Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2023 9:24:24 AM EDT
While my wife and I have lost around 100lbs between the two of us, we both desperately need to tone up because we are still rocking mom/dad bods.  We can walk together for legs and aren't really worried as much about legs but our upper bodies need some serious help with getting in shape.  What are some thoughts on COMPACT options that don't take up a lot of space equipment-wise to work on upper body (abs and chest)?  While budget isn't much of a concern, I'm also not excited about blowing $1k+ on a wall-mounted cable system, and I think those are $5k+ anyway.  I was thinking maybe a set of those adjustable barbells or maybe something similar that we could use but then put in a closet to get it out of the way.  

Please share your experience and suggestions.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Dumbells and a rack.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Kettlebells.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#3]
X3 Band System

Or a couple kettlebells.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Doorway pull up bar. It's good for push-ups and situps too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't think of that.  Actually already have one.  But I used it as a mounting point for a sex swing. So I guess we can repurpose it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
X3 Band System

Or a couple kettlebells.
View Quote

Those are good ideas.  Seems like there's a bunch of options for the webbing systems and not overly pricey either.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dumbells and a rack.
View Quote

A "rack"...to store the dumbells or did you mean something else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
A dumbbell rack for storage.  Like this or similar.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
The best of those options

P90x Pull Up Bar Installation - Home Doorway Pull Up Bar

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I have these and they're awesome.  You don't get more compact than this:

https://smrtft.com/products/nuobell-80lb

If you price out a set of dumbbells to match them, you'll be way over $750.

Between those and a flat bench, you can do most things.  I previously had the lighter set of Bowflex dumbbells and they're inferior.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate to be a debbie downer but if you don't commit to going to a gym or building a decent home gym, a set of dumbbells and a pullup bar aren't going to give you very much noticeable change. You are missing so much. You also likely won't stick with it if it's something you "can put in the closet". Getting in shape/stronger/more muscular is a commitment and a lifestyle change.

ETA: Don't skip legs, they make up a lot of the muscle in your body. Walking doesn't do anything for them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Boxflex adjustable dumbbells, from 5 pounds to 52.5 pounds. They are the only dumbbells I need. The two weights sit in one small rack in the corner of our gym. My wife can use them just as much as I do.

Otherwise go with the bands. We have a bunch of them as well. They hang on a small hook.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Fill .50 cans with lead.  There's some compact weight for ya.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the bowflex adjustable dumbbells and stand + a folding adjustable bench for garage workouts. Just about the most compact/capable setup you can get.

Sams club has the dumbbells on sale every once in a while

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hate to be a debbie downer but if you don't commit to going to a gym or building a decent home gym, a set of dumbbells and a pullup bar aren't going to give you very much noticeable change. You are missing so much. You also likely won't stick with it if it's something you "can put in the closet". Getting in shape/stronger/more muscular is a commitment and a lifestyle change.

ETA: Don't skip legs, they make up a lot of the muscle in your body. Walking doesn't do anything for them.
View Quote
You can do a lot with just dumbells. There's a point where a bar is definitely preferable, but if he's just starting out, an adjustable dumbell set and a bench will take him pretty far.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
if you have room this is a good adjustable bench.  you can do a variety of ab exercises on it also.  it's plenty stout.

https://www.hoistfitness.com/products/hf-5165-7-position-f-i-d-bench?utm_campaign=gs-2020-10-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw6IiiBhAOEiwALNqnccXPXTV9lFRk_CUjhfRlOTEfN53Gs9SmMb5l5ZpIepSv7_iJfhACEhoC6WYQAvD_BwE

plus get some dumbbells.   you don't need a bunch to start.   go to Academy and get some 15s, 25s, 35s (or whatever) and add when necessary

https://www.academy.com/p/cap-barbell-25-lb-coated-hex-dumbbell?sku=25-lbs&gmc_feed=t&&ogmap=SEM%7cPLN%7cGOOG%7cSHOP%7cc%7cSNR%7cIM%7cNon-Brand-PerformanceMax-SportsRec-Fitness%7cFitness%7c%7c18340748067%7c0&gclid=CjwKCAjw6IiiBhAOEiwALNqncbhsdQgPArb1uZ8QSA4jfraZgsJGm9FVnzwVAUVrv2uaVpfNd5cwRBoCoEkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(get a good heavy rubber pad to put under the bench)

there's a bazillion exercises you can do with dumbbells...
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a Play It Again Sports in your area, it's worth stopping in and looking.

