Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2023 1:03:49 AM EDT
I'm looking for a kick ass cioppino recipe.  I found found some good one's online but figured this would be a great place to ask.  Thinking about cutting back the fish and using crab and lobster instead.  This will be for a special occasion so the sky is the limit!  Any thoughts or suggestions?

TIA

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
How soon do you need the recipe? (as I have to look for it) I've got one that's from the mid-80's ("Adventures In Italian Cooking" Ortho Books)

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
No rush whenever you have time!!
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn’t completely omit the fish but definitely go heavy on the shellfish. Lobster, crab, scallops , clams, & mussels.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:
I wouldn’t completely omit the fish but definitely go heavy on the shellfish. Lobster, crab, scallops , clams, & mussels.
View Quote

Yeah that's kinda what I am thinking.  Fortunately getting fresh fish here isn't a problem!
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I was able to pull up a couple from my recipe collections and I think this one from Bon Appetit is probably the best rendition. Serves 6-8.

INGREDIENTS
BROTH
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup dry white wine
1 28­ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
2 8­ounce bottles clam juice
4 sprigs flat­leaf parsley
2 bay leaves
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
SOUP
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 pounds any mix of mussels (debearded), clams, or cockles, scrubbed
/4 cup dry white wine
1 pound firm skinless white fish fillets (such as sea bass), cut into 1­inch pieces
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2­inch cubes
Flat­leaf parsley leaves (for serving)
Toasted country bread, rubbed with garlic and olive oil (for serving)

PREPARATION
BROTH
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8­10 minutes.
Add garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes; stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add
wine. Return pot to heat, bring to a boil, and cook until wine is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes with
juices, crushing with your hands as you add them.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15­20 minutes. Add clam juice, parsley, bay leaves, and 8 cups water;
season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until flavors meld, 10­15 minutes more. Discard
parsley sprigs and bay leaves. DO AHEAD: Broth can be made 2 days ahead. Let cool slightly; chill until cold. Cover
and keep chilled. Reheat before continuing.

SOUP
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shallot; stir often until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; stir
until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; add mussels and wine. Set over medium­high heat, cover, and cook,
stirring occasionally, until shells open (discard any that do not open), about 4 minutes.
Add reserved broth; bring to a simmer. Add fish and shrimp. Cover; cook just until opaque, about 4 minutes. Stir in
butter; season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls; top with parsley. Serve with toast.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
I was able to pull up a couple from my recipe collections and I think this one from Bon Appetit is probably the best rendition. Serves 6-8.

INGREDIENTS
BROTH
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup dry white wine
1 28­ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
2 8­ounce bottles clam juice
4 sprigs flat­leaf parsley
2 bay leaves
SOUP
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 pounds any mix of mussels (debearded), clams, or cockles, scrubbed
/4 cup dry white wine
1 pound firm skinless white fish fillets (such as sea bass), cut into 1­inch pieces
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2­inch cubes
Flat­leaf parsley leaves (for serving)
Toasted country bread, rubbed with garlic and olive oil (for serving)

PREPARATION
BROTH
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8­10 minutes.
Add garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes; stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add
wine. Return pot to heat, bring to a boil, and cook until wine is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes with
juices, crushing with your hands as you add them.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15­20 minutes. Add clam juice, parsley, bay leaves, and 8 cups water;
season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until flavors meld, 10­15 minutes more. Discard
parsley sprigs and bay leaves. DO AHEAD: Broth can be made 2 days ahead. Let cool slightly; chill until cold. Cover
and keep chilled. Reheat before continuing.

SOUP
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shallot; stir often until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; stir
until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; add mussels and wine. Set over medium­high heat, cover, and cook,
stirring occasionally, until shells open (discard any that do not open), about 4 minutes.
Add reserved broth; bring to a simmer. Add fish and shrimp. Cover; cook just until opaque, about 4 minutes. Stir in
butter; season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls; top with parsley. Serve with toast.
View Quote

That's sounds great!  Thank you!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
@ ThePontificator
Made this last night, it was great!  Sea bass, lobster, scallops, crab, calamari with homemade focaccia, everyone loved it.  Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top