Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2018 1:20:39 PM EDT
In TN now, I gave my dad a 16in AR and a 9mm pistol, they are in my name on 4473s

My sister lives in CO and will get the via the will, my plan is to get her to choose an ffl in CO.

I use my ffl to send to her ffl, will she have to fill out a 4473? I want these out of my name

Pistol ships with no mags, all over 10 rd

AR will ship with no mags also, can a M16 bolt be transferred in  CO, or do I need to remove bolt?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In TN now, I gave my dad a 16in AR and a 9mm pistol, they are in my name on 4473s

My sister lives in CO and will get the via the will, my plan is to get her to choose an ffl in CO.

I use my ffl to send to her ffl, will she have to fill out a 4473? I want these out of my name

Pistol ships with no mags, all over 10 rd

AR will ship with no mags also, can a M16 bolt be transferred in  CO, or do I need to remove bolt?

Thanks
View Quote
Those guns are not in "Your" name, the 4473 is not a registration form, it is a simple back ground check authorization and the LGS that they were bought from keeps the form until they go out of business.  FFL are required to keep them in case of a trace on the weapon in the future, so that can figure out where it started life out.  But it is not a registration.  In the off chance if the gun is found, they might call you to see what or how you disposed of it.

Are there special laws in CO that required an inherited gun to go to a gun shop?

The M16 bolt is good to go, the M16 Bolt Control Group has been the norm in AR's for quite a while and the BATF has said they are good to go, the majority of AR's are so with the same BCG as the M16 BCG.

ETA:  I just looked it up and CO says a legitimate gift from a relative or an inherited firearm due to death does not require a background check in CO.

As I don't live in CO, I quickly did a search and found that information on another website, but it would seem if you know she is not a prohibited person, that you would be able to just transfer to her as an inherited gun and be on your way with no problems.

Again, I don't live in TN or CO, so I would make sure what both states laws are to make sure things are transferred legally.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA:  I just looked it up and CO says a legitimate gift from a relative or an inherited firearm due to death does not require a background check in CO.

As I don't live in CO, I quickly did a search and found that information on another website, but it would seem if you know she is not a prohibited person, that you would be able to just transfer to her as an inherited gun and be on your way with no problems.

Again, I don't live in TN or CO, so I would make sure what both states laws are to make sure things are transferred legally.
View Quote
Interstate transfer always requires an FFL unless it's acquired by inheritance; there is no exception for family member gifts from out of state.

OP can still send them to an FFL, even though that's not legally required in the case of a bequest, and have her do the 4473s and background check if OP wants a paper trail and it makes OP feel better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those guns are not in "Your" name, the 4473 is not a registration form, it is a simple back ground check authorization and the LGS that they were bought from keeps the form until they go out of business +20 years, or sent into the BATF.  FFL are required to keep them in case of a trace on the weapon in the future, so that can figure out where it started life out.  But it is not a registration.  In the off chance if the gun is found, they might call you to see what or how you disposed of it.
View Quote
Dunno about the Colorado part, but having a dealer put it on his books will validate that it is legally out of your possession.

Typical traces begin at the latest dealer that the sn comes up at.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Interstate transfer always requires an FFL unless it's acquired by inheritance; there is no exception for family member gifts from out of state.

OP can still send them to an FFL, even though that's not legally required in the case of a bequest, and have her do the 4473s and background check if OP wants a paper trail and it makes OP feel better.
View Quote
I didn't say needed to do it, I was basically looking at the regulations covering inherited guns in CO, if it makes him feel better then that is what should be done.  I did know that CO is a universal background check state.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dunno about the Colorado part, but having a dealer put it on his books will validate that it is legally out of your possession.

Typical traces begin at the latest dealer that the sn comes up at.
View Quote
I have had them call me for the information on a gun that I sold a few years ago as the original dealer and that I know for a fact went to another FFL after the guy I sold it to, he then sold to a gun shop who resold to another customer and they called both of us for information,  The gun ended up found at a crime scene.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I want a paper trail and I want her to have to fill out a 4473, I plan to wipe my hands clean

Great info on the bolt

Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top