Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Classic car delusion (Page 1 of 16)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 5/14/2024 10:54:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STL_Nik]
Nostalgia is the biggest liar you will ever meet. I hear boomer car guys go on and on about how fast their muscle car was and how modern cars are shit.
They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made. Modern cars don't need a complete tear down and rebuild every 50k miles like the cars of yesteryear.  Line any of those old muscle cars up next to a modern Mustang or Charger, it's night and day. 14 seconds used to be a fast qt mile, guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Yes the modern car is harder for people to work on themselves but if you're not a complete dumbass it is doable.

Old cars are cool but lets be honest about how great they really were.

*edit*
Before anybody starts with dyno numbers, those old school numbers are complete horseshit and has been proven time and time again.  Put them on the dyno, yall were lied to about what those cars made.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:57:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#1]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
Nostalgia is the biggest liar you will ever meet. I hear boomer car guys go on and on about how fast their muscle car was and how modern cars are shit.
They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made. Modern cars don't need a complete tear down and rebuild every 50k miles like the cars of yesteryear.  Line any of those old muscle cars up next to a modern Mustang or Charger, it's night and day. 14 seconds used to be a fast qt mile, guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Yes the modern car is harder for people to work on themselves but if you're not a complete dumbass it is doable.

View Quote

About the only thing they do better. Besides ease of service is longevity, Anything 69 and older does not really have circuit boards to worry about.

Otherwise, modern cars blow them out of the water in every single respect.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
To be fair in 70's they neutered the SHIT out of muscle cars and for a long long time they were the fastest things on the street.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone is upset they keep getting gapped by old iron.

It's okay, Riceboi, just put some more stickers on your glass and a bigger fart can.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Exhibit A

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
'66 Corvette vs Toyota Camry | Classic American Sports Car Against a Modern Midsize Sedan
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes it's not about numbers. My 63 C10 looks way cooler than any mass produced modern shitbox.  It's the eyeball factor, son.

<---not a boomer
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy who survived the Baltimore bridge hit escaped his car by rolling down the manual window.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CulperJunior:
Sometimes it's not about numbers. My 63 C10 looks way cooler than any mass produced modern shitbox.  It's the eyeball factor, son.

<---not a boomer
View Quote

Yep.

Otherwise everyone would just own an EV.

And that's gay.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thing OP left old trucks out of rant.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
General Motors G body was my favorite. 87 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the Euro clip was always one of the cars I should have kept.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Cars are for getting from A to B
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CulperJunior:

<---not a boomer
View Quote

I'm not debating that. Enjoy it for what it is, but trying to pretend it's better at being a truck than a modern truck is foolish.  

I don't pretend that my vintage harleys can keep up with a modern harley.  Why?  Because it simply won't.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I just want a leather couch with fins and a V8.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Its not all about numbers.

Its about the look and feel.

I restored a few Camaros , had fun doing it. The results were superb.

The old ones can't hold a candle to the modern stuff , when it comes to performance and safety. Maybe im just one of the few that can appreciate both old and new muscle cars.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#16]
...guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.
View Quote

Pretty much no "low 8's" cars are daily drivers junior.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Cars are for getting from A to B
View Quote

Dad?  Is that you?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a ‘69 Camaro. It’s a base model V8 with a 327 2 barrel carb. It was my grandmothers.

It’s quite possibly the slowest car I’ve ever owned and driven.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#19]

*edit*
Before anybody starts with dyno numbers, those old school numbers are complete horseshit and has been proven time and time again.  Put them on the dyno, yall were lied to about what those cars made.
View Quote

Well, I really hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest.  I surely feel more enlightened now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:

View Quote

You should look at what guys are doing with coyotes in F150's and Mustangs
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#21]
ICE guys are the same way.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Bench racing. It's nothing new.

New cars have no soul, but they are definitely better cars. I like my old cars for the total experience.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I had an on again off again relationship with a Kawasaki 750 2-stroke I swore was actually trying to kill me

Looking back,  it pulled a 12-second quarter mile. One of the slower bikes I've ever owned
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#24]
You are right, they do not make them like they used to. They make them better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
...guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

There's a lot of cars that will pull 8 seconds... in the 1/8th mile.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#26]
I can appreciate both, but I don't like new cars that have too many widgets. It is funny how easily people are impressed. I care much more about reliability.

