Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
A close family friend was a crew chief on a Huey with the 11th Cav back in those days. He said it was an interesting feeling knowing your job was to be a speed bump
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I was TDY in 86, billet and Landstuhl, commuted to Rammstein.

Zulu Alert: Jets had to be in the air in under 5 minutes from when the Klaxon went off. I believe someplace on YouTube there is a vid of some F-4's taking the taxiway at a rather high rate of speed onto the runway.

We would drink at a little hole in the wall bar in Landstuhl, I believe its name was The Keller. One of the guys I was stationed there with ended up knocking boots with the bar maid there, on a regular bassis... A rather ruff looking gal with a deep voice for a gal, could be due to her smoking... Manwela (SP) was her name.... The hill going back up to the base out of Landstuhl was rather steep with switchback's, it was a long walk for a stumbling drunk.. Even longer if you fell over the side of the hill when the guard rails disappear..

Anyway, this is the only vid I could find.

Scramble Happy Hooligan F-4D's.mp4
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Zulu Alert: Jets had to be in the air in under 5 minutes from when the Klaxon went off. I believe someplace on YouTube there is a vid of some F-4's taking the taxiway at a rather high rate of speed onto the runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pKVlLCnSU
View Quote

We had F-15’s on “Zulu” alert 24/7 at Bitburg

Bitburg Air Base F-15 Zulu Alert Take-Off
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZu4gRfYgA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6pKVlLCnSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZu4gRfYgA

We TDY'd in to cover alert for Ramstein while they converted from F-4E's to F-16's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I gotta ask........While I understand it was a black comedy, how close was the movie Buffalo Soldiers to
the type of shit that went down in that era. A buddy who served in Germany during the Cold War put me on to this flick:

https://i.imgur.com/5ZlFsNy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAXDWjXsvzw
View Quote

Looks like I know what I'll be watching next.  

I don't remember anyone stoned out of their gourds like that but there was at least one one or two cases of dudes who pretended to be taking an M113 to the wash bay and instead went on a road trip until they ran out of fuel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

F the Red Cross. My uncle was an infantryman in WWII ETO. Like every other guy who spent time at the front, he hated the Red Cross. Any service they performed was done so grudgingly, and GIs resented having to pay for items that Americans had donated for the troops. Nothing in my experience indicated that my uncle had it wrong. An example:

A SGT in my unit had his father on his deathbed. As was normal with a married E-5 with kids, living in an apartment off base was tight on the family budget. He also had a small leave balance and there was also going to be the cost of a flight back to the States. The timing was going to be critical because if he left too soon, he wold go into deficit on leave and have the expenses while in the States. So, knowing the medical condition of his father every day was critical to getting the proper timing of all of the emergency leave stuff done. International phone calls were still costly, and hours of talk time would be another strain on the budget. The solution was Red Cross messages. After a few days of Red Cross messages back and forth, I get a visit from the Red Cross rep. "You gotta tell this guy to lay off the Red Cross messages. This is costing us too much money."

This gave me the opportunity to give the Red Cross rep the benefit of my thinking on the usefulness of the service performed and overall contribution to the mission of US Army Europe in general. I also mentioned that any further interaction would result in my research into what it would take to have the rep banned from post, and disqualifying the Red Cross as an organization providing charitable services to the US Army in favor of the Salvation Army and USO. Both of those organizations just helped GIs no questions asked period.
View Quote
To be fair regarding Red Cross during WW2, US high command directed them to charge GIs for coffee/donuts because British soldiers had always been charged and they didn't want free coffee to wear on esprit de corps.

The book There's a War to be Won is an excellent write up on the logistical effort that went into the war.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2082893.There_s_a_War_to_Be_Won

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Echo Co. 2/6 Infantry checking in.

‘88-89.

Black Bear
Pils Eckla

We were at Range 305 in Graf shooting.50’s.
Tracers were starting fires so we had to remove
all of them, about 40 cans worth.

Little bit later, the CO comes to me and asks
if he could shoot my .50. No problem sir.

What does he grab, a 100 round belt of tracer
and proceeded to rip it off into the woods. Of
course it started another fire, and he bailed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you know SGT Dodge Powell?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
82nd Engineer Bn, Bamberg. 82-83, 89-92

We were suppose to blow the routes in our sector that would allow ruski armor to roll into West Germany. I doubt we would have even made it out of the motor pool, much less to our targets. Also had 2 ADM nuke targets, big autobahn bridges... One on the 3 just east of Wurzburg, and one on the 9 close to the Czech border. No fucking around. No soy boys need apply.
Did you know SGT Dodge Powell?

