Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2020 8:44:17 AM EDT
I've been meaning to try Col. Conk soap for too many years and as I recently scored a small puck of the Bay Rum I decided to give it a try.

As it's a glycerin-based soap (no tallow) it placed the puk in an Old Spice shaving mug and microwaved it for about 15 seconds...just enough to partially melt it to fill the bottom of the mug (and catch the little 'spikes' inside).

After the soap cooled I did a test lather and shave using a Yaqui synth brush and the Timeless lathering bowl.

Soap has a pleasant but not overly strong scent of bay rum and the scent is strikingly similar to Old Spice.

Results were impressive. Loaded the brush for about a minute then easily created a cloud of lather using the bowl.

Lather is pretty slick to the touch and got a good shave. Skin felt soft and smooth afterward.

Along with Arko the Conk soaps usually fall on the bottom of the price category but I wouldn't let that deter anyone from giving it a try esp. those on a budget.

I have read that this brand lathers well in harder water.

The mfr. of Conk soaps posted to Badger and Blade that they have reformulated these soaps the difference is they are using an increased amount of scent. The new generation pucks are packaged with a white label vs. the older gold label.

IMO a good price to performance ratio for a puck that cost less than $3.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it.  I find it dries out a bit quick, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
I use it.  I find it dries out a bit quick, though.
View Quote

Last time I lathered the Conk soap I added a pea-sized bit of Godrej Sensitive Skin cream to the lather bowl to make an "Uberlather" or "Frankenlather". Works well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Good review!

I use Col Conk and will typically buy the 4 puck variety pack,  It's not elegant and possibly uncouth, but I load the brush directly in the plastic container they come in and build lather on the side of my head.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
How would it work out of a cold canteen cup?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Not fancy but I like it. Been my go to for years!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top