The oldest car I've driven is a BelAir, it drove pretty well considering. Many of the 80's German cars drive nicely too.

My 2020 Tundra is perfect for what I want. Still drive my Silverado too.

The more time I spend in newer cars, the more I appreciate a basic ass pickup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Look no further than quarter mile times.  13 sec was "very fast" back in the "muscle car" days.

The stock Demon is banned from NHRA events because it's too fast (sub 10 seconds).

Fucking Grand Cherokee Trackhawk or Ram TRX will crush an old Camaro/Mustang/Chevelle/Corvette.
View Quote
Mopar or no car!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#28]
This is like comparing a P-51 to a F-4 to a F-22.  All are cool, all had their time.  A P-51 is still awesome to this day, just like a lot of the cars from 65'-73'.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Old vehicles don't spy on you and report your location and driving habits to the insurance companies.

/end of thread
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I was at the National Corvette Museum this past Saturday. I'm definitely not much of a car guy and there's no way I'll ever be able to afford a Corvette (well, maybe Barbie's plastic toy version).

They have models ranging from the mid-50's up to the current version. Yep, the newest Corvettes will eat an earlier version's lunch. But there's jut something sexy as fuck about a 1957 Corvette convertible or a split-window 1963 Stingray. The new ones don't blow a breeze up my skirt like those old ones do.

God help me if I ever win the lottery.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#31]

*edit*
View Quote
you're delusional, go to the infirmary

Yes old cars are old. Yes modern cars do pretty much everything better than old cars.   There are a couple of confounding factors however.  The nostalgia wasn't based on the the straight 6 camaro or 327 corvette.  It was based on the low volume very high performance halo versions of those cars that most people didn't own.  So the solid lifter 427 COPO camaros and the L-88 corvettes, 426 hemis etc.  Those engines were epic and are still impressive by modern standards.  Really the only modern factory things that beat them are either supercharged or very high winding flat plane V8s. They were 10 second 1/4 mile cars if given proper tires.

secondly your weak ass rant about dyno numbers is ignorant.  The standards changed.  Manufacturers went from using SAE gross to SAE net hp ratings. Plus often manufacturers lied about output numbers on the low volume high hp engines for insurance purposes.  the L-88 for example was rated SAE gross at 435.  In reality it was likely over 500.  Same was true for 440 six pack and 426 cars, under rated.   The average grocery getter was a sad example of the species and that was the bulk of cars back then, but they did make some genuine beasts as well and those are what people remember.

The impressive thing these days is hitting big numbers while meeting emissions standards, that's was killed the party back in the day.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Classic cars have the designs that people love. The best rebuilds are when someone takes a classic body and installs all new internals so its a much more modern vehicle. Revology does this with their Mustangs, downside is the cost unfortunately.
https://revologycars.com/car/1968-shelby-gt500kr-convertible/
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:20:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#33]
Old cars really kinda sucked outside of looking and sounding cool.

Basic suspensions, no traction control or ABS, shit gas milage, if it was high enough “performance” (LOL) it needed tuned up whenever the seasons changed, like 87 miles between oil changes, nothing lasted… shit fell apart and needed major overhaul/repairs/maintenance from like 70,000-100,000mi, poor crash survivability …

87% of classic cars are terrible vehicles by any modern standard.  But hey, they looked and sounded cooler.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:21:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#34]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Poor suspensions, no traction control or ABS, shit gas milage, if it was high enough “performance” (LOL) it needed tuned up whenever the seasons notable, like 87 miles between oil changes, nothing lasted… shit fell apart and needed major overhaul/repairs/maintenance from like 70,000-100,000mi.

87% of classic cars are terrible vehicles.  But hey, they looked and sounded cooler.
View Quote

Yes.  That's all some folks want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:21:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nightstalker] [#35]
Lol, I ALWAYS was amazed at how shitty the brakes were on my 66 396SS Chevelle.  Faded so bad I had to use the dragster turnout at Lions Drag Strip even thoughntop speed was just over 100.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#36]
My 67 cougar had a stupidly anemic 289 with less than 150 horsepower, and that was after I put a hotter cam into it. Foot to the floor, top speed was maybe 70.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#37]
There are things to appreciate about both older cars/trucks and new tech.

