BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 69
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good. - Ezra Pound
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it--always. - Gandhi (the movie)

Life ... is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
- William Shakespeare, MacBeth

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn. - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It's good to be king and have your own world
It helps to make friends, it's good to meet girls.
A sweet little queen who can't run away;
It's good to be king, whatever it pays.
- Tom Petty, It's Good to Be King, Wildflowers
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I've lived most of my entire adult life outside the law, and never have I compromised with authority. But neither have I gone out and picked fights with authority. That's stupid. They're waiting for that; they invite it; it helps keep them powerful. Authority is to be ridiculed, outwitted and avoided. And it's fairly easy to do all three. If you believe in peace, act peacefully; if you believe in love, acting lovingly; if you believe every which way, then act every which way, that's perfectly valid — but don't go out trying to sell your beliefs to the system. You end up contradicting what you profess to believe in, and you set a bum example. If you want to change the world, change yourself. - Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined... - George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress, January 8, 1790
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
A positive attitude from you tends to produce a positive attitude toward you. - Deborah Day
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Only the mediocre are always at their best. - R.H.

Always do the right thing.  It will please some and amaze the rest. - R.H.

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk in order to spend time with his fools. - Hemmingway
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only the mediocre are always at their best. - R.H.

Always do the right thing.  It will please some and amaze the rest. - R.H.

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk in order to spend time with his fools. - Hemmingway
View Quote
Good ones.  But I wasn't sure who RH was, so I looked to see if it was Robert Heinlein. Here's what I found:

Only the mediocre are always at their best. - Jean Giraudoux, attributed

Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain), To the Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, February 16, 1901

Hemingway sure liked drinking.  Couple more from him on the theme:

I drink to make other people more interesting.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

And while we are on the subject:

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. - W. C. Fields (which is probably where that Archer episode got the idea for their line)
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A few sayings I keep stored in my phone for days like today...

Don't make decisions when you're angry, or promises when you're happy.

You can tell the size of a man by the size of the things that bother him.

Bad things happen, it's your responsibility to overcome them.

Success is when you get what you want, happiness is when you want what you get.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Zen proverbs:

No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.

When you reach the top of the mountain, keep climbing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The following, or a shortened variation of it, is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson.  It is not his. See Monticello.org for more info.

A principal source of errors and injustice are false ideas of utility. For example: that legislator has false ideas of utility who considers particular more than general conveniencies, who had rather command the sentiments of mankind than excite them, who dares say to reason, "Be thou a slave;" who would sacrifice a thousand real advantages to the fear of an imaginary or trifling inconvenience; who would deprive men of the use of fire for fear of their being burnt, and of water for fear of their being drowned; and who knows of no means of preventing evil but by destroying it.

The laws of this nature are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator? and does it not subject the innocent to all the disagreeable circumstances that should only fall on the guilty? It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons.

- Cesare Beccaria, An Essay on Crimes & Punishments (Dei Delitti E Delle Pene), as published in London in 1809, the English translation from the French version of the treatise being attributed to M. de Voltaire.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. - Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I was blind before I met you
Now I don’t know where I am
I don’t know where I’ve been
But I know where I want to go,
I’m glad I didn’t die before I met you
But now I don’t care I could go anywhere with you
And I’d probably be happy,
So if you want to be with me
With these things there’s no telling
We just have to wait and see,
But I’d rather be working for a paycheck
Than waiting to win the lottery.

- Bright Eyes, First Day of My Life excerpts, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morining
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#15]
There was another life that I might have had, but I am having this one. - Kazuo Ishiguro
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks. - Samuel Johnson
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good ones.  But I wasn't sure who RH was, so I looked to see if it was Robert Heinlein. Here's what I found:

Only the mediocre are always at their best. - Jean Giraudoux, attributed

Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain), To the Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, February 16, 1901

Hemingway sure liked drinking.  Couple more from him on the theme:

I drink to make other people more interesting.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

And while we are on the subject:

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. - W. C. Fields (which is probably where that Archer episode got the idea for their line)
View Quote
Thanks for the corrections.  I was just too lazy to look that shit up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the corrections.  I was just too lazy to look that shit up.
View Quote
No worries, I appreciate the input.

Besides, sometimes it is the searching that leads me to others, like the other Hemingway quotes.

Or I was looking up some of the ones from MSUbulldog21 and found this:

Attachment Attached File

- Uncle Iroh, Avatar : The Last Airbender
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#19]
The ideas I stand for are not mine. I borrowed them from Socrates. I swiped them from Chesterfield. I stole them from Jesus. And I put them in a book. If you don't like their rules whose would you use?
- Dale Carnegie, On his book How to Win Friends and Influence People as quoted in Newsweek August 8, 1955

People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing. - Dale Carnegie

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success. - Dale Carnegie

Benjamin Franklin, tactless in his youth, became so diplomatic, so adroit at handling people that he was made American Ambassador to France. The secret of his success? "I will speak ill of no man," he said, "...and speak all the good I know of everybody." Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving. "A great man shows his greatness," says Carlyle, "by the way he treats little men." - Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People, 1936
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
We must not burn down the house to kill the rats.

Laws are never as effective as habits.

