Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2018 4:56:28 AM EDT
Curious what G.D. thinks of this. A colleague of mine received a jury duty notification recently.  She hasn't gone yet, so there is no way of knowing if she will get picked or anything, but my bosses response to this is interesting, and a little unsavory I think.

Basically the boss wants to "help" her get out of it, it's not clear to me how she will do this, but it's been brought up a couple of times and has suggested to this co-worker that she find ways to get out of it herself.  Personally I find it more than a little bit unprofessional, unsavory, and unethical.  In 20 years working for this company I've never encountered a manager that has encouraged anyone to get out of jury duty.

Jury Duty sucks, and is a huge inconvenience all around, but it's also the law, and a civic duty.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
That's incredibly lame.  Jury duty's an obligation of being a citizen.  Any supervisor worth his salt knows it's a fact of life employees are going to get called to jury duty.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know for a fact, but I would guess there are laws against that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the start of a good common law wrongful discharge claim if things go awry.  Potentially something statutory as well, depending how things shake out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Don’t want to serve in juries? Fine, but don’t expect to be judged by one if you’re ever the guy on trial. Don’t worry though, the state employee at the bench will decide your guilt.

Boss is a bad American to encourage someone to avoid their civic duty.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I got selected for jury duty out of group of 120 people a few weeks ago and the judge said something to us I hadn’t really thought about.  He said that since we no longer have a draft jury duty is the only service citizens are compelled by government to preform.

I know CSB.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been called twice, dismissed twice, both over the phone. It's not hard to avoid it if you don't want to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
There are legitimate and legal ways to get out of jury duty.

Other than that, looking for a way to skirt the system is not only illegal it makes you a...

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a jury duty summons for Monday.  I will drive my private vehicle to the courthouse, park my gun in a locker, take my summons to the jury room and wait to be called, by people who know me.  I will sit in the room waiting to be voir dired where I will say I'm a cop, know all the cops involved in the case and promptly be dismissed to go home, put on my uniform, get in my cruiser and go to work.  There is no getting out of it.

We have had deputies have to go through this process even when they were the primary investigator on the case to be heard.  One stepped out of the jury box and walked right over to sit down at the prosecution table.
View Quote
That sucks. What a colossal waste of everyone’s time. We’re automatically exempted by state law. Just check the little box and send it back. It’s still possible to get federal jury duty but you’re not likely to serve for obvious reasons.

Your state chief or sheriffs organization needs to work on that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Two of the three times I've been summoned I really wanted to do it, but wound up not being selected.  The third time was just a few days after we took our son home from the hospital (surprise adoption) and I tried as hard as I could to get out of it. Turns out everyone changed their pleas to guilty so we were dismissed.

I still really want to do it someday; why won't they pick me?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Been out of LE, since 2013, and still haven't been called.

I believe I'm still on the "Do Not Ever Call" list.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the perks about being a LEO is it practically disqualifies you from jury duty.

Automatic at the fed level.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
The same people who complain about stupid jury verdicts are the ones doing everything possible to avoid jury duty themselves.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm an engineer,no lawyer ever wants engineers on a jury.

0 for 5 for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll do everything legally possible to avoid jury duty for the simple fact that anyone with half a brain will get voted off by the lawyers.  Why waste my time going to the court house, and wasting a day (or more) when I KNOW whats going to happen.

Lawyers want idiots who are easily persuaded by bullshit arguments.  People who use logic and are capable of independent thought are to be avoided at all costs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been called twice, dismissed twice, both over the phone. It's not hard to avoid it if you don't want to go.
View Quote
It is here. Judge will send someone for you. You better have called in ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One of the perks about being a LEO is it practically disqualifies you from jury duty.

Automatic at the fed level.
View Quote
How is that a perk?

Or are you one of those peices of shit who thinks they shouldn't do jury duty?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That sucks. What a colossal waste of everyone’s time. We’re automatically exempted by state law. Just check the little box and send it back. It’s still possible to get federal jury duty but you’re not likely to serve for obvious reasons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a jury duty summons for Monday.  I will drive my private vehicle to the courthouse, park my gun in a locker, take my summons to the jury room and wait to be called, by people who know me.  I will sit in the room waiting to be voir dired where I will say I'm a cop, know all the cops involved in the case and promptly be dismissed to go home, put on my uniform, get in my cruiser and go to work.  There is no getting out of it.

