Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2023 2:15:14 AM EDT
So I got the at-home setup for directional freezing.  The 2" cubes came out great, the spheres not so much.  They seem to be melting alot faster than the good restaurant clear ice I've gotten - I mean, it's water with no air bubbles, why am I missing???
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you starting with warm water and freezing for 18-24 hours?

Clear Ice
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you starting with warm water and freezing for 18-24 hours?

Clear Ice
View Quote
I'm using my reverse osmosis water, so, not warm.  24 hrs, yes
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a video I made on making it.

Clear Ice
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I got the at-home setup for directional freezing.  The 2" cubes came out great, the spheres not so much.  They seem to be melting alot faster than the good restaurant clear ice I've gotten - I mean, it's water with no air bubbles, why am I missing???
View Quote

Try the thermos method.  It produces better ice than the molds.  I have both.

I typically use the 2” cubes from the expensive directional freezing mold for shaker ice because it’s easier to make.

If you use the thermos method, room temp water works well.  Freeze for about 26 hours, freezer dependent. After a couple attempts you will get the hours right.  Let the cooler sit out for 15 minutes before messing with it.  The ice releases from the cooler on its own and it is tempered, so it’s easy to cut with the scoring method.

I use the one gallon jugs of Costco brand water for all of my ice, except for the bags of pebble I get at Sonic.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a video I made on making it.

Clear Ice
View Quote

I have an insulated mold that works decent but I’ll give this a try to make different sizes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top