Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2022 4:14:28 PM EDT
I have a 30+ year old 18” Homelite that has been good, but lately it would will not restart without cooling down. It’s not like I use one very often, but need one occasionally to cut up a fell tree. I’m in need of some tree trimming on a lot where I’m building. I don’t have a pole saw but I’m considering on getting one. I hate keeping up with multiple gas small engines that I don’t use often, so electric seems appealing. I don’t like Electic because it’s usually cheaper to replace them than repair. I will have to use a ladder if I choose a saw. The choices are below.

I can get a pole saw attachment for my Stihl Gas powered Kombi

Stihl HTA 86 Electric Pole saw

Stihl MSA electric saw

Milwaukee 16” electric saw

Milwaukee polesaw

Replace my saw with a Stihl MS 250

I’ve been struggling with this for a week. It only a few hundred bucks but I hate buying tools that I end up hating. What to do?

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Dewalt 20v 15" pole saw and have been very impressed with it. So much so that I bought the chainsaw to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Dewalt 20v 15" pole saw and have been very impressed with it. So much so that I bought the chainsaw to go with it.
View Quote
I have the same pole saw. The battery life is crazy good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Stihl HT103 is what I have.  If you use it a lot, just buy a real one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get the Stihl attachment or a gas powered saw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Stihl gas pole saw and it's Stihl the best option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have the Stihl gas pole saw and it's Stihl the best option.
View Quote

Beat back 40 acres with one for years, and it still runs as new..
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the EGO variety and I love it.  

I had the Remington version back in the day and it broke and tried to kill me by dropping a running chainsaw off the end of the pole directly at my FACE.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The first option seems the best/cheapest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Kombi.   Get the biggest engine.   You can get an extension pole for taller limbs.   Nice thing is it it can be weed eater.   Blower.  Edger.  Hedge trimmer tiller with small upgrades.   One engine.     I think I have just about ever attachment.   You just get them all as you need them.  

It will not replace a chain saw for a real tree.  
I have a real Stihl chain saw for that.  

Also I only run ethanol free gas in it.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the big Stihl Kombi motor and several attachments including the pole saw with extension. It’s all good stuff, been very pleased with all of the tools. Keep the chain sharp and it will work fine. The leaf blower attachment is like a tornado laser.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Ego.

It wins or is high on the list in multiple outdoor power equipment shootouts for blowers, saws, trimmers, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Makita 13' pole saw works good
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I just happen to be selling mine

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Best "Pole Saw" Chainsaw? EGO vs Milwaukee, Oregon, DeWalt, Ryobi, Worx, Craftsman, Sun Joe
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the milwaukee electric chainsaw.

It works great.  I've cut up quite a bit of mesquite with it.   Power seems about right for a 16" bar.

Don't have their polesaw but I've been thinking about getting it.  I already have the string trimmer.  Would just need to get the polesaw head for it, I think.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had a stihl gas pole saw forever. One of those tools that I need to have but probably only use it 2-3 times a year. I got tired of the damn thing not starting when I needed it. I just bought a Dewalt 20volt since I have other dewalt tools and a few batteries already. I’m actually really impressed with it so far. 8” bar, 7ft reach plus I think a 4ft extension. I see no reason to own another gas pole saw at this point.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have had a stihl gas pole saw forever. One of those tools that I need to have but probably only use it 2-3 times a year. I got tired of the damn thing not starting when I needed it. I just bought a Dewalt 20volt since I have other dewalt tools and a few batteries already. I'm actually really impressed with it so far. 8" bar, 7ft reach plus I think a 4ft extension. I see no reason to own another gas pole saw at this point.
View Quote
I've been giving  the Dewalt a workout.
It's been fantastic.

biggest cut I've made so far:

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the Milwaukee chainsaw and pole saw. Chainsaw is the shit, pole saw is heavy.

I use my Black-and-Decker pole saw most of the time, not as powerful, but is light.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a stihl kombi and an electric and id take the kombi over a stihl pole saw or the electric

The stihl pole saws are way too heavy of not a kombi

The electric is fine for very small stuff around the house or for like a deer stand prep
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Electric has really caught up with gas for 99% of household uses.  You gotta be fucking with 10+ acres to need gas.

Today I cut two trees down with my kobslt 14” 40v battery chainsaw.  No gas to mix.  No choke to fart around with.  No warm up.  Just flick iton and let it go.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Whatever you do just don’t drop a limb on your new pole saw. It’s not economic trust me lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been switching all my OPE to Ryobi 40v and I'm actually very happy with it.  The 40v battery on the pole saw seems to last forever, plus with the expandit system you can just change the head from the pole saw to the trimmer.  The only thing I have left to buy is an electric chainsaw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the EGO universe for battery operated yard tools but just today I bought a Harbor Freight electric (corded) polesaw.  For as often as I will use the tool a sale price of $49.99 was a no-brainer compared to $199 for the EGO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Electric has really caught up with gas for 99% of household uses.  You gotta be fucking with 10+ acres to need gas.

Today I cut two trees down with my kobslt 14” 40v battery chainsaw.  No gas to mix.  No choke to fart around with.  No warm up.  Just flick iton and let it go.

View Quote

I live on 35 acres. I don’t understand what anyone would use a pole saw for extensively really if your not in the landscaping or some kind of arboriculture industry. I trim trees around my yard I. The spring to mow under. Later in the summer I trim along my driveway once leaves start weighting things down hanging into my driveway. Then in the late summer I’ll trim some things along a food plot or tree stand.  Now a chainsaw on the other hand?  I bought a dewalt saw in a kit with my pole saw mainly to carry in my UTV. But I am not impressed with it nor my dads Stihl electric.  It won’t be seeing much use.  But for a normal household use I get it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I have both the 20v DeWalt pole saw and chain saw and they are awesome.

Also have the string trimmer and leaf blower.

ETA: I have all Milwaukee tools for my garage and DeWalt for my yard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an EGO chainsaw and pole saw, and both have been awesome.

For the occasional use you describe, electric has a lot of advantages.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve got the Milwaukee pole saw/weed eater/edger to go with the rest of my red tools. No complaints at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I ended up getting the DeWalt 20v polesaw. It did really well, I’m impressed with the torque and battery life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to Menards and buy the cheapest thing they have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top