Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 11:01:59 PM EDT
Bought an 05 Tahoe LT with autoride for daily driving.

This “truck” allows my Audi S5 to sleep in the garage and honestly I love it. First American car I’ve ever owned. Don’t get me wrong the quality is laughably bad, especially the interior. However the truth is it should be pretty reliable.

Anyone ever lifted a “gmt 800 with autoride?” I realize I’ll have to remove it altogether. Does it make that much of a difference in comfort level?

Also want a remote start. Any suggestions?

Quality issues aside, I’m blown away by the quietness and comfort that this thing offers.

I do wish I bought a Suburban. The extra space is worth it because you can fit plywood in the back. Curious if the additional length provides a smoother ride...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
longer wheelbase does provide little better ride

how much are you wanting to lift it?  if just a little, you might be able to keep autoride.

remote start - not sure.  aftermarket alarm would def. get that for you.

tahoeyukonforum.com would be a good site to check out
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure it didn’t come with remote start?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure it didn’t come with remote start?
View Quote

I don't believe any GMT800's ever came factory with remote start
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my '11 tahoe.

That is all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Stevejg1 thread
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bought an 05 Tahoe LT with autoride for daily driving.

This “truck” allows my Audi S5 to sleep in the garage and honestly I love it. First American car I’ve ever owned. Don’t get me wrong the quality is laughably bad, especially the interior. However the truth is it should be pretty reliable.

Anyone ever lifted a “gmt 800 with autoride?” I realize I’ll have to remove it altogether. Does it make that much of a difference in comfort level?

Also want a remote start. Any suggestions?

Quality issues aside, I’m blown away by the quietness and comfort that this thing offers.

I do wish I bought a Suburban. The extra space is worth it because you can fit plywood in the back. Curious if the additional length provides a smoother ride...
View Quote

That means it's really bad, if you're an Audi owner.

As a former Audi S3 owner, Audi is to interior what saturn was to... cars in general.

ETA: and before the hate starts flowing, I've owned/driven BMWs, mercs, etc.

The RS6 was flimsy inside, the SQ5 was laughable. My '98 ML320 put them to shame, and it wasn't great, either. The 650 would have been okay, if it had a cup holder.

That said, I've seen reliability with the Tahoes/Suburbans. 300k miles with a rebuild isn't uncommon for mid 2000 GM models.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Loved my ‘05 Hoe.  Best vehicle I ever had and the i’m a high mileage guy and been through many.  

That era 5.3 was a fantastic engine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Lifting and getting more aggressive tires? Makes more road noise, usually rougher ride quality, probably less MPG. The additional NVH droning you’ll most likely notice in the cabin gets pretty old pretty fast in a daily driver.

Forego the lift and get some good Continental truck tires and ride in comfort.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lifting and getting more aggressive tires? Makes more road noise, usually rougher ride quality, probably less MPG. The additional NVH droning you’ll most likely notice in the cabin gets pretty old pretty fast in a daily driver.

View Quote

OP didn't say he had an HD, did he?

Truck tires wouldn't make that ride any nicer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HD or not, stiffer tires are stiffer tires
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol.

Pretty sure the interior on ANY '05 vehicle is going to be bad by today's standards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
My mom had a 05 Yukon Denali (fancy Tahoe) with the autoride air suspension, and I have an 03 Tahoe with the regular plain jane springs and shocks suspension.  By the time her Denali was totaled out by her insurance, she had sunk about 5k into trying to get her suspension to work, and it still wasn't right.  I have only had to replace my shocks due to normal wear, and I'm on my 4th set at 260K miles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#13]
The LS platform is one of the most reliable gas burners ever made
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are good points
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That means it's really bad, if you're an Audi owner.

As a former Audi S3 owner, Audi is to interior what saturn was to... cars in general.

ETA: and before the hate starts flowing, I've owned/driven BMWs, mercs, etc.

The RS6 was flimsy inside, the SQ5 was laughable. My '98 ML320 put them to shame, and it wasn't great, either. The 650 would have been okay, if it had a cup holder.

That said, I've seen reliability with the Tahoes/Suburbans. 300k miles with a rebuild isn't uncommon for mid 2000 GM models.
View Quote

I can’t disagree with you any more. Audi interiors are some of the best out there and they’ve won countless awards for it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Rock solid rigs. People talk about 4 runners but Tahoe/Yukons will last just as long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

I bought this 1996 with 185k on it for a fun/project vehicle for me and my son to fart around with. I was also impressed with how smooth it rides and how much power it has being 25 years old.

I have a feeling my mechanic is going to be able to buy a new yacht for himself with all the money I'm about to give him though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top