Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2021 4:56:35 PM EDT
Food prices are getting insane. Going to stock up on some items & do a little more hunting this fall as a hedge against inflation. Just looking for a chest freezer that doesn’t suck. Already have an old school over/under garage fridge. Thx
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
May I suggest you use the search function? Two threads (here, team) with activity as recent as yesterday.

Two multipaged archived threads also exist.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May I suggest you use the search function? Two threads (here, team) with activity as recent as yesterday.

Two multipaged archived threads also exist.
View Quote

Lol…I guess I didn’t consider that chest freezers would be a hot topic.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol…I guess I didn’t consider that chest freezers would be a hot topic.
View Quote

They are a cold topic. Probably why you’re having trouble
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Another question:  Which have a one piece plastic insert?    All the ones I’ve seen are made with aluminum panels inside, which would leak if they lose power.    I guess I could use silicon calking, but I’d rather just a plastic one piece insert.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Get an upright 30+ cu foot
It's much easier to sort through shelves then dig to the bottom of a 3-4' deep freezer.
IMHO
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Are freezers readily available now?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get an upright 30+ cu foot
It's much easier to sort through shelves then dig to the bottom of a 3-4' deep freezer.
IMHO
View Quote

Not a bad idea, seems like much less of a PIA
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are freezers readily available now?
View Quote

I have seen plenty of "off brand" ones at various big box stores.

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Uprights are the best.  I have 2 ups and 2 chests.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up getting two smaller chest freezers and filled the lower half of each with cases of water, just to avoid digging for things.

I believe some companies make them, but I've never seen an upright freezer that wasn't frost free.  Which I've read several times is not a feature you want.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe some companies make them, but I've never seen an upright freezer that wasn't frost free.  Which I've read several times is not a feature you want.
View Quote

In other words, you have no experience with one and just repeating something you heard  eh?

This idea is something floated around without any basis of fact. I have pulled whole chickens from my upright after 6 months and cooked alongside a fresh from the grocers chicken - no difference.

Look at the thread from yesterday.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Stand-Up-Side-by-side-Freezer-or-Chest-Freezer-/5-2493170/?page=1
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Chest freezers are pretty basic, any of the normal brand names will work. If you need too keep it in your garage make sure it's garage rated, some of them are not.

I like a chest for long term storage, uprights are nice for day to day stuff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Chest freezers are pretty basic, any of the normal brand names will work. If you need too keep it in your garage make sure it's garage rated, some of them are not.

View Quote

This.  I paid extra for a chest freezer that would comfortably operate in a Florida garage.  Check the operating temp range.

Most of the cheap ones are designed to work in a temperature controlled environment.   The cheap ones may work in a hot garage for a few years, but it will shorten the life span.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In other words, you have no experience with one and just repeating something you heard  eh?

This idea is something floated around without any basis of fact. I have pulled whole chickens from my upright after 6 months and cooked alongside a fresh from the grocers chicken - no difference.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Stand-Up-Side-by-side-Freezer-or-Chest-Freezer-/5-2493170/?page=1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which idea, that temperature fluctuation in a freezer probably isn't a good thing for storing food?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.  I paid extra for a chest freezer that would comfortably operate in a Florida garage.  Check the operating temp range.

Most of the cheap ones are designed to work in a temperature controlled environment.   The cheap ones may work in a hot garage for a few years, but it will shorten the life span.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sister lost an entire freezer of meat because they had one that wasn't garage rated. It saw some serious temperature swings, below zero that winter, then well over 100 in the garage in the summer.

It didn't make it a year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which idea, that temperature fluctuation in a freezer probably isn't a good thing for storing food?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like the idea of all the cold air just falling out of an upright every time you open it.

Even with the chest freezer, I try to limit how often it's opened, and I'll move items up to the freezer/fridge in the kitchen in batches.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Respectfully, you are discussing a theory that you have never tested or thought deeply about.

Quoted:

@stillerfan

Maybe a frost free fridge from 40 years ago?

I have temp sensors in my (frost free) freezer; the lowest temp so far in 15 months is -2F. The highest temp 10.7F,  and that was for 6hrs we left the house with the freezer door ajar. It never went above 10.7F. The typical range is 3.2F ~ 5.0F.

My freezer has a set temp of 4F.

My compressor uses 95 watts while running. The heating element uses ~ 475 watts, they never run together.  Compressor runs  as needed, in average 1x every 4hrs for about 3 minutes (corroborated by reports from my APC Smart UPS).

Read this: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Stand-Up-Side-by-side-Freezer-or-Chest-Freezer-/5-2493170/?page=1#i95155812

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry - you either are a terrible cook or have a terrible palate or your grocery store is selling "fresh" that is actually FROZEN

There is a Big difference between fresh and frozen chicken
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Any one you can find.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a used no name chest freezer from a GI PCSing out for $50.
It is @ 14-16* F every time I open it.
It's been running all summer in the garage. I keep ice, beans and rice, coffee,bread, and frozen vegetables in it.
The only meat I put in it is chicken quarters for the dogs.
SFSG
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sorry - you either are a terrible cook or have a terrible palate or your grocery store is selling "fresh" that is actually FROZEN

There is a Big difference between fresh and frozen chicken
View Quote

When I want to learn things, I strive to do so from people with at least 51% integrity.

You have no idea what process I'm using to cook (typically smoker). Same applies to salmon or brisket (what I keep typically in the upright).
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cooked a whole chicken last week from 2016. It was in the factory bag and we couldn't tell any difference than if we had put it in there the week before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top