We have had deputies have to go through this process even when they were the primary investigator on the case to be heard.  One stepped out of the jury box and walked right over to sit down at the prosecution table.
We were exempted from criminal cases but could serve on civil cases. I still got called down for a criminal case once though. After that I didn't show up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I just got a notification of jury duty (did it way back in the early 70s, attempted murder case).  I was shocked at the number of folks who said I should just make up something to get out of it.  I told them that while I can't reasonably do it right now (a new term of classes are just starting), I could probably do it in the summer.  So I simply went on the web site and postponed until the Summer. But it was shocking that almost everyone I mentioned it to said I should lie to get out of it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless you get the trial of the century  most jury duty service will take less than a week, if not less than 2-3 days around here. Is the employee THAT important to the company’s operations? If so, God help them if she were allowed vacation or maternity leave. They’d have to close the business down.

I just don’t get bosses like this. At my company we get paid full wages for jury duty and all the courts in the area know it. There is almost no way to get out of serving unless you can pull the health issue, or the “I hate (insert racial or ethnic term) bastards” card. So when we get summoned, we bring in the notice and go. The bosses don’t even blink an eye.

I got called only once about 27 years ago, and was picked to serve on a DUI case. We found him guilty and were dismissed in 2 days. It should have been 1 day, but our foreperson was a bleeding heart crybaby that didn’t want to send anyone to jail. She actually cried when the rest of us got her to finally look at the evidence and get her feels out of the way. I mean really, the drunk asshole literally pulled out of the bar at closing time, sideswiping a northbound police car, making him spin out in the front lawn of a church, and tried to leave the scene.

All in all it was very interesting to witness first hand how the judicial system works. I think like most folks I do my damnedest to stay out of court, so this was a life experience I actually appreciate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

0 for 5 for me.
View Quote
Funny, because the only time I was seated as a juror was *because* I was a lawyer. I was seated behind the defense table and overheard the discussion between the defense lawyer and his defendant. "He's an engineer, he can be objective." Funny thing - it was a child molestation case and he must have missed the fact that my daughter had been born only a couple years before.

It wound up not mattering anyway. The prosecution's star witness, the half sister of the victim, spent all of her testimony telling everyone how her (13 year old) sister was a whore and how *she* initiated the blowjob on the defendant - their mother's live in boyfriend. The prosecutor hadn't even interviewed her before the trial, and when he asked to treat his own witness as hostile, there was an objection, a bench conference, and the prosecutor asked for a mistrial. Which was dumb, because we did an informal poll between the declaration of a mistrial and being dismissed, and we all thought he was guilty - both of getting blowjobs from the victim AND probably also fucking the two older sisters.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I've gotten notice for jury duty 2 or 3 times.  Each time was for 30 days and I never once went to the courthouse.  I called a number each morning and was told not to report.  I'd kind of like to sit on a jury once.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got selected for jury duty out of group of 120 people a few weeks ago and the judge said something to us I hadn’t really thought about.  He said that since we no longer have a draft jury duty is the only service citizens are compelled by government to preform.

I know CSB.
View Quote
Taxes?
Obeying the law?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I have never been summoned for Jury Duty.

I would love to sit on a jury once just to know the process from their perspective.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
NY doesn't exempt that anymore.
I told them, they said too bad you have to report anyway.
I went, wasted half the day before I was finally dismissed because "cops know more about the law than everyone else & their vote would be more heavily weighted in the jury room" by the rubes they serve with.

And they don't even make it easy for you to serve on a jury - there's never any parking, there's no public transportation, & it's not just a 5 minute drive to get there.
It's like they make it as inconvenient as possible on purpose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been called a half dozen times....served once, on a civil case.....We managed to piss off both the plaintiffs and the defendants. The defendants had obviously wronged the plaintiffs, just not to the level that the plaintiffs were claiming.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would love to sit on a jury once just to know the process from their perspective.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why not just drive your cruiser and change when you get to work?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Boss is a prick.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did once, back when i lived in Philadelphia.  It was a drug case, and incredibly boring. Mainly a line up of CSI types stating that the drugs were found in the defendant bag or on him, had good finger prints, and how they tested to determine what they were. No drama what so ever.

We did actually let the guy off of the gun charge; it was in I think his girlfriends room but they tried to pin it on him, but no prints or evidence it was his.

Still took a week, when they probably could have done it in about two days. Lots of recess and wasted time, iirc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lawyers want idiots who are easily persuaded by bullshit arguments.  People who use logic and are capable of independent thought are to be avoided at all costs.
View Quote
This, and it pisses me off. Apparently dressing appropriately (khakis and button-up shirt) and speaking intelligently is an automatic disqualifier. The dude with a pot leaf on the hat he wears over his unwashed hair who can barely mumble English gets in every time. Every step of the selection process appears designed to weed out the good people. Even the people running it where I live made a joke about how the only people who showed up were the ones too dumb to come up with an excuse. It's really changed my feelings about a jury of my 'peers.'

