Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:51:48 AM EDT
BEIJING -- China will strengthen regulation over the rare-earth metals industry, from mining to exports, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said Friday, in what some see as its latest response to ongoing tensions with the U.S.

Whereas current regulations focus on the production stage -- such as mine development, smelting or separation -- the draft law of the new regulations seeks to manage the "entire industry chain" of the precious ore, including refining, product transport and all the way up to exports.

The rules state that companies are obligated to follow export control laws and regulations regarding the export and import of rare-earth minerals. This suggests that Beijing could apply its new export control law implemented in December, which strengthens state control over the flow of strategic materials.

The ministry said it has started to solicit public opinion on the draft rules. The rules are expected to be implemented as early as this year.

The new rules would give Beijing greater control over the supply of materials that have become vital for high-tech manufacturing around the world. China accounts for more than 60% of global rare-earth production, and its exports sank to a five-year low in 2020.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Markets/Commodities/China-tightens-rare-earth-regulations-policing-entire-supply-chain

assho
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
China is going to be some some major muscle flexing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The squeeze is being put on Japan and the US, but as you can see from these charts it will hit Japan the hardest and the fastest.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/chinas-dominance-in-rare-earth-metals/

Hopefully, the deep-sea mining of rare earth minerals that the Japanese government is pumping billions of yen into will pay off soon.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
China is making moves.

Install green energy president in the USA who will mandate the destruction of domestic energy production.
Be the sole supplier of green energy (solar) and the raw materials to make panels and batteries.

End result = A nation awash in its own energy resources (that it is no longer allowed to use) is subservient to China for power.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The only reason why the chinese produce the most rare earth metals is because they're the only ones willing to do it. It produces a crazy amount of pollution that western countries aren't willing to put up with. There's a whole city in china that looks like a wasteland because they just dump toxic sludge in the streets and lakes. If the west wanted to we could (and should) mine our own.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason why the chinese produce the most rare earth metals is because they're the only ones willing to do it. It produces a crazy amount of pollution that western countries aren't willing to put up with. There's a whole city in china that looks like a wasteland because they just dump toxic sludge in the streets and lakes. If the west wanted to we could (and should) mine our own.
View Quote

Just one city that looks like that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not, who's going to stop them?  Sleepy Joe...lol, NO...he's on their payroll too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
and the greenies will close down all our mines or put the kabosh on any new mines opening up...assume Canada will do the same?...
Make China Great Again
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimvinoski/2021/01/15/these-two-companies-are-innovating-to-help-with-americas-rare-earths-challenge/?sh=19fc07be68ac
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If only there was a country we invaded almost 20 years ago that was awash with the same rare earth minerals.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The squeeze is being put on Japan and the US, but as you can see from these charts it will hit Japan the hardest and the fastest.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/chinas-dominance-in-rare-earth-metals/

Hopefully, the deep-sea mining of rare earth minerals that the Japanese government is pumping billions of yen into will pay off soon.

View Quote

Here's hoping. Otherwise China has both countries by the nuts - what technology doesn't make use of rare-earths? Barring successful deep sea nodule collection or seabed mining our only hope is something like discovery of a cheaper or easier process for extraction and separation. "Rare" earth metals are common but hard to get. Aluminum used to be difficult to separate as well so who knows.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The thing about rare Earths is that they are literally only rare on Earth. We need to seriously kickstart our ability mine in the solar system.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Biden will stop them.........
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Good for China. Let them be the dominant power on the planet if they're willing to do what needs done to get there and stay there. We had our shot and didn't even make it a full century after taking over for the British.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good for China. Let them be the dominant power on the planet if they're willing to do what needs done to get there and stay there. We had our shot and didn't even make it a full century after taking over for the British.
View Quote

You know........if we are too fucking stupid as a country to see the writing on the wall.......then fuck it, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the west wanted to we could (and should) mine our own.
View Quote

Your neighborhood first
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The thing about rare Earths is that they are literally only rare on Earth. We need to seriously kickstart our ability mine in the solar system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wrong.

...rare-earth elements are relatively plentiful in Earth's crust, with cerium being the 25th most abundant element at 68 parts per million, more abundant than copper.

I do agree on asteroidal mining of course - that would be great and is doable with current tech.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Their minerals. Their rules.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't DOD issue a report years ago that said China's CCP having control over the rare earth metals supply chain was an immediate existential threat and the US needed at least  a 100,000 Ton stockpile to be safe?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
A few years ago a guy proved a few square miles of ocean floor had all the rare earth we needed for years.
Never heard a thing about that again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't DOD issue a report years ago that said China's CCP having control over the rare earth metals supply chain was an immediate existential threat and the US needed at least  a 100,000 Ton stockpile to be safe?
View Quote

That rings a bell......
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If only there was a country we invaded almost 20 years ago that was awash with the same rare earth minerals.
View Quote

The problem with that is the security and access cost. Plus the bribes, goats, and donkeys you have to pay for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
China is making moves.

Install green energy president in the USA who will mandate the destruction of domestic energy production.
Be the sole supplier of green energy (solar) and the raw materials to make panels and batteries.

End result = A nation awash in its own energy resources (that it is no longer allowed to use) is subservient to China for power.
View Quote

To add to your point, China has little to no environmental protection, while the western world in stymied by it.
I recall a documentary or news report about where your recycled computers go in China and it was a dude squatting in a ditch melting the metals out of a circuit board with what appeared to be a blowtorch. The waste was just going into the stream. He was wearing shorts and flip flops.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Of course they are.

The question of course is will they be able to police their own citizens/party when it becomes a high(er) value item(s)?

Speed
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
China is making moves.

