Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2021 6:38:39 PM EDT
In the last ten years, Intel has hired thousands of cheap H1B's and relocated production to Asia.  
Intel's product line has had some huge problems in that period.  Huge delays and quality problems with newer chips.  
Apple is now making their own CPU chips, and other companies are dumping Intel as a supplier.  

Now Intel is rehiring retired American CPU architects.  
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16438/new-intel-ceo-making-waves-rehiring-retired-cpu-architects

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Unpossible- All Cultures Are Equal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Rehire people you fired, have them fix the problems, fire them again. Brilliant
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of too late at this point on the cpu front.

Apple dumped intel and the M1 procs make intel look silly.
AMD has surpassed intel in every way on the desktop and laptop.
AMDs server procs are way better.
Nvidia bought ARM.

Intel is still on 14 nanometer for desktop and just got to 10nm on laptop.

Just doesn't look good for Intel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
In 3-5 years from now, right as Americans get done unfucking all the third world work they will do it all over again. Management at large corporations rarely learn from their mistakes. After all, they live and die quarter to quarter so who cares what happens to the company long term. GE is a perfect example of this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in software, we have done the whole H1B thing, code is generally shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Dumped my Intel stock years ago.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, you know he got a sweet deal.   lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not possible. They copied it all from stack exchange. How could it be shit?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I highly recommend reading the article before commenting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
There are good H1B, but the typically the ones you hire for 1/4 the salary of a top contributor will never produce at anything close to the same level, no matter how many of them there are.

Top and middle management somehow believe they are working in Henry Ford’s original factory where more bodies = more product.  3 or 4 experts can out produce literally hundreds of commodity individual contributors at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
New CEO, things change...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am as well and yep. Lots of rework of work coming from the portion of my team in India.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope every company that ever hired a single H1B goes broke.  Most crooked fucking American job destroying program ever conceived. Fuck everyone that participated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Worked for boeing and the 737 max, right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the difference between a corporation and a pack of rats?

We have evidence that rats can learn from experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Serves them right the cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
New CEO, things change...
View Quote

The new CEO is an engineer that knows tech.
Unlike the last couple who where bean counters that didn't understand what CPUs do and why faster clock speeds and higher core counts are better(This is a true story)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]
BS click bait title

The article says they're bringing back one retired guy, who is evidently some kind of legend at Intel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

fuck you cunts... reap it
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Intel really lost their way in manufacturing.  CPU architects won’t help that.  However, a big reason this occurred is because the equipment makers put their focus on who is building fabs and the big bucks are in Asia.  Intel used to say jump and Lam/Applied Materials would break a leg but those days are over.  

The US needs to invest big time in semiconductor manufacturing again because it is a huge national security and economic risk to have the majority of the worlds advanced IC manufacturing in Taiwan.  The threat from earthquakes and typhoons is bad enough without having China poised to invade the island at any moment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#22]
It's not going to help.

They are fucked.

Witnesseth the rise of AMD's EPYC and ARM on server (AWS Graviton) and consumer (Apple M1) which completely spank Intel.

On top of this, Intel is subbing out chip manufacture, which should be a core business competency, to TSMC

edited to add: You could probably make some extra lunch money buying "put" options on INTC
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In 3-5 years from now, right as Americans get done unfucking all the third world work they will do it all over again. Management at large corporations rarely learn from their mistakes. After all, they live and die quarter to quarter so who cares what happens to the company long term. GE is a perfect example of this.
View Quote

While I'm super critical of bad management, we should also level the same sort of criticism at the laws that directly encourage quarter to quarter thinking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It was a positive sign in a job interview this past week when a C-level executive made a comment that H1B's will frequently have lots of certifications but very little ability to actually reason their way through issues, I didn't comment that that was a legacy of their education system that stresses rote memorization over flexibility.  I'm seeing more and more companies that have been burned by H1B's and middle and upper management has had their eyes opened to the downsides of using them.
View Quote

Also an education system with a ton of fraud.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Learn to code peasants !!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]
IT at work MUST be done by H1b's, the best my work computer ever worked without issues was when covid shut everything down on the IT side and there were no updates and subsequent glitch crashes for days afterwards. When they went back to work I can't get thru two work days without issues and having to shut down and completely reboot the system while wasting 1/2 hour of time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a positive sign in a job interview this past week when a C-level executive made a comment that H1B's will frequently have lots of certifications but very little ability to actually reason their way through issues, I didn't comment that that was a legacy of their education system that stresses rote memorization over flexibility.  I'm seeing more and more companies that have been burned by H1B's and middle and upper management has had their eyes opened to the downsides of using them.

