.
View Quote

Well... and it's no coincidence that .gov hiring practices for decades has led to more and more government incompetence...
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I don’t think the East Palestine train derailment is the best example, either.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don’t think the East Palestine train derailment is the best example, either.
View Quote

Do you feel the decision makers at various levels of management at BNSF are MORE competent or LESS competent then when you hired out?

I know 18 years ago at UP that we were making better decisions that certainly appeared to err on the side of safety than we are now.  Shit that would NEVER fly is now filling the sky so much we railroad in the shade.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
They've put down and excluded the people that built and maintained this stuff long enough that they're starting to not care and avoid working it at all.

Probably by design. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you feel the decision makers at various levels of management at BNSF are MORE competent or LESS competent then when you hired out?

I know 18 years ago at UP that we were making better decisions that certainly appeared to err on the side of safety than we are now.  Shit that would NEVER fly is now filling the sky so much we railroad in the shade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has been so much change on the BN/BNSF in the last 30 years that it’s kind of tough to accurately gauge the managerial competence in so many different circumstances over that time, but I would probably say it has remained more or less constant.

The culture at BNSF has definitely gotten safer, and I think statistics will indicate that the overall industry has as well.

Not that they aren’t without their warts. But some of that is to be expected in any large bureaucratic organization.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The whole world is on a race to the bottom. Some countries just don’t have as far to go.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As always, there's an xkcd for that:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/dependency.png

(Every developer here knows how true this is )
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As always, there's an xkcd for that:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/dependency.png

(Every developer here knows how true this is )
View Quote

It's so true! And not just for developers, much truth about life, lol.

I actually have the one below on a t-shirt, been well worth owning for the occasional feminazi who spazzes out because they don't understand.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]
It’s by design,

South Africa still runs…..kinda.

Caribbean/Central/South America still functions…..on the lower end of the bell curve.

The point is it works more or less.

But the elites get to do all this cool shit like ride around in helicopters, have giant estates, kill people for entertainment, kick peasants off their land, jet to Europe for a shopping trip, do a ton of drugs, steal elections.

And the place is one giant brothel bro. These starving bitches will do anything for some cash, food and mydol. Age, condoms and all that other shit people worry about bro is for the poors.

Americans look at that life and say this is bullshit.

Our elites look at that life and say “Jesus I NEED IN.”

It’s just that pesky middle class that keeps getting in the way.

That’s where we are at politically currently.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It’s by design,

South Africa still runs…..kinda.

Caribbean/Central/South America still functions…..on the lower end of the bell curve.

But the elites get to do all this cool shit like ride around in helicopters, have giant estates, kill people for entertainment, kick peasants off their land, jet to Europe for a shopping trip, do a ton of drugs, steal elections.

And the place is one giant brothel bro. These starving bitches will do anything for some cash, food and mydol. Age, condoms and all that other shit people worry about bro is for the poors.

Our elites look at that life and say “Jesus I NEED IN.”

It’s just that pesky middle class that keeps getting in the way.

That’s where we are at politically currently.
View Quote

A rather succinct explanation.

Cockfags want a return to the feudal system. Hence why they want CBDC, and to disarm the populace.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think he's saying we're fucked because we're 'tarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, you’re saying we’re fucked?

I think he's saying we're fucked because we're 'tarded.

No, he's saying we're fucked because we put dumb people into positions they can't handle because they belong to special interest groups.

Consider all of the various complex organizations and systems we depend on and realise that people are being put into positions they aren't competent for across them in order to raise ESG and DEI scores.

Much like these systems failed in the Soviet Union because filling positions was driven by factors other than competence, the same is happening here.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Been saying that for years.

Do you like third world? Because if you survive the Great Reparations, you'll get 3rd world water, power, streets, food, and goods forever.

Only worse, because the US innovation economy won't be there to prop the world up with magic gadgets. And the UN won't be there to keep your village stocked with sorghum and rice, so even the sub-Saharan bootlegging culture will be impossible.

So yeah, the competency crisis is going to be amazing. For the Chinese, that is, given that they're bankrolling a lot of it.
View Quote

Yeah but chicks will be skinny and know how to cook and clean again.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#28]
So, long story short, even well meaning liberal/progressive/SJW ideas are so illogical and short sighted that there will always be unintended consequences, which are going to lead to the end of us? I already knew that.

I also already knew that in addition to the well meaning but daffy and idiotic is the real problem. The people who want and need all these problems and eventual collapse because it will deliver more power into their hands.

What a time to be alive!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So because you got angry and bitter you decided to think the world is against you and fuck yourself?

Good job bro. You got ‘em.

You sure showed them by creating a shitty life for yourself.

Companies worry about profits?? The literal thing that they are created for? No way! Those assholes!
View Quote

I didnt get that message from his post.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When you set a quota for participation by any metric beyond skill you guarantee that you lower standards. It won't matter what the quota set aside is: Left handers, redheads, polydactyly-whatever. The higher the quota percentage, the quicker and steeper the standards fall.
And the quotas never stop at the entry level, not once you proclaim an entire tier of people a victim. The quotas apply at each step up along the way and then inevitably it echoes back down the line in a feedback loop that feeds ever less qualified people into the organization.
Eventually, you're selecting for incompetence.
In a perverse twist of human nature, the quality of those personnel not part of the quota declines too, and ironically, the  population of the set asides declines in quality, so that by de facto the most capable of that group are still discriminated against.
Even outright nepotism will yield better results overall because the subset is constrained, plus market forces and social pressures act as a mitigating effect.
"The widening gyre..."

View Quote

Redheads?  I didn't realize I could select for that but now I'm gonna for real q
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How does a cell phone work?

If I dropped you naked in the woods, how long before you could call someone for help?
View Quote

The same way babby form.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's by design,

South Africa still runs ..kinda.

Caribbean/Central/South America still functions ..on the lower end of the bell curve.

Our elites look at that life and say "Jesus I NEED IN."

It's just that pesky middle class that keeps getting in the way.

That's where we are at politically currently.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Intel (computer chip company) is a great example.  It was started by genius Americans.  
The really smart people got in early, assisted in the startup, made a fortune, and then cashed out.  

The bean counters hired thousands of cheap H1B workers.  Then Intel had problems making computer chips.  They had to bring Americans out of retirement to help straighten things out.  

Now, taxpayers are giving Intel $1,000,000,000+ to build a new plant in Ohio.  And Intel is hiring cheap H1B workers again.
The current executives will probably cash-out before the plant starts-up.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top