Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2023 10:59:38 AM EDT
Have a DeWalt 60v chainsaw.  I use it for light work around the house, and for occasionally cutting up fallen logs on hunting trails and hunting spots.

I wonder if it is simply more efficient to replace chains when they go dull, or is sharpening a better option?

I have looked at the clamp on jigs that allow you to sharpen with a file, and now I see these cheap-o plastic clamshell sharpeners that you simply clamp on and close, and pull the trigger as the chain supposedly sharpens itself on the stone inside.  

What does GD say?  Replace blades because they’re cheap?  Does the cheap thingy work?  Or just get a sharpening jig and do it like a lumberjack?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a DeWalt 60v chainsaw.  I use it for light work around the house, and for occasionally cutting up fallen logs on hunting trails and hunting spots.

I wonder if it is simply more efficient to replace chains when they go dull, or is sharpening a better option?

I have looked at the clamp on jigs that allow you to sharpen with a file, and now I see these cheap-o plastic clamshell sharpeners that you simply clamp on and close, and pull the trigger as the chain supposedly sharpens itself on the stone inside.  

What does GD say?  Replace blades because they're cheap?  Does the cheap thingy work?  Or just get a sharpening jig and do it like a lumberjack?
View Quote
gimmicky shit doesn't work.  lumberjack that chain.

Stihl makes a tool that has things fixtured in place in such a way that it's harder to dick it up.  Or just take it to someone and pay the $25 once a year.

Stihl
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to cut a lot of wood, especially when I was doing lumber milking with the Alaskan sawmill attachment
Plus lots of firewood - when my Dad was still around he loved keeping his house hot in the winter months with the wood burner

So I have a small electric Oregon bench mounted saw chain sharpener.   I bought that after an actual sharpening shop local to me butchered my chains - my Dad took all the used ones to have them sharpen.   None were ground evenly and brand new ones had so much stock ground off.   The guy who did it had to be a junkie or really simple.  
If you only cut a little, then maybe just getting a new one is better for you.   At most you only need some hand files for the little amount you seem to cut.  Full chains just make YOU work harder and it’s less “enjoyable” when they go dull and the saw is struggling to make cuts.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
PFERD - Chain Saw Sharpener CHAIN SHARP CS-X

Pferd or Stihl sharpener takes most of the mystery out of sharpening as it handles tooth and raker at the same time.

Once a year use may be easier to just buy a chain but sharp chains cut way better so even touching up during light use is a good idea
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stihl makes a tool that has things fixtured in place in such a way that it's harder to dick it up.  Or just take it to someone and pay the $25 once a year.

Stihl
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one of those harbor freight blade sharpeners that's like a small grinder, it always seems to sharpen both sides a different length.  Don't like it
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh my god, y’all are incapable of using a file
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the sharpener posted above from Stihl the correct size for your chain. It works well and is easy to learn how to do it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stihl
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does GD say?  Replace blades because they're cheap?  Does the cheap thingy work?  Or just get a sharpening jig and do it like a lumberjack?

Stihl

don't forget to flip your bar with each sharpening.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can dull a chain in a matter of seconds. Replacing them each time is not cost effective.

Buy a decent sharpener and learn how to use it or find a saw shop that sharpens chains and have them do it.
View Quote

But he asked which is more efficient, not cost-effective.  Having spares on site and replacing chains as they dull is probably more efficient.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Stihl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stihl

Once a year??  I run a file over a chain every tank of gas.  

Get the right size file and a guide so you don’t make the teeth into a hook and sharpen it yourself.  Don’t forget to lower the rakers with a flat file every now and then.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Once a year??  I run a file over a chain every tank of gas.  

Get the right size file and a guide so you don't make the teeth into a hook and sharpen it yourself.  Don't forget to lower the rakers with a flat file every now and then.  

