Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2020 8:02:07 PM EDT
Fox News just ran a story about crews being put in isolation for 14 days over COVID-19 before doing a one month rotation at Cheyenne Mountain. However, last I heard NORAD had actually moved to Peterson AFB and Cheyenne Mountain is now just a backup site. I'd assume other complexes like Raven Rock and Mount Weather would be doing similar things. Google news has a few articles from places like The Daily Record and Eurasia Review, but not much.

So...is this just the media making sensationalist headlines about the virus and everything is business as usual or should we be taking notice that actions are being taken concerning the continuity of government?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The SAGE complex in North Bay Ontario has been shut for over twenty years. It was basically the same thing as Cheyenne Mountain. I grew up there.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
hell I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it do any good

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fox News just ran a story about crews being put in isolation for 14 days over COVID-19 before doing a one month rotation at Cheyenne Mountain. However, last I heard NORAD had actually moved to Peterson AFB and Cheyenne Mountain is now just a backup site. I'd assume other complexes like Raven Rock and Mount Weather would be doing similar things. Google news has a few articles from places like The Daily Record and Eurasia Review, but not much.

So...is this just the media making sensationalist headlines about the virus and everything is business as usual or should we be taking notice that actions are being taken concerning the continuity of government?
View Quote

Northern Command’s top guy was on Fox and he confirmed the move.

I don’t think it’s continuity of government as much as continuity of military command and control.

The f’ing moron captain of the Roosevelt made a public pronouncement that our military will remain plenty capable a necessity, imo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SAGE complex in North Bay Ontario has been shut for over twenty years. It was basically the same thing as Cheyenne Mountain. I grew up there.

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/Pinetreeline/misc/other/misc6m6.jpg
View Quote

I’ve toured the facility at the Greenbrier in WV, replaced by Mt Weather. It’s pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to go to the mountain all the time. Cool place. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it were getting some extra use right now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to go to the mountain all the time. Cool place. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it were getting some extra use right now.
View Quote

Which mountain.

Cheyenne or Weather or ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which mountain.

Cheyenne or Weather or ?
View Quote

Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cheyenne.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which mountain.

Cheyenne or Weather or ?

Cheyenne.

How'd you get your plane down them skinny aisles?

Did you have to use your horn a lot?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

No fly, joint job.

No, I walked
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Just because *NORAD* might be somewhere else, doesn't mean they aren't going to stand up another command and control site for the AF or armed forces in general. Or to be ready to take over the functions of NORAD should that site be compromised. Something like 30 day tours which switch off on alternating 2 week intervals would be a way to have a very high assurance of continuity of command and control.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've toured the facility at the Greenbrier in WV, replaced by Mt Weather. It's pretty cool.
View Quote
I've been there, too. It wasn't replaced by Mount Weather. Greenbriar was Congress, Mount Weather was President and Exec Branch. Raven Rock was DoD.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago,  my uncle designed and built a machine to go in and replace the springs under Cheyenne mountain.   The things were about the size of a 55 gallon barrel.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Were you on an SG team?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Site R is as busy as a beehive right now.

Mt. Weather is a backwater for tertiary matters.  Probably busy though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Makes sense

Functional continuity of government is part of the deterent. Cannot guarantee function in a bunker with an outbreak.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been there, too. It wasn't replaced by Mount Weather. Greenbriar was Congress, Mount Weather was President and Exec Branch. Raven Rock was DoD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've toured the facility at the Greenbrier in WV, replaced by Mt Weather. It's pretty cool.

Mt. Weather has never been a destination for any President since the late 1960s.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No fly, joint job.

No, I walked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fly, joint job.

No, I walked

If I were a pilot, I would still make doppler shift whooshing noises as I passed people in the hallways. I would also make secretaries use those funny flashlights with the orange cones to direct me to my temporary desk and when I left for the day.

They would all be severely dehydrated from moisties by lunchtime.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

There used to be a bar up the road in Blue Ridge Summit right next to the train tracks ~ 1/2 way between Ft. Ritchie and Raven Rock. A nice place to have a Pabst Blue Ribbon and wait for the trains to roll by.

Tell them that during this crisis, all control can be turned over to GD in an emergency. Quality posters, with over say 75,000 posts, could be 100% relied upon to keep things running.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There used to be a bar up the road in Blue Ridge Summit right next to the train tracks ~ 1/2 way between Ft. Ritchie and Raven Rock. A nice place to have a Pabst Blue Ribbon and wait for the trains to roll by.