Prior to the breech, no. Everyone knew of him after the 27th. One other KIA and a few injured from our Bn in the same battle w/50-12 Armor. Sad day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We would drink at a little hole in the wall bar in Landstuhl, I believe its name was The Keller.
View Quote

Brickskeller, literally a brick cellar.

I was a regular at Schaeferstube.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The movies at the time that showed military brats being able to get away with a lot of stuff on an air base were not too far from the truth.  We'd go everywhere on our bmx bikes, past sleepy guards and all around the ammo bunkers, across the runway, perimeter bunkers, anywhere we wanted.  If an adult tried to do that, I'm sure they would have been shot.
View Quote
I remember that documentary

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Prior to the breech, no. Everyone knew of him after the 27th. One other KIA and a few injured from our Bn in the same battle w/50-12 Armor. Sad day.
View Quote
Dodge was my best friend. I was pretty tight with his whole squad. (smh)

Dodge was an excellent soccer player and actually played professional soccer in the Bundesliga.
As best I remember at the time, Schweinfurt was a Klasse "C" team and he played for them one season. The owner was a Greek that owned a Gasthaus & bar. We watched the Germans play/win the 1990 World Cup back when Lothar Matthaus & Jurgen Klinsmann were on the team, in the owner's bar, drinking Ouzo. Good times!

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Combat Engineer 12B10. 547th Combat Engineer Bn. Darmstadt Germany Kelly Barracks. 1976-79. Pics are from demo training and Reforger maneuver damage.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Noted your We Work Weekends patch!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79217/raytnt_JPG-1803756.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79217/raymavdamage_JPG-1803758.JPG

Combat Engineer 12B10. Darmstadt Germany Kelly Barracks. 1976-79. Pics are from demo training and Reforger maneuver damage.

View Quote
Sappers IN!

ETA: Or the above. lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the cultural difference in renting an apartment in Germany was that it would be unfurnished meaning bare kitchen and no light fixtures. You had to pay to have that (including the kitchen sink) installed. Depending on your capitalistic instincts, this was an opportunity for a deal to be made. The sales tax on this work was going to be 14%. If you told the tradesman doing the job, you did not need a receipt (code in German for off the books work) it would cost less. If you were willing to toss American cigarettes and Jack Daniels into the deal, a bigger price break would occur.
View Quote

at first I was like WTF?

But then I remembered renting a house in Louisiana outside Fort Polk, that had a cutout for the dishwasher in the kitchen cabinets, and the landlord refused to let us purchase a brand new dishwasher from the PX on our dime, install it on our dime, and leave it behind when we moved out because, in his words, "I don't trust them thangs; they're too newfangled for me."  True story.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was Doug's team leader. We had many shenanigans together that he described in the book.
View Quote

I just ordered the book because I was at the "other" Pershing unit in Schwäbisch Gmünd in the same timeframe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was Doug's team leader. We had many shenanigans together that he described in the book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
C Co 2d BN 4th INF, 56th Field Artillery BDE (Pershing) from 86-88.

Yes there were infantry guys, a whole BN, assigned to a FA BDE.

A guy in our unit wrote a book about it, warts and all.

SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat

https://i.imgur.com/kP8G1V8l.jpg

I knew Doug through another internet forum and read his book several years ago. Good stuff.

Just got the kindle version.   Thanks for highlighting this book.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did you ever go to Frankenstein's Castle?  Some of the US folks from Darmstadt started having a big Halloween festival there in that time frame and it's turned into a major event that still goes on even after the US forces are gone (we were there '77-79, Dad was with the 32nd AADCOM, I believe).
View Quote

I remember stopping in Frankenstein on the train home after a weekend in either Bad Durkheim or Mannheim.  It was probably Bad Durkheim. My one life regret to too much drinking and not enough traveling.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just ordered the book because I was at the "other" Pershing unit in Schwäbisch Gmünd in the same timeframe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I knew you'd check in.

Quoted:

Just got the kindle version.   Thanks for highlighting this book.

Don't expect some great tome, written by Shakespeare. It's just a first hand account of someone in a unit that had milliseconds to live if the balloon went up. We had the local protestors, all the European terrorists, Spetsnaz, and the entire Soviet nuclear force looking to kill us.

Doug's book is written in plain 11B English, so it's an easy read.

I'm Jeff Pojar in the book.