View Quote
This is a battery saw used occasionally. Not a 462.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I have four chains for my 500i and I just pay $10 to sharpen them when they get dull.  Kinda lazy but they come back sharp as new and apparently I need more practice on sharpening.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But he asked which is more efficient, not cost-effective.  Having spares on site and replacing chains as they dull is probably more efficient.
View Quote

No, no it’s not.  You can literally sharpen most chains with a round file (especially on that dewalt, I’ve felled many trees with one) in under a minute.  All you have to do is see how the file fits in, follow that angle, and pay attention to the shiny spot that forms to make sure it’s even

And do not buy and electric sharpener, you’ll wear through the heat treat and shorten the life of the chain.  This is literally one of the easiest parts of saw maintenance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The Granberg File-N-Joint lets you use a manual file and set the angles like you would a grinder. I have a grinder and still like to use it sometimes. Its easy to keep consistent and harder to mess up than the Stihl and Pferd combo sharpeners. Plus it teaches you how to maintain an angle with a round file. Then just hit your rakers with a flat file every once in a while.

Amazon Product
  • CHAINSAW TOOTH SHARPENER - Industry standard for sharpening all chainsaw chains. Bar-mounted sharpener/file holder to accurately sharpen teeth to the same length consistently.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have four chains for my 500i and I just pay $10 to sharpen them when they get dull.  Kinda lazy but they come back sharp as new and apparently I need more practice on sharpening.
View Quote

On a saw that large I’ll bet the teeth even have witness marks to follow for the angle

https://www.educatedclimber.com/saw-chain-maintenance/

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stihl

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

Yep, and learning to keep your chain out of the dirt & rocks is half the battle,
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Stihl
View Quote

I concur.  Those work well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I've only ever used these with great success:

These do look intriguing due to the incorporated depth gauge flat file:

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#20]
look for your chain size, it will be stamped on the sides of the chain bar...fine print, might have to look hard

Go to hardware store (or Amazon) Buy Oregon brand round file for same chain size

Go home and file chain freehand, good enuf'

Big chips and fast cut means sharp chain...wood dust means dull chain

BTW: Oregon brand makes a kit specifically for DeWalt with a non-lawyerproof (aggressive), fast cutting chain and matching 16" cutting bar

It will make your electric chainsaw do all the work while your gas powered chainsaw gathers dust and finally ends up on Facebook market or Craigslist while your tennis elbow (from jerking a damn pull cord over-and-over,-and-over and over...) heals over the winter time

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Granberg File-N-Joint lets you use a manual file and set the angles like you would a grinder. I have a grinder and still like to use it sometimes. Its easy to keep consistent and harder to mess up than the Stihl and Pferd combo sharpeners. Plus it teaches you how to maintain an angle with a round file. Then just hit your rakers with a flat file every once in a while.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZY1WG

View Quote

+1, just bought one of these.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]
If you don’t want to sharpen the chain yourself just take it to get it sharpened. It’s $10 or less.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't use mine often, the Stihl worked fine but decided to order a timberline after some reviews so we'll see how it works.

https://timberlinesharpener.com/product/timberline-sharpener/
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Stihl
View Quote

I have that. It works just fine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on how often you use it.  I sharpen mine when its starts cutting like shit.  Could be a month or 5 seconds if you hit dirt or rock.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/file-1025-649b244382338.jpeg?resize=980:*

These do look intriguing due to the incorporated depth gauge flat file:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_792452-T1/images/I/51c2lCGRyWL._AC_SX679_.jpg
View Quote

The basic stihl file is all I use.

That said you should sharpen with a file with every tank of gas. I made the mistake of not doing that when I was new to chainsaws, and my chains were so far gone filing did nothing and I had to take them to a shop to have them ground.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#27]
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMUje6I1l64lLH5_AD4XwrHQ9A-I2F1RM

Maybe link will work. Good collection of chain sharpening videos.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 3, 16" saws, and one 18". They all take the same file size, so I just buy a 10 pack of round files and do it by hand. Clamp the bar of the saw in a vise, line up the angle, and have at it. Takes me a couple of minutes per saw. If I get it far enough out of whack after several hand filings, I could get it machined sharpened. The thing is, I can get a 3-pack of Oregon advance cut chains 3 for the 16" for $30. For $10/chain, It's not worth paying to have them sharpened.

