Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2024 11:40:44 PM EDT
My son's question:  clutch not fully disengaging, grinding in 4th and reverse, transmitting power in all gears (tr3650)

Recently rebuilt my tremec tr3650 transmission out of my 05 mustang gt and put it back in with a new clutch, pressure plate, and hydraulic throw out bearing. Now that ive got everything together the transmission goes into every gear clean while the car is off but when i turn it on it goes into every gear besides 4th and reverse. And when it goes into 4th or reverse it grinds. Whenever i go into any gear its transmitting a little power, not enough to move the car but enough to spin wheels with the back end in the air. This points me to clutch not fully disengaging. I feel that ive properly bled the system, and cant find anything about adjusting the clutch throw, what do I do? Im 18 and this is my first time im very inexperienced.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you replace the pilot bearing?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fence_Post] [#2]
4 & R are direct. They will work even if multiple other gears are missing inside. It’s been a long while since I had a 3650 apart but it’s going to have to be removed and torn down to find the issue.

Disregard. I misread your post.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:49:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#3]
Bleed it again, use a power bleeder. You probably have air in the lines still. Clutch hydraulic lines tend to be  PITA to bleed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to verify that the system has been bled properly, try pumping the clutch pedal 2 or 3 times and see if there is any difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:05:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DistanceX] [#5]
Some hydraulic clutches need to be "bench bled."  

The hose between the master cylinder and and the reservoir is at a lower point than the back of the master cylinder. This can allow an air bubble to become hung up in the high end of the master.

If this is the case, look up bench bleeding for your system.

Pretty much taking the reservoir, master and slave cylinder out as one unit. This will allow you to get the proper angle to rid yourself of the bubble.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I would ask a Shogun named Marcus.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wardog795] [#7]
I am the son and I did not replace the pilot bearing. And to bleed the clutch I used a mityvac vacuum bleeder.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you listen to Clutch while working on your clutch?  I would.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wardog795:
I am the son and I did not replace the pilot bearing. And to bleed the clutch I used a mityvac vacuum bleeder.
View Quote

ALWAYS replace the pilot bearing while it's apart. Learned that the hard way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't we do this a week ago?  Or was it another Mustang?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top