Doug changed the names of people that were still on active duty to hide their identity, mine included, when he wrote the book.  He also rearranged a few time lines and incidents, but only a very few.

My signed copy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a college professor that was a teenager behind the iron curtain during the Cold War. He told us a story about how they’d bring young men out to ride along in the tanks as a way of showing the strength and might of the communist system.

He mentioned that in a rare moment of candor one of the tank drivers mentioned how much he hated his job. He inquired about why and the said, “if we get orders to cross into West Germany, they American helicopters will shoot us like fish in a barrel”

It seems there was fatalism on both sides.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you ever go to Frankenstein's Castle?  Some of the US folks from Darmstadt started having a big Halloween festival there in that time frame and it's turned into a major event that still goes on even after the US forces are gone (we were there '77-79, Dad was with the 32nd AADCOM, I believe).
View Quote

Yes, It was a place everyone had to check out because of the name. The place had a great view of Darmstadt. I don't recall the Halloween Festival.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Noted your We Work Weekends patch!
View Quote

547th was in the field over 6 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Trip to East German border. East Germans patrol their side.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#31]
If this was covered then disregard but if anyone listens to the Jocko podcast, make sure you listen to episode 223 with Pat McNamara. He was over there during that time and used to cross into East Germany as part of his duties so he has some cool stories to tell.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Zweibrucken 1972 - 1974. It was a forward nuclear base then with F4C and F4D jets. By the end of that first year, all of the nukes and fighters had been dispersed to Hahn, Bitburg and Spangdahlem and the RF-4Cs consolidated to "Sunny Zwei." Got there just before Black September. Fun times, those.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Near Frankfurt?  I think we visited the castle after a trip to the hospital at Wiesbaden with my youngest. It’s a ruin if I remember right?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dodge was an excellent soccer player and actually played professional soccer in the Bundesliga.
As best I remember at the time, Schweinfurt was a Klasse "C" team and he played for them one season. The owner was a Greek that owned a Gasthaus & bar. We watched the Germans play/win the 1990 World Cup back when Lothar Matthaus & Jurgen Klinsmann were on the team, in the owner's bar, drinking Ouzo. Good times!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1990 Germany winning was Epic

the Party on the Ku'dam in Berlin was awesome

I remember it still very much

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Re-unification has destroyed German society. It is now a nation of sitzpinkler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grew up in West Germany. I miss it so.
Came to the states in 94. Different place these days.

Re-unification has destroyed German society. It is now a nation of sitzpinkler.

das ist leider zum grossten teil wahr

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#38]
1st BN 70th Armor Wiesbaden Air Base Jan 83-April 84 then 1st BN 69th Armor at Lee Barracks in Mainz until Jan 86. I retired in 2001.

Great times, seems like it was another life...

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#39]
D and then A / 5-8 INF, followed by D/3-8 once 5/8 deactivated, 1st Bde, 8th ID(M), Lee Barracks, Mainz-Gonsenheim, Jan 90 to NOV 91
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To be fair regarding Red Cross during WW2, US high command directed them to charge GIs for coffee/donuts because British soldiers had always been charged and they didn't want free coffee to wear on esprit de corps.

The book There's a War to be Won is an excellent write up on the logistical effort that went into the war.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2082893.There_s_a_War_to_Be_Won

View Quote

To be fair, Fuck the Red Cross, they were not part of the military and did not take orders from "the US High Command".  The Salvation Army gave my father a Cup of Coffee and a Doughnut as he got off the troop ship in England.   Right after the Red Cross offered to sell him a doughnut and cup of coffee for a Nickle.  He told them to fuck right off. At the time you could see a fist run movie, get a coke and a box of popcorn or Ten Cents.  So around $50 in today's money.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

at first I was like WTF?

But then I remembered renting a house in Louisiana outside Fort Polk, that had a cutout for the dishwasher in the kitchen cabinets, and the landlord refused to let us purchase a brand new dishwasher from the PX on our dime, install it on our dime, and leave it behind when we moved out because, in his words, "I don't trust them thangs; they're too newfangled for me."  True story.
View Quote

In 2002 I was a Department of the Army Civilian working between Heidelberg and Mannheim. The "Kitchen" in my house in Weinheim had hot and cold water faucets and a drain pipe on the wall with bare wires hanging from the ceiling for a light.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Echo Co. 2/6 Infantry checking in.

‘88-89.

Black Bear
Pils Eckla

We were at Range 305 in Graf shooting.50’s.
Tracers were starting fires so we had to remove
all of them, about 40 cans worth.