View Quote

Exactly. I can see this and I'm not a genius man. All these raw materials are needed for electronics, solar panels, and electric vehicles that governments are mandating into use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

If only there was already a source in the US

2008 Reserve estimates put around 100 years of reserves at past production rates.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gee - you mean like the same problem we have with tungsten? Where's that come from again? Oh right - China mines 80000 tons annually.

Meanwhile we aren't allowed to mine the giant deposits - one of which has been estimated to have north of 150000 tons of tungsten - in places like Colorado Utah Idaho and Montana. For EPA bullshit reasons.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A few years ago a guy proved a few square miles of ocean floor had all the rare earth we needed for years.
Never heard a thing about that again.
View Quote

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/norway-moves-quickly-to-start-undersea-mining/5737646.html

The race is on to do it, but something about sucking up a few meters of the ocean floor, filtering out the stuff you want (chemically or another way), and dumping the stuff you don't want back in the ocean is concerning for fishermen.

The minerals are there, but getting access to them cleanly is the challenge. Japan expects to do it within 10 years and they have been working on it for over 20 years, it's that difficult and dirty.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am interested to see what they do in the South China Sea and Djibouti.   Would not be too hard for them to take over the Red Sea/Suez canal and the area around the Straits of Malacca.   Would Joe step to them?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a Big Lie going on about "rare earths".
Any time you mine rare earths you get Thorium. Thorium is completely safe, you could eat a big handful.
But the fucking American filthy pinko communists declared Thorium to be a "nuclear fuel". This is NOT TRUE. Thorium must absorb a neutron to become fissile and become a nuclear fuel.
What this did is shut down rare earth mining in America, and help create the Chinese lock on rare earths.
The US could start producing shit-tons of rare earths tomorrow if this evil shit-bird regulation was removed.
There is already a company that has volunteered to buy up all the Thorium anyone mines, so it's not an issue at all.

This is how evil our "congress" is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am interested to see what they do in the South China Sea and Djibouti.   Would not be too hard for them to take over the Red Sea/Suez canal and the area around the Straits of Malacca.   Would Joe step to them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No - but he might jump to help them. Wouldn't that be something? USA troops aiding China in taking places over.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#32]
We do have this - I have a very small stake in this company as a 'lottery ticket'

http://www.rareelementresources.com/bear-lodge-project
http://www.rareelementresources.com/bear-lodge-project
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gee - you mean like the same problem we have with tungsten? Where's that come from again? Oh right - China mines 80000 tons annually.

Meanwhile we aren't allowed to mine the giant deposits - one of which has been estimated to have north of 150000 tons of tungsten - in places like Colorado Utah Idaho and Montana. For EPA bullshit reasons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been thinking its CCP backing the environmental groups that oppose the US mining their own all the while advocating for more products that use it.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That also implies refining and manufacturing in orbit or elsewhere in space.
While I (really!) like the idea of mining space, there are major hurdles to doing this.

- Time - the time it takes to get ore or product from the asteroid belt to earth orbit via minimum power trajectory is significant. Measured in years.
- Micro-gravity - prolonged living in micro gravity has long-term bad effects on people.
- Accidents - a large chunk of ore/product that is a bit off in its orbit comes crashing to earth. This would easily be equal to a megaton level nuke going off.
- Monopoly - only very large and well-funded operations could enter this business.
- Ect....  - I'm sure there are a boat-load of other issues out there that I'm not thinking of.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Remember when we had to smuggle Tungsten out of the USSR to build the SR-71?

Fun times
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Your neighborhood first
View Quote

Mining isn't really the issue, it's the refining. The buy-products are so toxic they make Bhopal look like a picnic area. I was heavy into Lynas when they were about to bring a facility online in Malaysia, right up until the Malaysian government got a good look at what they were signing up for. When money won't overcome a couple of hundred tons of carcinogenic tailings in the third world, you got some dirty shit on your hands.

Hmmm, off to look at Lynas again...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is why they are so involved with getting "green" laws and politicians who support them put in place in the west.

China is a generational thinking hivemind. If they destroy vast swaths of their own nation on the road to global domination, it represents an acceptable loss.
All those nice, pristine, well cared for western nations just sitting out there for them to occupy in 100-200 years once they have bankrupted and starved out the current occupants.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#38]
LOL

but what about the MA mandate for all electric vehicles by 2035?

but what about our de-carbonization to solar power

where will we get the ingredients make make all the batteries and solar cells?

oh no!

anyway...

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
And we could do it much cleaner.  But not as cheaply.

But mines of all sorts are going to be curtailed under the democunts totalitarian regime.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
uhh, they are rare everywhere

supernova production is expensive
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#41]
China owns the highest purity known reserves of silicon on the planet, under our mountains in Western North Carolina.  That's right, the FCCP owns it.  

https://www.wired.com/story/book-excerpt-science-of-ultra-pure-silicon/

I'm sure this is the case for some other raw resources as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#42]
The US lets a pansy get into the White House and China fucks everyone? Shocking...

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad I got my mini magnets already.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#44]
So this is how magnets work?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
We were dependent on hostile nations to get our oil, now we'll be dependent on hostile nations to get our batteries.

It's obviously intentional.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Defense Metals (DEFN.V DFMTF) has been stretching its legs recently.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#47]
IIRC it's not the mining thats the problem environmentally its the processing and supposedly they are working on a plant in Texas to handle processing. The project was funded in part by the DoD for this very reason.....China would eventually use their production as a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I've said it before and I will say it again......F CHINA! 10ring
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They aren’t even rare on earth.  Poorly named element group that is actually fairly common.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus yall need some science, rare Earth minerals aren't rare.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top