TheIr entire 3rd world culture is broken. Lie, cheat, fraud, steal is prized in their culture.

Not compatible with American business.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been in the cybersecurity business for over 20 years now and this is the norm.

Farm/H1B too much out and your stuff hits the crapper.

There is some value to Farming out/H1B, but big companies definitely overdo it (IBM).
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Wake me when Apple or Amd overtake Intel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
My company is effectively outsourcing me, and pretty much all of the American staff. I do systems administration at a large premium hosting provider.

They didn't hire in H1B visa holders... they opened an office in India. The company is global and has datacenters in the US, Europe, UK, Hong Kong and Australia (and more, they bought another company a couple years ago that has more smaller DCs in more places). When they started staffing admins in India, I had hoped it would indicate a 'follow the sun' model of support.

Then in November, probably a year and a half after the first Indian admins started working, the higher ups called a mandatory meeting one morning. I work nights, so I had to stay up to attend. I figured they were going to tell the night shift they were pushing us to day shift to let the Indian teams run during our nighttime hours.

Nope. "Your positions are being eliminated". At least they gave us until March 31. We have a bonus payout in March, which we'll still get it, and they're giving us decent severance packages.

But basically replacing US admins with Indian admins... it's not going to work out. American customers HATE that shit. I suspect it will backfire in a couple years. You can't be a premium service provider and effectively outsource your services to foreigners.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In the last ten years, Intel has hired thousands of cheap H1B's and relocated production to Asia.  
Intel's product line has had some huge problems in that period.  Huge delays and quality problems with newer chips.  
Apple is now making their own CPU chips, and other companies are dumping Intel as a supplier.  

Now Intel is rehiring retired American CPU architects.  
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16438/new-intel-ceo-making-waves-rehiring-retired-cpu-architects

View Quote

This is good. It may help them, not in the consumer space, but in the datacenter space.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Stuck on 14nm and got used to stealing AMDs lunch money.  AMD got in the gym, and then that little nerd ARM grew up and caught them both sleeping.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My company is effectively outsourcing me, and pretty much all of the American staff. I do systems administration at a large premium hosting provider.

They didn't hire in H1B visa holders... they opened an office in India. The company is global and has datacenters in the US, Europe, UK, Hong Kong and Australia (and more, they bought another company a couple years ago that has more smaller DCs in more places). When they started staffing admins in India, I had hoped it would indicate a 'follow the sun' model of support.

Then in November, probably a year and a half after the first Indian admins started working, the higher ups called a mandatory meeting one morning. I work nights, so I had to stay up to attend. I figured they were going to tell the night shift they were pushing us to day shift to let the Indian teams run during our nighttime hours.

Nope. "Your positions are being eliminated". At least they gave us until March 31. We have a bonus payout in March, which we'll still get it, and they're giving us decent severance packages.

But basically replacing US admins with Indian admins... it's not going to work out. American customers HATE that shit. I suspect it will backfire in a couple years. You can't be a premium service provider and effectively outsource your services to foreigners.
View Quote

@Matthew_Q

Softlayer? (Blue mix(IBM))
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Matthew_Q

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Matthew_Q

Rackspace
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Intel is asleep at the wheel and this shows they've had their wake up call.  AMD is competitive, and has surpassed intel for the first time in 10-15 years in desktop chips...only supply issues are constraining a huge market share adjustment in AMDs favor in current gen sales.  

ARMs M1 is cleaning intel and AMDs clock in the mobile space and thats just their first gen chip.  

