User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Listen to this man. This dude probably has more engine failures and off-airport landings than 95% of commercial pilots on this page, if not on earth.
View Quote
Right that pilot seemed to take his time in making a choice. In the heat of the moment though you can't really judge him.(also watched without sound)
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Right that pilot seemed to take his time in making a choice. In the heat of the moment though you can't really judge him.(also watched without sound)
View Quote
Believe me it didn’t seem like that to him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
All that money and no skill.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m no pilot but that last turn looked scary. Glad he was able to walk away.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Believe me it didn’t seem like that to him.
View Quote
Having dead sticked a pa28r in I completely get it! I got lucky and was able to squeak it in. Looking back should have landed straight ahead, as it was I made the corner but was banked about 45 15 foot of the ground lol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have two members here who have landed their aircraft on roads, but none that I know of that "arrived" in a field.
View Quote
We have at least 1 member here who has landed in a field twice and we have a member who landed on the beech on the gulf Coast
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
He had a paved road to the left, if he chose to land it 15seconds earlier he could have made the road.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He had a paved road to the left, if he chose to land it 15seconds earlier he could have made the road.
View Quote
I'm just a welder who rode around on ships but I think dead sticking on an active freeway would have been a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm just a welder who rode around on ships but I think dead sticking on an active freeway would have been a bad idea.
View Quote
It depends.  Lots of traffic you stay off.  A random car a mile and a half off when land and you cross your fingers they figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I am reading this thread listening to the morning news and hear there’s a search on for a plane with just a pilot missing since last night.  The believe he’s on Bald Mountain in Vt.

Flying around mountains and losing engine power or visibility is bad.  I think yesterday was cloudy all day and it might have been THE factor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Roads, even seemingly deserted ones may not be your best option.  There are lots of things in close proximity to roads that make the situation worse.  Bridges, power lines, signs and sign posts, light poles, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not just shut the engine off completely at that point?

ETA: I asked my dad who’s a pilot and he said human instinct makes it difficult to do but he said cutting the master and doing a dead-stick landing is what he would have attempted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have at least 1 member here who has landed in a field twice and we have a member who landed on the beech on the gulf Coast
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have two members here who have landed their aircraft on roads, but none that I know of that "arrived" in a field.
How about a Husky in a field, a Husky in deep snow on a frozen lake, and a flaming F-4 splattered into beer cans on a runway?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How about a Husky in a field, a Husky in deep snow on a frozen lake, and a flaming F-4 splattered into beer cans on a runway?
View Quote
damn
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m not a pilot, but it looked like he handled himself well to me.

My dad bought a1946 Ercoupe a few years back and had one of his crop duster friends help ferry it back from Louisiana to North Carolina.  Over Georgia, the cockpit filled with smoke and the engine quit. The old crop duster opened the canopy and calmly dead-sticked (dead-yoked?) it into a tiny cow pasture with no damage. When the plane stopped he looked at my dad and said, “Well, that’s number twelve for me.” Referring to his number of off-field landings. He was a full-time crop duster for 30+ years.

If the engine had quit five minutes later he would have been over a National or state forest with nowhere to land but trees.  Although the engine was newly rebuilt with only a dozen or so hours SMOH, they did something wrong with the fuel/carburetor and the engine was running way too lean and that caused the catastrophic failure.

Here’s a pic of us loading it onto a trailer and towing it home. We took the wings off before the trip

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Good post. The pilot was a pro!
I didn't watch the 30 minute
version, but I would guess that
he pulled the gear back in the
likelyhood that they would not
be fully extended & locked by the
time he touched down. That would
would have been much worse than
gear up.

About 10 seconds in this vid, but with
what I would guess is new gear & a
fully functioning hydraulic supply.

Can't Embed Vid
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#17]
That looked painful
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dude is a boss. His last minute decision easily saved his life.
View Quote
He started bleeding energy bad, that wings level move saved his ass.  Any sort of turn would have killed him for sure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Good for him.
Where there is pain and suffering there is opportunity.

Even if it's just to document and learn.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, he’s got me by 3. But no fucking way am I putting down a P51 immediately on an unimproved field when I have partial power. Whatever though. No one lets me fly them anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Samuse. Have you been to the aviation page lately? Dude has more engine failures and off-airport landings than any dude I know. Something like 5 in the past 1800 hours.
Well, he’s got me by 3. But no fucking way am I putting down a P51 immediately on an unimproved field when I have partial power. Whatever though. No one lets me fly them anyway.
There's also something to be said for having your crash in close proximity to fire and rescue assets but I would agree that you don't want to trade bad for worse in trying to make a runway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
why he pull his gear up? were not those planes designed to land on grass and rough runways?
View Quote
Prepared grass strips. There is a difference between that and a pothole rut filled farmers field.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Nerves of steels. Balls too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a pilot (took some lessons but didn't take it to the license for cost/income ratio reasons)  but that last turn didn't seem to me like a great idea.

Low to the ground with a dud engine,  no great excess of airspeed,  not the time I'd want to bleed energy in anything resembling a hard turn.   It doesn't take much to stall the inboard wingtip and in that situation you will probably burn and die.

The first moment that engine coughed I'd be looking for SAFE LANDING SPACE NOW.  Hopefully right in front of me, clear of obstructions, and a paved surface, or a hard packed one if possible.

I'm not bold.   A flaky engine means I want to get down as fast and safely as is possible.

And, yes, I want to keep the plane as pretty as possible.   Because that means the meatbag in the pilot's seat will also remain as pretty as  possible...alive and hopefully unhurt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dude is a boss. His last minute decision easily saved his life.
View Quote
P-51 Engine Out, Off-Airport Landing - Full Analysis
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top