Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2021 9:53:46 AM EDT
Opinions on the above two watches would be greatly appreciated.  Been on the hunt for field type watch preferably in titanium that wouldn't break the bank and it likely will be used pretty hard.  In search I've stumbled across the Citizen Promaster with it's 40mm case which is largest size I would want for my girly 6.75" wrist, solar powered, eco-drive movement, flat sapphire crystal with their hardened super titanium case.  Momentum's 38mm titanium case which is as small as I would want to go, quartz Epson VX32G movement and rounded sapphire crystal.  

Is the Citizen a by far better watch/deal for an additional $135 over the Atlas, your thoughts would be appreciated.  The Promaster would be purchased from a place in the UK as it isn't offered in the States, think that may pose a problem if a warranty issue arises?  I have some pro's and con's worked out in my head but wanted to see what you all may think considering the wealth of knowledge that is here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about the Momentum but I own 5 Promasters
I would have no problem buying another
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Citizen is an excellent option.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, figured I didn't provide enough information especially on the Citizen which is sourced out of UK, Citizen Promaster Tough Super Titanium black face & band # BN0118-04E.  About the only hesitation is rather large numerals but I'm aging and that could turn out to be a plus.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
First Rule of watches

Don't buy fashion watches.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The BN0118 is solar with a monocoque case (no removable case back), so you'll never need to crack it open for a battery change. This will also make the water resistance better, since there is one less portal for the water to enter.

That BN0118 is the latest iteration of the legendary Ray Mears field watch.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-citizen-promaster-tough-ray-mears/#gref

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/ray-mears-promaster-tough/
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The BN0118 is solar with a monocoque case (no removable case back), so you'll never need to crack it open for a battery change. This will also make the water resistance better, since there is one less portal for the water to enter.

That BN0118 is the latest iteration of the legendary Ray Mears field watch.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-citizen-promaster-tough-ray-mears/#gref

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/ray-mears-promaster-tough/
View Quote
Thanks, I had stumbled across those as I was reviewing both.  And Silverbulletz, no real fashion statements out of these lol more of an old man time piece, looking for something beside a gshock that can be rode somewhat hard as I can be a bit rough on my watches.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks, I had stumbled across those as I was reviewing both.  And Silverbulletz, no real fashion statements out of these lol more of an old man time piece, looking for something beside a gshock that can be rode somewhat hard as I can be a bit rough on my watches.
View Quote

Promaster Tough is what I wear everyday at work. Nice size, 42mm and only 11mm thick
Couldn't seem to find the sweet spot with the bracelet so I put on a rubber strap
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Promaster Tough is what I wear everyday at work. Nice size, 42mm and only 11mm thick
Couldn't seem to find the sweet spot with the bracelet so I put on a rubber strap
https://i.imgur.com/e1VKUZB.jpg
View Quote
That model was in the running as well, really was wanting something with a 38/40 case for a better fit for my girly 6 3/4" wrist.  Think I'm pulling the trigger on the Citizen today as I've found a decent discount on one for about $310 shipped from the uk.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been eyeballing the PMD56's as I like the day/date for a work watch, and the fact that you can easily change time zones when traveling.

The dial is also less crowded than the Mears.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been eyeballing the PMD56's as I like the day/date for a work watch, and the fact that you can easily change time zones when traveling.

The dial is also less crowded than the Mears.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xVkAAOSwJOtg2oDr/s-l300.jpg
View Quote
It certainly has slightly smaller numerals which does indeed give it a more roomy appearance helped by a couple mm larger case, not sure how much I'd use time zone/radio control features of this watch.  But it certainly offers more for the couple hundred extra bucks it costs.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It certainly has slightly smaller numerals which does indeed give it a more roomy appearance helped by a couple mm larger case, not sure how much I'd use time zone/radio control features of this watch.  But it certainly offers more for the couple hundred extra bucks it costs.  

View Quote

You can't use the radio sync unless you are in Japan or use an app to spoof it. Not a huge deal. The perpetual calendar is nice though.

I think that close to the same money, they look much better than the BN0118.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can't use the radio sync unless you are in Japan or use an app to spoof it. Not a huge deal. The perpetual calendar is nice though.

I think that close to the same money, they look much better than the BN0118.
View Quote
I've had a hard time locating a new PMD that didn't cost close to 2x the amount of the bno118, the dial is cleaner though in its own way.  

eta: Broke down and pushed the button on the bn0118, if all goes well should be in my possession by Monday at the latest.  I respect all who responded, thank you.

eta: Received it Friday, 2 day trip from the UK which bested the 5 day delivery estimate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top