Little bit later, the CO comes to me and asks
if he could shoot my .50. No problem sir.

What does he grab, a 100 round belt of tracer
and proceeded to rip it off into the woods. Of
course it started another fire, and he bailed.
View Quote

@Stump70

Was Kilpinski still there as a 1sgt, or Sgt Major?

His daughter was literally built like a brick shit house, then we found out she was only 14.
 That was about 85' so legal when you were there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
C Co. 3-36 IN, 3AD, 1984-1987, Kirchgoens, Ayers Kaserne, The Rock
B Co. 6-6 IN, 1AD, 1990-1991, Bamberg, Warner Barracks

Three years on the Rock in the 80's, we spent a lot of time in the field training for the Soviets to come through the Fulda Gap.

My time in Bamberg was limited due to deploying to Desert Shield/Storm and deactivation upon return for the drawdown.

View Quote
Ayers Kaserne, a shitload of armor in one place, in the middle of nowhere.  B Btry 2/3 FA 1986-1990.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
D Co, 1st Bn, 37th Armor, 1st Armored Division. Rose Barracks, Vilseck, March 1990-March 1992.

We were training for CAT '91. Dana J.H. Pittard was our CO. Grafenwohr was our second home for much of my time there. Especially Range 301 and the Calibration Complex.

When When Iraq/Kuwait happened, we pulled out of the competition to go to Desert Shield/Storm instead. We landed in Saudi Arabia on New Year's Eve.

My buddies and I spent plenty of time in the Green Goose and Nashville (Later the Miami) in Vilseck, but our favorite place was Discothek Happy Rock in Sulzbach-Rosenberg, not too far from Amberg or Nuremberg. It was far enough away from base to keep the number of Americans there to a minimum.

Bumper sticker from there:

One of the coolest things I did was participate in a Schutzenschnur. We went to Eisber Kaserne (sp?) and spend a couple days drinking with the Bundeswehr and shooting their weapons. I got a silver badge, missed gold by 2 or 3 points because the Uzi on auto was a bitch to keep on target.

When I ETS'ed back to the states, I promptly got a passport and went back to Germany to continue hanging out with my Fraulein and I lived on the economy for almost another year. I worked on base at an AAFES store and had a tiny flat in Sulzbach. Those were good times.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I was a Cold War kid.  I spent 71-74 in Heilbronn and 77-80 in Furth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Lee Barracks was a great place to be stationed?

What building were you in?

I was there from 89 to 91 and our battalion was in the main gate U shaped building that you drove under to get on the barracks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lee Barracks was a great place to be stationed?

What building were you in?

I was there from 89 to 91 and our battalion was in the main gate U shaped building that you drove under to get on the barracks.
View Quote

IIRC when you entered the main gate, we were right there to the left. Seems like I remember the motor pool was next to the back gate, which I always used to come and go because I still lived in housing in Wiesbaden. We had to go under the building and through a walk way to get to the motor pool, mess hall, PX, etc. I remember a large parade field as well. Sounds like we were in the same U shape building, we would have been on the west wing? I am assuming, it's been a long time, the main gate was at the south end of Lee Barracks?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

To be fair, Fuck the Red Cross, they were not part of the military and did not take orders from "the US High Command".  The Salvation Army gave my father a Cup of Coffee and a Doughnut as he got off the troop ship in England.   Right after the Red Cross offered to sell him a doughnut and cup of coffee for a Nickle.  He told them to fuck right off. At the time you could see a fist run movie, get a coke and a box of popcorn or Ten Cents.  So around $50 in today's money.  
View Quote

I used to live in Kansas.  I saw the Red Cross Fuckery first hand after tornados.  I was never hit at my house, but I had a rent house damaged by the tornado at hit McConnell AFB and my brother and his family had a narrow escape.  Helped clean up after a few others.

Typical deal after a big tornado...

Pizza Hut shows up in what looks like a beer truck but is loaded with hot pizza, they hand out free pizza, soda and water.

Salvation Army is there day and night, handing sandwiches, water, lemonade, blankets, gloves, boots, clothes etc.  All free.

Mennonite relief shows up with men and tools and flatbed trucks, ready to work and they bust their asses and stay until the job is done.

Local businesses show up with free food and drinks.

Red Cross has a few bologna sandwiches and cool aid, and charges for all of it.

I have donated to the Salvation Army and to Mennonite Relief.  Not a dime to Red Cross.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone else go stereo component shopping in that huge as complex in K-town?

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top