I got a compact adjustable bench for $65. They have tons of different dumbbells.

https://www.playitagainsports.com/home
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Side note, having installed doors and windows years and years ago, those doorway hangers are hell on a door frame & moldings, especially a interior door. Unless you enjoy replacing doors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Side note, having installed doors and windows years and years ago, those doorway hangers are hell on a door frame & moldings, especially a interior door. Unless you enjoy replacing doors.
View Quote

If you watch the video posted you can see the crack in the sheet rock from the pressure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
if you have room this is a good adjustable bench.  you can do a variety of ab exercises on it also.  it's plenty stout.

https://www.hoistfitness.com/products/hf-5165-7-position-f-i-d-bench?utm_campaign=gs-2020-10-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw6IiiBhAOEiwALNqnccXPXTV9lFRk_CUjhfRlOTEfN53Gs9SmMb5l5ZpIepSv7_iJfhACEhoC6WYQAvD_BwE

plus get some dumbbells.   you don't need a bunch to start.   go to Academy and get some 15s, 25s, 35s (or whatever) and add when necessary

https://www.academy.com/p/cap-barbell-25-lb-coated-hex-dumbbell?sku=25-lbs&gmc_feed=t&&ogmap=SEM%7cPLN%7cGOOG%7cSHOP%7cc%7cSNR%7cIM%7cNon-Brand-PerformanceMax-SportsRec-Fitness%7cFitness%7c%7c18340748067%7c0&gclid=CjwKCAjw6IiiBhAOEiwALNqncbhsdQgPArb1uZ8QSA4jfraZgsJGm9FVnzwVAUVrv2uaVpfNd5cwRBoCoEkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(get a good heavy rubber pad to put under the bench)

there's a bazillion exercises you can do with dumbbells...
View Quote

Those weights and a couple good heavy kettlebells would do it

however the bowflex I posted earlier and Athlean x's dumbbell workout is my spring/summer/fall go to
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Nuobell
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Bow flex adjustable dumbbells
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Double post
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Big rubberbands.

Get the ones movers use ... blue, red, natural and green.

Use a walking stick or broom stick to loop them through ... resistence goes both ways. Best compact workout at home you'll ever have.  

I keep mine hanging on a hanger in my closet when not in use.

You can buy resistance bands from Walmart or Amazon too, although they're more expensive than the ones movers use.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have these and they're awesome.  You don't get more compact than this:

https://smrtft.com/products/nuobell-80lb

If you price out a set of dumbbells to match them, you'll be way over $750.

Between those and a flat bench, you can do most things.  I previously had the lighter set of Bowflex dumbbells and they're inferior.
View Quote

Good recommendation for dumbbells.  Most people can get away with 80# or less, and there's a ton you can do with dumbbells and a (decent) bench.  I would add a set of clip on change plates so you can adjust in 2.5# increments.  Powerblocks are good too.  

The only thing I'd add is that the bowflex adjustables aren't inferior...they're pure shit.  The lightest weight is physically as large as the heaviest, and the plastic ends are prone to breaking.  They cost a lot less....but they're shit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#26]
You can get great results with kettlebells and sandbags.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Dumbbells. The bow flex adjustables are supposed to be great. I do half my tricep bicep, shoulder and leg workouts at home and half at the gym. The gym is great for free weights and cable machines. I don’t want to take up the space of a bench at home, especially knowing that I’ll never have all the equipment I want to use at home.

Don’t skip legs. You don’t have to do barbell squats and deadlifts to get a decent leg work out. I do dumbbell squats, dumbbell dead deadlifts and box steps at home. At the gym I do leg press, machine squats, leg extensions and leg curls. Try walking on a treadmill with incline, versus just walking (don’t hold on to the handles or your waist if your time), you’ll help build up your legs. Your leg muscles are the biggest on your body. Bigger muscles burn more calories.

Don’t forget core, planks, side planks, etc., no equipment needed for a lot of good core stuff and it will help strengthen/protect your low back.

I thought the same about legs when I started working out a few years ago. As I learned I realized, legs are just as important as upper body, more so if you want to burn calories.

Don’t try to lift heavy. Eat some protein and carbs after you work out to help prevent muscle pain. Static stretching dose not prevent injuries. Warm up with light weights.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve been using a set of these: https://bodylastics.com/

All you need is a door.  The set is light and compact.  It’s not free weights, but it’s resistance training.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Adjustable dumbbells and a bench should do most your upper body exercises and can be had for < $600ish.

Can step it up and get a squat rack that folds against the wall:

Or a $20/month membership and have access 100x more equipment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I've never gone to a gym.
Worked out my whole life with weights at home.
Have a dip bar, incline bench, dumbbells, chin up bar, and one full length bar.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#31]
1) Buy 1” steel bar and matching shaft collars.
2) Find cheap used standard weights.
3) Row and floor press until thick, juicy, and tight.

Or you can buy the AWESOME TRANNY STUNNING AND BRAVE VIRTUE SIGNALING DUMBELLfrom Kabuki and use Olympic plates.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Adjustable dumbbells and a bench should do most your upper body exercises and can be had for < $600ish.

Can step it up and get a squat rack that folds against the wall:
https://www.garage-gyms.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/rogue-rml-3w-folding-rack.jpg

Or a $20/month membership and have access 100x more equipment.
View Quote

Maybe he doesn't need 100x more ways to work the same muscle groups in slightly different variations and doesn't want to deal with the crowd occupying the shit he actually wants to use.

It doesn't sound like OP is trying to attain a gymbro body and he can easily get what he needs at home with basic equipment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I prefer free weights, but they are spendy these days.  I found a nice cable machine that's plenty heavy for $50 on Craigslist.  I had to take it apart and haul it, but very much worth it. Was a $2500 machine originally that never got used.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Rogue loadable dumbbells are awesome.  They use standard barbell plates and collars

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-loadable-dumbbells
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dumbells and a rack.
View Quote

Not this.