Do you remember that in classical times when Cicero had finished speaking, the people said, "How well he spoke"; but when Demosthenes had finished speaking, they said, "Let us march."

- Adlai Stevenson
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#21]
For a house, I take it, or a ship or anything of that sort must have its chief strength in its substructure; and so too in affairs of state the principles and the foundations must be truth and justice. - Demosthenes
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#22]
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need.
-Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#23]
The question is when is active management good? The answer is never.

If active managers win, it has to be at the expense of other active managers. And when you add them all up, the returns of active managers have to be literally zero, before costs. Then after costs, it's a big negative sign.

- Eugene Francis "Gene" Fama, economist and Nobel laureate in economics, known for his work on portfolio theory and asset pricing, both theoretical and empirical. Cited in: Lawrence Delevingne. "Nobel winner Fama: Active management 'never' good." at cnbc.com. 19 Sept. 2014

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger.

- Faces, Ooh La La excerpt (perhaps known by more people via Rod Stewart's 1998 cover of the same)
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]
The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of The United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms... - Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#25]
You just can’t beat the person who never gives up. - Babe Ruth
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
If it ain't broken, don't break it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No worries, I appreciate the input.

Besides, sometimes it is the searching that leads me to others, like the other Hemingway quotes.

Or I was looking up some of the ones from MSUbulldog21 and found this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/328446/Uncle_Iroh-326722.JPG
- Uncle Iroh, Avatar : The Last Airbender
View Quote
I like that one. And it is true
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#28]
An old boss of mine used to tell me all the time when something went wrong...

"A year from now it won't make any difference"

I've found a lot of good in that saying in dealing with mundane troubles.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Trouble on my left, trouble on my right
I've been facing trouble almost all my life
My sweet love, won't you pull me through?
Everywhere I look I catch a glimpse of you
I said it was love and I did it for life.
- Cage the Elephant, Trouble
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Words calculated to catch everyone may catch no one. - Adlai Stevenson
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I am inclined to believe that few attacks either of ridicule or invective make much noise, but by the help of those they provoke. - Samuel Johnson
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#32]
A l'oeuvre on connaît l'artisan.
By the work one knows the workman. - Jean de la Fontaine, Fables, Book I (1668), fable 21 (The Hornets And The Bees)
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe not classic, but what people say in public sometimes...

I was going to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I have no character. - Charles Wade Barkley, response to Tonya Harding calling herself "the Charles Barkley of figure skating"

Only poor people go to jail. - Charles Barkley to Jim Rome

Poor people have been voting for Democrats for the last fifty years... and they are still poor. - Charles Barkley

I can't screw up Alabama... We are number 48 in everything and Arkansas and Mississippi aren't going anywhere. - Charles Barkley about running for governor of Alabama

You can't start a diet in the middle of the week, that's just stupid. - Charles Barkley to Jay Leno

Anytime a fan touches you, you have the right to beat the hell out of him. - Charles Barkley, CNN interview

Kids are great. That's one of the best things about our business, all the kids you get to meet. It's a shame they have to grow up to be regular people and come to the games and call you names. - Charles Barkley on the Late Late Show
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#34]
One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes. In stopping to think through the meaning of what I have learned, there is much that I believe intensely, much I am unsure of. In the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And, the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. - Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn by Living
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]
In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us. - Thích Nhat Hanh

The tragedy of our day is the climate of fear in which we live, and fear breeds repression. Too often sinister threats to the bill of rights, to freedom of the mind, are concealed under the patriotic cloak, of anti-communism. - Adlai Stevenson
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#36]
The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. And while a single nation refuses to lay them down, it is proper that all should keep them up. Horrid mischief would ensue were one-half the world deprived of the use of them; for while avarice and ambition have a place in the heart of man, the weak will become a prey to the strong. The history of every age and nation establishes these truths, and facts need but little arguments when they prove themselves.
- Thomas Paine, Thoughts on Defensive War, Pennsylvania Magazine, July 1775, signed "A Lover Of Peace" this is generally credited to Paine
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#37]
never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal-MLK
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble. - Samuel Johnson
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]
All our words from loose using have lost their edge. - Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#40]
The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. - George Bernard Shaw
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I guess it comes down a simple choice: Get busy living, or get busy dying. - Shawshank Redemption
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. - Mickey Rivers
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon, Lawyers, Guns And Money
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Portam itineri dici longissimam esse.
The longest part of the journey is said to be the passing of the gate. - Marcus Terentius Varro
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes. - Zig Ziglar, as quoted in Trigger Events – How To Find Your Next Customer by Alen Majer (I think I have something similar from mom posted previously)
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Failure is an event, not a person. Yesterday ended last night. - Zig Ziglar, See You at the Top
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#47]
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air — however slight — lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. - Justice William O. Douglas
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#48]
"What are you going to do.shoot me?"

Guy I knew who stopped a guy giving someone he knew a hard time. Yes.they were his last words before he was shot
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Most women set out to try to change a man, and when they have changed him they do not like him. - Marlene Dietrich
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Decadence is a difficult word to use since it has become little more than a term of abuse applied by critics to anything they do not yet understand or which seems to differ from their moral concepts. - Ernest Hemingway
Page / 69
Top Top