Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2023 8:10:13 PM EDT
Went to a local music store to grab a new cable for my daughter.  Of course I started playing everything on the wall.  I was playing acoustics and almost all of them were made in China.  They all sounded and played great.  They had one or two US made Martins and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if I was blind folded.  There was nothing wrong with the Martin, the cheap alvarez, Ibanez, etc were just that nice.

I never consider made in China guitars, Korea is the closest I'll come.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should reconsider.  I've been jonesin for a dean v and most are Chinese...
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck china.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
They are perfectly capable of producing good stuff. It’s just not what they usually export.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck China. Look at Japan or USA (not Gibson) made.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are perfectly capable of producing good stuff. It’s just not what they usually export.
View Quote

20 years ago they were shit and you'd get laughed at for considering one
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Went to a local music store to grab a new cable for my daughter.  Of course I started playing everything on the wall.  I was playing acoustics and almost all of them were made in China.  They all sounded and played great.  They had one or two US made Martins and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if I was blind folded.  There was nothing wrong with the Martin, the cheap alvarez, Ibanez, etc were just that nice.

I never consider made in China guitars, Korea is the closest I'll come.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should reconsider.  I've been jonesin for a dean v and most are Chinese...
View Quote

They don’t hold up…
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yamaha, seriously
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you talk about my Gibsons
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Indonesia is/was(?) putting out some Squiers that rival or even beat the MIM Fender versions.

China too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
How were the fret ends? Were the frets level?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yamaha, seriously
View Quote

I'm pretty sure everything they make is Chinese now. At least the ones I fucked with tonight
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

That is what stood out the most.  Followed by not having 25lbs worth of lacquer on them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Enjoy your overpriced shit ass guitars from a company that was raped by their executives for the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Love my MIJ Fenders. Straight out of FujiGen Gakki! Will post pics if IMGBB wants to work.

But yeah, past few years the lower end guitar makers are stepping their game up in terms of quality control.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Most all guitars are CNC machined anymore

Fit will be relatively consistent and good across the board regardless the country and price point

Normally it’s the quality of the materials (wood and hardware) used and finish that’s lacking compared to the higher end instruments
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, you can get decent instruments out of China if you're willing to spec them right and keep on top of the quality control.

My daughters both play cello, and almost everyone is playing Chinese instruments, even up into the $10K range. Some are extremely well made but the Chinese woods have their own tonal characteristics, some shops are buying Euro wood and manufacturing in China now.

I was really fortunate to find a nice professional Romanian Montagnana from a private party that my luthier had set up originally, about half price.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/GFORCE-gibson_jpg-2694248.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/maxresdefault_jpg-2694250.JPG

Enjoy your overpriced shit ass guitars from a company that was raped by their executives for the last 30 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/GFORCE-gibson_jpg-2694248.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/maxresdefault_jpg-2694250.JPG

But muh robot tuners
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Are they just starting to get good? My 20 year-old Squier is pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck china.
View Quote
FUCK CHYNA!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I hadn't heard of Chinese guitars. I knew some of the older Japanese stuff was good.

I like my made-in-Indonesia Tele. I don't perform at the Stevie Ray Vaughn level (I bet most gun forum members do), but it seems to work for me.

Will probably upgrade to a USA Tele at some point.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, you can get decent instruments out of China if you're willing to spec them right and keep on top of the quality control.

My daughters both play cello, and almost everyone is playing Chinese instruments, even up into the $10K range. Some are extremely well made but the Chinese woods have their own tonal characteristics, some shops are buying Euro wood and manufacturing in China now.

I was really fortunate to find a nice professional Romanian Montagnana from a private party that my luthier had set up originally, about half price.
View Quote

They don't make high end guitars, they top out under 2 grand.  North American made guitars start at $750, no reason to buy an anything besides a starter guitar from Asia.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure everything they make is Chinese now. At least the ones I fucked with tonight
View Quote

FG’s has been made in Tawain since the 60’s at least
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hadn't heard of Chinese guitars. I knew some of the older Japanese stuff was good.

I like my made-in-Indonesia Tele. I don't perform at the Stevie Ray Vaughn level (I bet most gun forum members do), but it seems to work for me.

