Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2022 7:24:35 PM EDT
I got a notice today that our company will be changing our HSA provider. In the letter it stated that if we had any money in the investment portion that we should liquidate it now as on 8/15 the account would be liquidated and moved to cash.

I'm not sure why I would liquidate now versus waiting to see if the market came up. I'm worried that I will be locking in losses and then having to buy higher when the changeover is complete (8/30).

Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:48:15 PM EDT
Well, you really only have two options. Wait it out and it liquidates on 8/15 no matter what the market did that day.

Or, pick a date any time before then and liquidate.

I guess you could liquidate 15% each week, which would complete by 8/15. Sort of a dollar cost averaging out rather than in.

I'd probably just let it auto-liquidate on 8/15, with the thought that if it showed some predetermined gain in the next 6 weeks, then I'd liquidate that day. Ultimately, it's a couple of months out of the market. Unless it's a massive balance and you're about to use the HSA funds really soon, it likely doesn't make that much difference in the long term.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:28:48 PM EDT
Thanks. It’s not a huge balance and I don’t plan on using it for twenty years or so. Jus wasn’t something I had on my radar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top