Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2021 2:04:10 AM EDT
Our little girl blew her knee out a couple of weeks ago and the vet says surgery is in her future.  I’ve had four knee surgeries so far, but no experience with a dog.  Anyone have experience with this?  Said beast..
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#1]
7 - 8 years ago our Jack Russel/Beagle had knee surgery. They cut her open wow. She had to wear the cone of shame for 2 weeks.
It worked miracles for her never a single issue.

Tomorrow I am taking my Yellow Lab to a vet and discuss her torn ACL
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
7 - 8 years ago our Jack Russel/Beagle had knee surgery. They cut her open wow. She had to wear the cone of shame for 2 weeks.

View Quote

Hope our girl gets the same relief.   Not the typical yapper chihuahua.  She loves us and we want her to be pain free.  All nine pounds of her is heart.  She’s a good girl.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Ted, our Golden/Rottie mix tore up his knee playing with our other two dogs.   TPLO is the surgical treatment he got.   $6K.   It's a big deal.   He needs his other knee done, too.  He's worth it.

By the way, it is not a knee - it is a stifle.  That may help with any googling you do, but I still call it a knee.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#4]
(Removed, warning sent

"Intentionally disrupting threads discussing member's pets will result in an account lock. If you have difficulty figuring out what "disrupting" a pet thread means, then you should probably avoid posting in them."

~guns762)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Two dogs. Both mutts about 90 pounds each. Both of them had each knee operated on.

I have $12k in dog knees asleep on my couch right now
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this where the kneecap dislocates and they tripod? My little girl had that as a young dog. At first it seemed shocking or painful to her but eventually she’d hop over to me and I’d put it back in place and she’d be back to playing. We decided to do the surgery and it was worth it, once recovered she was 100%. We only worried the other stifle/knee would pop but thankfully it never did.

Cute doggos!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
My Shih Tzu had back surgery several years ago.  He stayed at the vet for several days, where they closely monitored him, and then he was GTG.  The hardest part was keeping him less active once we got home.  Little dude was looking to be WFO the moment we left the vet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Go find somewhere else to shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Any jackass that does this in a dog or cat thread needs a week or two timeout to think about it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Shih Tzu had back surgery several years ago.  He stayed at the vet for several days, where they closely monitored him, and then he was GTG.  The hardest part was keeping him less active once we got home.  Little dude was looking to be WFO the moment we left the vet.
View Quote

I noticed that too - our dog was like zero OR full speed with the recovery. They don’t understand they gotta ramp up, not go fullbore right out of the gate!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Awww, cute pups!  Nothing to add other than good luck, I hope they get her fixed up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope. I hope your little pal is better soon. Hope your wallet feels better as well!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday.  Not happy seeing my girl have to go through this, but hopefully it will ease her pain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Both of our pugs have had surgery for luxated patellas. The surgery it’s self wasn’t that bad. The recovery was a little bit if a challenge. Trying to keep them immobilized as much as possible and not jump. We ended up resorting to putting stuff on the furniture so they wouldn’t jump while we were not home. It worked. They are 13 now with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chihuahua Knee Surgery...

...is the name of my new band

View Quote

Does have a ring to it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#17]
We have a westie that will eventually have to get it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

UPDATE Lacey has a dislocated hip.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Chihuahua Knee Surgery...

...is the name of my new band

View Quote

You turd.

I was gonna post that!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Bilateral TPLO surgery on our little girl, 135 pounds of Great Dane.

She is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully an easier fix.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bilateral TPLO surgery on our little girl, 135 pounds of Great Dane.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20190913_115213-1393737.jpg

She is worth it.
View Quote

That looks rough.  How long did it take for her to heal?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, mutt blew out her ACL (or whatever the doggie equivalent is) making a direction change while chasing a tree rat.  The surgeon cut her leg in half to reroute the muscles and ligaments to the other side, something horrific like that, and she now has a metal plate in her leg.  She. too, wore the cone of shame for trying to act like a pup, and I had to carry her up and down stairs, and make sure she didn't try to leap fences and such, for several months but she's now back to (almost) full health.  $4000+ but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL I can't be the only one who was using that joke!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yep, mutt blew out her ACL (or whatever the doggie equivalent is) making a direction change while chasing a tree rat.  The surgeon cut her leg in half to reroute the muscles and ligaments to the other side, something horrific like that, and she now has a metal plate in her leg.  She. too, wore the cone of shame for trying to act like a pup, and I had to carry her up and down stairs, and make sure she didn't try to leap fences and such, for several months but she's now back to (almost) full health.  $4000+ but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
View Quote

Wow!  We’ve been quoted $800.  Seems like a bargain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Try to keep her weight down after the surgery, little dogs have an easier time with their knees because of their comparatively lower weight but carrying any extra weight is an additional burden on delicate joints.  It's tough because Chihuahuas are eating machines, I've never seen a dog that can pack away more food than a Chihuahua on a pound-for-pound basis.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bilateral TPLO surgery on our little girl, 135 pounds of Great Dane.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308700/20190913_115213-1393737.jpg

She is worth it.