Will probably upgrade to a USA Tele at some point.
View Quote

Never heard of Chinese guitars? These days the vast majority are made there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
in Indonesia
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Those counterfeit Chinese Gibsons are getting real good.  I will not buy a used Les Paul because I don’t trust I’d be able to tell a counterfeit.  Used to be easy…like bolt-on necks.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]
It’s a small thing, but the ones I’ve been around have used cheap strings.  After replacing the strings they were gtg.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
in Indonesia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in Indonesia

Most acoustics are now Chinese.  Indonesia still has electrics.

Check musicians friend and filter by country.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a PRS SE that was made in China. Most of them are made in Indonesia... and they're all phenomenal.

Mine's a Hollowbody II Piezo. It's flawless as far as I can tell and it sounds amazing. It has a huge range of tones available. I've looked at every millimeter of it and cannot find a single flaw.

It did need some setup. The neck relief was too straight, and the bridge was too close to the neck, so it was a little tricky to get the intonation set right, but I found the bridge position screws. I'm blessed and cursed by being able to hear when a guitar is out of tune.. or if the intonation is off. LOL

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#29]
If you can't clearly hear or feel the difference between a Chinese made guitar and a Martin, you are completely fine buying Chinese guitars.

I'm not saying that to be an asshole, though it may sound harsh,  but to even a fair ear and intermediate player, the difference is tremendously apparent. Still, I would urge you to buy a mid priced ( $500-$800) US made guitar, and practice. Take the time in practicing not only to get better with playing the instrument, but listening to it. Take some ear training classes, and I'm not sure how old you are, but get your hearing checked. I know my hearing is starting to fail at my age, I can tell it clearly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got one off Amazon. IYV, made in Vietnam.  Korean brand I think.  Other than some imperfections in the finish coating, it looks really nice and as far as playability, I haven't anything wrong with it.  I feel like I got a heck of product for >$200.  I'm perfectionist about a lot of things, particularly if they're brand new. But my expectations were wee-tempered from reviews, and just the fact that, my wood-working projects/finishes, always have some flaws, so I'm more forgiving(and don't want to bother with the return).  I don't know if I'd ever spend more than a grand on a guitar, so it's nice how many nice options their are for less.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#31]
You pray Led Liver Varrey?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't make high end guitars, they top out under 2 grand.  North American made guitars start at $750, no reason to buy an anything besides a starter guitar from Asia.
View Quote

I kinda like my cheap Canadian Seagull, far as starter guitars go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think everything above 3 series is still MIJ.

Of the Chinese guitars being made now, I think Eastman is the best , both acoustic and electric.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you can't clearly hear or feel the difference between a Chinese made guitar and a Martin, you are completely fine buying Chinese guitars.

I'm not saying that to be an asshole, though it may sound harsh,  but to even a fair ear and intermediate player, the difference is tremendously apparent. Still, I would urge you to buy a mid priced ( $500-$800) US made guitar, and practice. Take the time in practicing not only to get better with playing the instrument, but listening to it. Take some ear training classes, and I'm not sure how old you are, but get your hearing checked. I know my hearing is starting to fail at my age, I can tell it clearly.
View Quote
What is your opinion of Holosun?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had a couple Epiphone guitars, which nearly all of them are made in China, and they weren't that bad.  It was the electronics that were on the crappy side.  Switches and pots didn't last long.  I sold one and gave the other to my son.

My biggest POS is by far the Charvel that was made in Mexico at the Fender plant.  The Epis were incredibly better made.  

I've finally reached a point in my life I can afford to spend more money on toys.  I've got a bunch of American made guitars now, and they're all pretty good.  I'm going to keep buying American even if they aren't any better than the foreign made stuff.  I just don't want to send my money to the Chinese. (at least not all of it)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jesus Christ....

My main guitars are a parlor Martin and Gibson SG and LPs.

Get off your condescending horse
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I have 2 Squier Baritones that were made in China and they are pretty great. Great fretwork fit and finish. After I gave them a setup they play amazing.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yamaha, seriously
View Quote
I'm kind of salivating over the Yamaha Revstar Standard. Humbuckers...gorgeous. I need to play one and see if it sounds as great as it looks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not what the U.S. buyers ask them to build for us.  Other countries get some really nice Chinese stuff...because that is what they spec out.
You want it cheap?  They can do that.  You want it nice?  They can do that too.  But we order the cheapest possible shit they can produce and we get exactly that.