If you could put modern tech in a 69 Camaro I'd buy one.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I am under no delusion that my 68 C10 is in any way better than my 2019 F150, In safety, comfort or performance. However.. It does look a lot cooler doing burnouts...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Yup.

Father  in law had a stock 70s corvette. Told him I’d blow his doors off in my Honda accord. He didn’t believe me. I provided the numbers. Power, weight, 1/4 mile time of each. Accused me of using slanted information.

Never would line up with me though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By justanotherday:
General Motors G body was my favorite. 87 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the Euro clip was always one of the cars I should have kept.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562864/87_Olds__1__jpg-3214088.JPG
View Quote
No vinyl top or the wide bottom chrome, yes you should have kept that car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Umm yes they are. Modern turbochargers coupled with fuel control systems make it possible
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I see that you have no understanding of the past and it's accomplishments at that time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Poor suspensions, no traction control or ABS, shit gas milage, if it was high enough “performance” (LOL) it needed tuned up whenever the seasons notable, like 87 miles between oil changes, nothing lasted… shit fell apart and needed major overhaul/repairs/maintenance from like 70,000-100,000mi.

87% of classic cars are terrible vehicles.  But hey, they looked and sounded cooler.

Liberals think and act on emotions instead of logic and reason
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#44]

They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made.
View Quote
I hear the Honda Civic crowd going on about how their 4 cyl. makes "more (horse)power" and how their economy car is faster in the first 60'. I'm thinking they are ignorant about torque...and probably cars in general.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I kinda gave up on my old cars some time ago because, well it's too much work because the stuff really is junk. My dodge dart was assembled by monkeys. That being said it was cool looking and sounded awesome. You really have to love it to own one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Restomod a classic with modern drivetrain and components and have the best of both worlds!  The only substitution for cubic inches is cubic money!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By xd341:
you're delusional, go to the infirmary

Yes old cars are old. Yes modern cars do pretty much everything better than old cars.   There are a couple of confounding factors however.  The nostalgia wasn't based on the the straight 6 camaro or 327 corvette.  It was based on the low volume very high performance halo versions of those cars that most people didn't own.  So the solid lifter 427 COPO camaros and the L-88 corvettes, 426 hemis etc.  Those engines were epic and are still impressive by modern standards.  Really the only modern factory things that beat them are either supercharged or very high winding flat plane V8s. They were 10 second 1/4 mile cars if given proper tires.

secondly your weak ass rant about dyno numbers is ignorant.  The standards changed.  Manufacturers went from using SAE gross to SAE net hp ratings. Plus often manufacturers lied about output numbers on the low volume high hp engines for insurance purposes.  the L-88 for example was rated SAE gross at 435.  In reality it was likely over 500.  Same was true for 440 six pack and 426 cars, under rated.   The average grocery getter was a sad example of the species and that was the bulk of cars back then, but they did make some genuine beasts as well and those are what people remember.

The impressive thing these days is hitting big numbers while meeting emissions standards, that's was killed the party back in the day.  
View Quote
The irony is nowadays an old grocery getter is rarer and more interesting (IMO) than the hi-performance cars of that day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#48]
<----boomer
I have owned a '66 Fairlane GT/A 390ci, C6 auto since 1990.  Just a couple small things done to give it something near the EXAGGERATED horse power rating. Ain't no way that car ever had 335hp. The car is mostly original to the average car guy.

OP is entirely correct.

In a head to head with the average modern 4cyl, I'm betting I could almost keep up.  I would certainly fall WAY behind in cornering because coil springs & hydraulic shocks coupled with drum brakes are wholly inadequate. I've said it often, that Fairlane is a slug.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Cars got better after over half a century of development?   We’ve got breaking news here.  

Maybe next we can compare a C8 to a Model T?   Bet I know which one will win cuz I’m smart.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
This is like comparing a P-51 to a F-4 to a F-22.  All are cool, all had their time.  A P-51 is still awesome to this day, just like a lot of the cars from 65'-73'.

View Quote
Pretty good analogy right there
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Classic car delusion (Page 1 of 16)
Top Top