They won't do the TPLO surgery on a small dog like yours. One of my chihuahuas had ACL surgery about 5 years ago and they use a suture to stabilize the joint until the scar tissue can build up and stabilize it further.

As others have mentioned, the hardest part of recovery was keeping him from running and jumping for a month. He didn't mess with his stitches/incision so we didn't have to use the cone of shame very much.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

6 weeks of only leash walk to pee and poop.

Then 6 weeks of limited walks on the leash, no over doing it type stuff.

Limited free roaming runs, for a few months, total freedom after about 4 months.

It changed the angle in the knee just a bit, so she is not as fast when she runs, but she is happy and so are we.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm having trouble reading OP's thread title without chuckling.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm having trouble reading OP's thread title without chuckling.  
View Quote

It is kind of funny!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife talked to the vet a bit this afternoon.  It is going to be a patella repair and he’s inserting some synthetic cartilage.  He made it sound like it wouldn’t be a bad or particularly long recovery so we’re feeling a little less anxious about it now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Chi chi’s really are the best little dogs out there. Here are mine. Yours will do just fine!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
(Removed, warning sent

"Intentionally disrupting threads discussing member's pets will result in an account lock. If you have difficulty figuring out what "disrupting" a pet thread means, then you should probably avoid posting in them."

~guns762)
View Quote
you should have lost your account for that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wife talked to the vet a bit this afternoon.  It is going to be a patella repair and he's inserting some synthetic cartilage.  He made it sound like it wouldn't be a bad or particularly long recovery so we're feeling a little less anxious about it now.
View Quote
She'll bounce back surprisingly quick. The hardest part is keeping her from going full out too soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Showed this to the wife and she reminded me of 2 things:

1: DO the PT, you’ll have to help.

2: NO jumping. My little 9lb. dog thought she was a champion dockjumper, and wanted to return to it the second she felt OK... got to keep them from doing that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was expecting a thread about you getting a knee surgery in chihuahua Mexico
View Quote

I’m looking at total replacements in the next couple of years, but I don’t think I want to go the cheap route!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dammit man did your mommy not hold you when you were a child?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Chi chi’s really are the best little dogs out there. Here are mine. Yours will do just fine!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66729/1C545B02-A339-492B-B1B2-43C125D09094_jpe-1781100.JPG
View Quote

Thanks!  Those are some nice looking fellows.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 on the tibial plateau leveling (TPLO) approach. It costs more than the suture wire, but it is more reliable. We did both of our crocker spaniel's knees at once as both were in bad shape. It was cheaper in the long run but we had to be cautious that she didn't push herself too hard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn my 11 yo Elkhound tore his ACL. Couldn’t walk and in pain. My vet did the surgery, fixed him up. Cone of Sadness for a couple of weeks, then good as new. Never had another problem with it. He lived to 16.

I think we paid maybe $350.  My sister’s dog did the same, her vet charged her north of $600.

I told my vet, he smiled and said, guess I oughta raise my prices. He didn’t.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
+1 on the tibial plateau leveling (TPLO) approach. It costs more than the suture wire, but it is more reliable. We did both of our crocker spaniel's knees at once as both were in bad shape. It was cheaper in the long run but we had to be cautious that she didn't push herself too hard.
View Quote

I had a tibial plateau fracture repair done thirteen years ago.  Painful doesn’t even come close to describing it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Foxy Roxy says Good Luck!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Tell Foxy that Maggie and her family definitely appreciate the kind thoughts!  She’s a cutie!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Is a vet in central Alabama doing the surgery?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#46]
South Alabama, actually.  Guy seems to be well regarded.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Hope everything works out for your dog.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hope everything works out for your dog.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#49]
About 25 years ago our lab had knee surgery.  She did fine and chased sticks for many more years.  The chihuahua, being small, should do just fine hopping on one leg for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#50]
She had her surgery this morning and we’ve had two updates today that she was repaired and doing well.  We should be able to pick her up at nine tomorrow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top