I'm 0 for 7 so far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll do everything legally possible to avoid jury duty for the simple fact that anyone with half a brain will get voted off by the lawyers.  Why waste my time going to the court house, and wasting a day (or more) when I KNOW whats going to happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

0 for 5 for me.

Last trial I was at had 2 doctors on the jury.
I've seen engineers and psychologists as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's a tired old line of bull that is not worthy of an engineer.  I doubt that it is true in NC, and I attest from first hand experience that it is not true in Missouri or in Federal courts.

If I was within earshot of the boss in the first post, I would give him my thoughts on his attitude and comments, and strongly consider working my way up his food chain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

0 for 5 for me.
That's a tired old line of bull that is not worthy of an engineer.  I doubt that it is true in NC, and I attest from first hand experience that it is not true in Missouri or in Federal courts.

If I was within earshot of the boss in the first post, I would give him my thoughts on his attitude and comments, and strongly consider working my way up his food chain.
It is true. He didn't say the judge or system wouldn't allow them - he stated the lawyers would dismiss them. Every male in my family for multiple generations has been an engineer. Besides all the good jokes at Christmas dinner, there are some trends one can easily see. None of the males in my family have ever served jury duty despite probably 100+ times of showing up, and the statement above about not wanting logical or analytical people has been stated. It's not a state-by-state thing. Lawyers want someone they can sway and convince with emotion and just enough facts to be convincing. Analytical/logical people look at facts and tend to filter out noise and emotion. That's not good for business.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Letter about lost time and wages, no PTO. You'll get excused in a heartbeat or say you're racist. That's always works.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It is true. He didn't say the judge or system wouldn't allow them - he stated the lawyers would dismiss them. Every male in my family for multiple generations has been an engineer. Besides all the good jokes at Christmas dinner, there are some trends one can easily see. None of the males in my family have ever served jury duty despite probably 100+ times of showing up, and the statement above about not wanting logical or analytical people has been stated. It's not a state-by-state thing. Lawyers want someone they can sway and convince with emotion and just enough facts to be convincing. Analytical/logical people look at facts and tend to filter out noise and emotion. That's not good for business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0 for 5 for me.

Engineers also tend to apply their own solutions and mechanisms to better systems they see as incomplete or incorrect.

It isn't because engineers are too smart, but that they think they are too smart.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#42]
My cousin is the CHIEF of police for a METRO area police department and got called for jury duty.

He showed up for voir dire in full uniform (I don't even think his uniforms fit him anymore, he hadn't worn one in so long...).

The judge thanked him for his time...then sent him over to civil side of the court house . The judge told him he WOULD indeed serve his jury duty...cop or not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#43]
The right to a jury of one's peers is a fundamental American Right.  If I'm ever charged with a crime, I want working people like myself on the jury.  I think your boss is not very patriotic.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Yup, your boss is an ass! Active duty military can't even get out of jury duty. I was selected for a second time since being stationed in Id, but it was the month I was leaving for my deployment, so they sent me a nice letter excusing me from the month I had been selected and told me I will have it in June of 2018!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I observed an assault on police trial. They kicked the retired cop off the jury and after an hour the defendant walked free. Who gives a shit about evidence when you have feelings?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#46]
A boss told an employee she wasn't allowed to go to jury duty, even threatened her job if she did (iirc).  Lady showed up to court crying, judge questioned her, she explained the situation, and boss was hauled into court shortly after to explain himself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Probably 10 years ago, I had a three man team of electronic specialists covering West Texas & NM.  One of those guys, who lived and worked out of Fort Stockton, TX, was selected for a federal Grand Jury,  which then got handed a major corruption case that went on forever...since the case was not wrapped up at the end of the jury term, the jurors were held over for a second YEAR. IIRC he ended up loosing  over 140 days of work and logged about 34,000 miles on his work truck driving back and forth.  We paid his regular salary for all of that, and the two guys trying to cover his workload were in San Antonio and Lubbock, so they ran their asses off.   That cost our company close to $100,000
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Last year was genuinely the craziest year the company I work for has ever been through, at least for accountants.

When I got the letter in 2016 saying I would serve last year, my boss wrote the judge a letter explaining our situation.

The judge made it very clear that I wasn't getting out of it (I honestly don't want to get out of it), but he did delay it, so I'm expecting another letter anytime now.

Unless there is actually something preventing it, the boss is better off getting it out of the way, at least in my limited experience.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I doubt the senior mgmt/owners of the company would support the boss on this. Maybe they should find out what she's trying to do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

0 for 5 for me.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

Exactly.  If I'm defense counsel then my perfect jury would be full of people with highly technical jobs that moonlight as a pastor.

attention to detail so they can tell where the hole in the case is and they preach forgiveness every day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top