Tell them that during this crisis, all control can be turned over to GD in an emergency. Quality posters, with over say 75,000 posts, could be 100% relied upon to keep things running.

View Quote

The dive bar next to the Ft. Ritchie train tracks was "Chocolate Park".  Not sure about one on the PA side.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The dive bar next to the Ft. Ritchie train tracks was "Chocolate Park".  Not sure about one on the PA side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it got renamed: ""Unique Bar" 13314 Monterey Ln, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17214

Says they've been there since 1952, on the 7th owner. Been quite a spell since I've been through there. Maybe when travel is ok again.

Food was good a decade or so ago, reviews still positive
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No fly, joint job.

No, I walked
View Quote

Same here.  At least the gym is decent for the folks that will be there.  First time I was there was Sept 2013 right after the massive rain and mudslide at the main entrance.  Water was running all over the inside and it was damp and musty as could be.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Looks like it got renamed: ""Unique Bar" 13314 Monterey Ln, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17214

https://fastly.4sqi.net/img/general/580x434/O5Y5D4IDXIEK52KNGJ3ZBBZZUF53XEZBBVYLCTYMRYE0KMWZ.jpg

Says they've been there since 1952, on the 7th owner. Been quite a spell since I've been through there. Maybe when travel is ok again.

Food was good a decade or so ago, reviews still positive
View Quote

Looks like they've cleaned it up a bit since I last saw it.  High Rock (a former popular hang glider launch spot) is 5-6 minutes from there and a great view of the valley.

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to visit a church camp on Raven Rock in the early 80's.   Hiking one of  the trails, I could over look a bunch of power lines and to a door in the mountain down below.  Lots of antennas on top of that Mtn, as well.

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I assume that much activity isn't routine?

It's funny, but through this whole pandemic I keep thinking about The Day After and how that movie had such a big impact during my formative years. During the lead up to nuclear war all the signs were there. The Soviets massed armor on their borders, shut off West Berlin, and hours before the launch on the US there were reports of tactical nukes used in Europe. With the perfectly obvious staring them in the face people were still caught flat-footed due to normality bias. Discerning these events and being prepared for it just a day earlier would have been a huge advantage. That really instilled in me a need to keep an ear to the ground.

Now hearing stuff like this, captains of aircraft carriers sending letters to the press, and 1/2 the world in lockdown has me really hoping I'm just a paranoid nutter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Raven Rock is cool as shit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/Pinetreeline/misc/other/misc6m6.jpg
View Quote

If they turned on the generators after being sealed airtight, the entire staff would be dead in hours. Brilliant!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn’t they ship Congress to Mt Weather 9/11?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#28]
My stupid question about norad, why would you move a hardened facility to a non hardened one above ground with what they did there. Is it the fact that its close enough they can run over and lock the doors, or have we spread out the mission so a single strike to the place would not matter as there is redundant capability with other places ?

Or lastly is there a new one that we dont know about?

I do know someone who technically works for the NSA, but where he works is under a mountain in PA. I said "oh raven rock" and he said no some where else but would not give info.  So we do still have places that are not known about.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Raven Rock is cool as shit.
View Quote

When I re-entered the motorcycle scene, I was tooling around some of the back roads in Southern PA. I took a road that lead me up to a mysterious and eerie high gated fence monitored by closed circuit cameras and such. You could tell it was a high security complex and I had no idea what it could be. There were no signs or anything indicating what it was. I did some Google work and found out it was Raven Rock. I knew what Camp David was but never heard of this place. I half expected personnel to come storming out to ask what I was doing there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My stupid question about norad, why would you move a hardened facility to a non hardened one above ground with what they did there. Is it the fact that its close enough they can run over and lock the doors, or have we spread out the mission so a single strike to the place would not matter as there is redundant capability with other places ?

Or lastly is there a new one that we dont know about?

I do know someone who technically works for the NSA, but where he works is under a mountain in PA. I said "oh raven rock" and he said no some where else but would not give info.  So we do still have places that are not known about.
View Quote

1.  Fixed facilities are no longer considered survivable from strategic action
2.  You must be kidding.
3.  You must be kidding.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1.  Fixed facilities are no longer considered survivable from strategic action
2.  You must be kidding.
3.  You must be kidding.
View Quote

I understand that thought

Maybe, maybe not

I am not, he stated it was a small facility. He was signal intel in the army, so I would assume he is somewhere along or at one of the microwave towers and now fiber hub from the old systems. When I stated raven rock and he said no, he did say it was a small mountain. Probably one of the ones laughing us while we read conspiracy stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top