Intel could come roaring back, but their fabs are still stuck on 14nm....and everything indicates that situation is not getting better over the next couple years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hope every company that ever hired a single H1B goes broke.  Most crooked fucking American job destroying program ever conceived. Fuck everyone that participated.
View Quote
I disagree to a degree.  Companies should be competing for the best talent no matter where in the world they come from.  I am not afraid to pit my talent and experience against any engineer from anywhere in the world.  We have one visa holder (not H1B but I can't remember what it is) and he provides design direction for three junior engineers that would not be able to do it on their own.  I completely agree that we should not be hiring H1Bs just to fill seats, but foreign talent is not universally bad.  Hell, Elon Musk is an african...

The US can be made stronger by SELECTIVE immigration... and it can be made MUCH weaker by allowing every one that wants to come.  The current H1B program is better than the amnesty that we are about to get, but in my experience, given the quality of the typical visa holders, not by much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I highly recommend reading the article before commenting.
View Quote

Ya its just one guy, and he lives like 10 minutes from me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Mah pentiums!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#43]
There are two issues here, chip fabrication and chip design.  I can't speak to the latter, I'm sure Intel is quite capable of producing leading edge designs (assuming management doesn't screw things up).  However, Intel's main problem over the last few years is its struggle to produce bleeding edge fine resolution chips, packing more and more transistors on a chip to produce high end CPU's.  

Intel's problem in this regard is entirely a manufacturing issue, caused by the difficulty in achieving consistent yields.  Several manufacturers have taken the challenge to produce 7 nanometer devices and below, some (like my former employer) deemed the chance of success and the huge investment was just too risky.  A company can make just as much revenue selling lower resolution devices (14-50nm range) for use in things other than high end CPU's.  There's a HUGE market in cell phones etc. and it's exploding further with all the 5G stuff that's coming.  

The elephant in the room today is TSMC, they not only dominate manufacturing in the industry, but they are I believe the only company so far to succeed in real 7nm production.  Not only that, they are currently working to release 5nm parts.  The technology behind this is amazing, using far ultraviolet lithography and the strange physics that comes with it. Intel ran into problems at 7nm and I believe are delayed at least a year or two. They can't even dream of 5nm parts at this point.  They can work on improved CPU architecture to try and stay relevant, not sure they'll succeed.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Intel is local. In college, they hired the smartest guy in the class and paid him big bucks for being an intern. Then over summer they convinced him to take a semester off and go full time, really made him feel like he had a path to something special there if he did. He bragged about it to everyone, fucker was proud. The second it was past semester sign ups, they told him he was training his H1B replacements and that he had no job after that was done.

I won’t be surprised if someone comes back just to burn the fucking building to the ground.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#45]
In before DO THE NEEDFUL
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The people that made the decision won't care.  They'll get their bonuses, move on to higher paying jobs, and leave someone else holding the slack.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In before DO THE NEEDFUL
View Quote

Just doing the needful Americans won’t do.*

* for 1/2-1/4 competitive salary.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cargo cult practices and nepotism make for hilarity, unless you're also in one of the IT departments.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got in trouble at work for telling an IT employee to learn how to speak english because I honestly couldn't understand a word he said. Told him I wanted someone who could speak english and preferably American. He got mad, I hung up, called again and did get someone American and got my issue straightened out. I also got a talking to the next day.

In the end, the person trying to bitch me out admitted numerous people had complained they couldn't understand the IT employee but I was too direct and didn't have any sympathy for the person. Oh well............. I don't see myself gaining political correctness status before I retire.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Kind of too late at this point on the cpu front.

Apple dumped intel and the M1 procs make intel look silly.
AMD has surpassed intel in every way on the desktop and laptop.
AMDs server procs are way better.
Nvidia bought ARM.

Intel is still on 14 nanometer for desktop and just got to 10nm on laptop.

Just doesn't look good for Intel.
View Quote

Exactly my thinking, as well. Too little, too late.

Playing "Catch Up" instead of "Keep Up" is a sure-fire way to kill your company.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top