Powerblocks and a stand.  Seriously this is your answer.  Powerblocks are super adjustable and take up a fraction of the space as dumbbells and a rack.  

Bought ours on Amazon and are very happy with them. We get our money’s worth of of them.  

Bought em for the space savings

So much less room than a rack of dumbbells.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I got a Totalgym at a garage sale for $20 or so.  I uses body weight and you can adjust the amount by elevating the bench.

It is a pretty decent workout and doesn't take up much space. Saw them at Walmart for around $500 but I bet the used market is under $100 and close to $50
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#37]
But two hay bales
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
But two hay bales
View Quote
I'm surprised the crossfit people haven't told him to buy a sandbag yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Effort post time. Hopefully we’ll get some more feedback from OP so we know what he’s trying to achieve and what he’s willing to do to get there.

Quoted:
Rogue loadable dumbbells are awesome.  They use standard barbell plates and collars

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-loadable-dumbbells
View Quote

The Rogue dumbbells and the iron mind ones are good alternatives to the aforementioned Kabuki product. TBH if you’re not going to go super heavy a pair of almost any adjustable dumbbells will work.

If you want to build muscle, dumbbells will work. They’re great for hypertrophy, but if you want to load them enough for maximal strength work you end up needing super expensive, heavy, unwieldy things like the aforementioned dumbbells from specialized powerlifting/ weightlifting supply companies.

If you want maximal strength, you need a barbell and rack. If you don’t have room or funds for that, you need a gym membership.

If you want simple, you can do alot with a sandbag, or kettlebells. Heck, buy a bag of whatever landscaping material you can pick up safely but with some effort, reinforce it with duct tape, and get to work.

If you’re starting detrained and under-muscled, any physical activity whatsoever will build muscle as long as you eat enough healthy food, especially animal protein. This even includes body weight exercise with or without a pull up bar or suspension trainer.

You can be fitter than most people with diet and walking or jogging.  You can be fitter and look better than most people with diet, walking or jogging, and calisthenics. If your goals are beyond that, like specific fitness for demanding activities or top-tier aesthetics (bodybuilding/physique) then the specialized training methodologies become necessary.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm surprised the crossfit people haven't told him to buy a sandbag yet.
View Quote

Not a crossfitter but you barely beat me
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not this.

Powerblocks and a stand.  Seriously this is your answer.  Powerblocks are super adjustable and take up a fraction of the space as dumbbells and a rack.  

Bought ours on Amazon and are very happy with them. We get our money’s worth of of them.  

https://i.postimg.cc/6pF5L7Kn/69148166-9547-45-EA-93-F5-0-CB995-ABA9-E6.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbells and a rack.

Not this.

What won't  these do?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#42]
If you’re going to get adjustable dumbbells at least get a bench too.

But I’m more the get a rack and barbell camp.

The problem with the “simple at home” stuff is you will get bored with a quickness.

Building muscle is about consistently training over time. Boredom is the enemy of this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not this.

View Quote

I have the Bowflex adjustable dumbells, they are pretty awesome.

OP, body weight HIIT is awesome and you can get a lot out of it without any weights.  Worth looking into as well.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What won't  these do?
View Quote
They're a fine option too. There's pros and cons to both. I like my powerblocks, but there certainly isn't anything inherently wrong with either one. If he thinks he'll want a barbell one day, it would make more sense to buy a dumbell that takes plates up front. That being said, I don't know how much weight those particular amazon basic ones can handle and 32lbs isn't much to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Stop beating around the bush.
Calculate a couple of years worth of gym memberships for the both of you.
Make the room and do a barbell, plates, and a power rack.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Garage gym reviews has a bunch of reviews of stuff https://www.garagegymreviews.com/

Are you doing bodyweight exercises as is? pushups, planks, pullups, etc?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#47]
#1 is Push Ups.

Then come resistance bands and a kettle bell.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I have some dial-a-weights from costco. dunno how much I paid but I'm sure it's embarassing.

Walmart has dial-a-weight free weights at around $110/pair.   Plenty enuf to get you started and beyond.  Recommend.

You can also find an interesting selection of weights at your local Salvation Army/Goodwill/thriftstore for super cheap. The more stores you visit, the bigger the selection.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What won't  these do?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbells and a rack.

Not this.

What won't  these do?

Mucho slower.  

I used those star dumbbells for years.  They worked fine.  

After a while-you advance past that.

These are WAY WAY more versatile and quick.

Changing weights is MUCH quicker.  

Gets to be awful laborious changing weights on those star dumbbells.

Buy once-cry once.  

You wanna go straight to the top-buy the adjustables.

Powerblocks, or the Bowflex selecttechs, are the way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe he doesn't need 100x more ways to work the same muscle groups in slightly different variations and doesn't want to deal with the crowd occupying the shit he actually wants to use.

It doesn't sound like OP is trying to attain a gymbro body and he can easily get what he needs at home with basic equipment.
View Quote
Just an option. Can spend short money on a gym membership for a period and if he sticks to it can figure what he needs for a home gym.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top