Tony
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't do it.
Played a Classic Vibe Tele when they first came out. Played great but just can't buy/play a Chinese guitar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I rolled the dice on a Walden (Chinese Taylor wannabes) acoustic many years ago because it was cheap, and I wanted a cutaway-electric beater to keep at the church for worship band duties.  It actually sounded pretty decent for a little while, but it was the most unstable thing I ever owned.  I didn't baby it, but I didn't abuse it either.  It just couldn't hold a setup.

My current acoustic is a 3-y/o Yamaha AC1R, made in China.  It's worlds better than that Walden was (at twice the price, not inflation-adjusted) but still doesn't really compare with a Taylor or Martin; although it's not really trying to.  It needed a little TLC once I brought it home (saddle needed flattening, cable clips in the body had come loose, and I replaced the nut with bone) and it's been rock solid for me.  I demo'd a couple of the mahogany A1s on the wall at GC and all of them were lifeless.  The one I bought was the only rosewood variant in the store, and it just clicked for me, so it's possible that I just found a good example.  There's a lot of variability with acoustics, so the classic advice still holds--play them until you find one that you like.

I still miss the Taylor 814ce I sold when I was in college.  That was dumb.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#42]
No comment on whatever quality the Chinese made guitars offer.  Maybe they are approaching level with Korean or Mexican.  Do not know or care.

I do know we are eventually going to be in a war with China and I for one do my best to avoid aiding their military buildup buying products made there.  

I am fine buying made in Thailand.  Japan.  Korea.  Vietnam.  Argentina.  The moon.  If the product is good source isn't that important and I understand not everything is made in the USA.  But China is where I TRY to draw the line.  if I can buy the product elsewhere even for more money I do.  God help me when I need another TV.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t care if they are the holy fucking grail of guitars.
FUCK CHINA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No comment on whatever quality the Chinese made guitars offer.  Maybe they are approaching level with Korean or Mexican.  Do not know or care.

I do know we are eventually going to be in a war with China and I for one do my best to avoid aiding their military buildup buying products made there.  

I am fine buying made in Thailand.  Japan.  Korea.  Vietnam.  Argentina.  The moon.  If the product is good source isn't that important and I understand not everything is made in the USA.  But China is where I TRY to draw the line.  if I can buy the product elsewhere even for more money I do.  God help me when I need another TV.  

View Quote

And there it is.

The truth that so few seem to grasp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I kinda like my cheap Canadian Seagull, far as starter guitars go.
View Quote

Seagull and all the Godin brands are great guitars for any money.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I have an Ibamez acoustic...solid wood body, bone nut and bridge...sounds amazing and was a third the price of a Martin. Having said that, the finish is crap. Sounds great, looks a bit shabby. I'll take it. Don't think it was made in China, but one of the SE Asia countries.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I've had some similar experiences, OP.

I'm on the hunt for a Taylor GA/GS sized guitar with a Florentine cutaway and as I continue to shop, inevitably I'll look at an Alvarez that's 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a Taylor and pick on it a minute or 2.

One of my favorite stores has 2 of the AG610CEARB models and the tone from both of them is remarkably consistent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Gotta be careful with those cheapo acoustics made with improperly seasoned wood. They tend to explode when the humidity gets low.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, we taught them how to make them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've had some similar experiences, OP.

I'm on the hunt for a Taylor GA/GS sized guitar with a Florentine cutaway and as I continue to shop, inevitably I'll look at an Alvarez that's 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a Taylor and pick on it a minute or 2.

One of my favorite stores has 2 of the AG610CEARB models and the tone from both of them is remarkably consistent.
View Quote

Honestly I don't think I've found a single Alvarez that I thought was crap.  They're pretty consistent, especially their tone.  

Compare that to modern Gibson acoustics and every single one sounds different.  Some good, some bad.  I ALWAYS wanted a songwriter, until I actually started playing them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top