My biggest problem, is finding files that last more than 3-4 chains.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I tried one of the handheld Oregon grinders.  Still have it but just running the right size file every tank fill up works best for me.  Most chains have an angle mark to follow.  Once you do it a few times it gets easier.  Angles matter.   Unless I fuck it up bad I can usually get a lot of life out of a single chain.  

It's even more important to keep the chain as sharp as possible on an electric saw.  I don't let my DeWalt touch the ground and won't cut a dirty log with it.  I tend not to be as graceful when bucking firewood with my 372XP.

I have several spare chains for all my saws but try not to use them until my current chain has reached end of life.

Like others said don't forget the rakers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have 3, 16" saws, and one 18". They all take the same file size, so I just buy a 10 pack of round files and do it by hand. Clamp the bar of the saw in a vise, line up the angle, and have at it. Takes me a couple of minutes per saw. If I get it far enough out of whack after several hand filings, I could get it machined sharpened. The thing is, I can get a 3-pack of Oregon advance cut chains 3 for the 16" for $30. For $10/chain, It's not worth paying to have them sharpened.

My biggest problem, is finding files that last more than 3-4 chains.
View Quote

New files do suck pretty bad.  I have a few older ones I have used for years.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Stihl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stihl

This is just a rebranded PFERD sharpener at a 50% markup.

Amazon Product
  • For use on 3/8" P and 3/8" Low Profile chains
  • Compare to STIHL® 2 N 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener
  • Made in Germany

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Sharpening a chain takes about 2 minutes, even with a file. You don't need all these crazy jigs and machines to make a chain sharp enough to get work done. Yes, get a couple extra chains, but to use a chain once and throw it out is silly. Hit each tooth with a couple file strokes and every 5 or 6 touch ups hit the rakers with a couple strokes of a flat file. It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Just do it by hand and hit it with the right size rat tail file. Use the angle of the tooth to eyeball the angle. It’s very, very simple. Using a vise to clamp on the bar and hold the saw makes the job even easier.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh my god, y’all are incapable of using a file
View Quote

This. OP get a dozen files that fit. Not that hard.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#35]
YouTube, a vise, a set of chain files and maybe a marker.  That and 15mins is all you need.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

This is what I use as well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]

I use a dremel with a diamond bit. Takes about 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I use a dremel with a diamond bit. Takes about 2 minutes.
View Quote

This is the way 5/32 bit, eye ball the degree and grind away, doesn't take much to get it sharp again..
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a 'hand' file and a guide, like the Stihl one pictured in a previous post.  After many years I'm still amazed how fast and effective it is.  Just make sure you get the appropriate size file for your chain.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
look for your chain size, it will be stamped on the sides of the chain bar...fine print, might have to look hard

Go to hardware store (or Amazon) Buy Oregon brand round file for same chain size

Go home and file chain freehand, good enuf'

Big chips and fast cut means sharp chain...wood dust means dull chain

BTW: Oregon brand makes a kit specifically for DeWalt with a non-lawyerproof (aggressive), fast cutting chain and matching 16" cutting bar

It will make your electric chainsaw do all the work while your gas powered chainsaw gathers dust and finally ends up on Facebook market or Craigslist while your tennis elbow (from jerking a damn pull cord over-and-over,-and-over and over...) heals over the winter time

https://duranterentals.com/wp-content/uploads/chainsaw-2Bside.png
View Quote

I ran a 20" Oregon Bar and carbide chain on a Husky 235e. They could have written a season of I shouldn't be alive with all of the shit I cut with that little thing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
YouTube, a vise, a set of chain files and maybe a marker.  That and 15mins is all you need.
View Quote

Yeh, the marker. Mark the starting point and go to town.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I buy a three pack of chains cheap of Amazon once a year. I'm not great at sharpening but get 6 or 8 sharpening out of each before I screw them up. For the price it's not worth taking them somewhere to sharpen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Stihl
View Quote

One or two passes with this every tank and mine stays like new.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#45]
GD is AWESOME!  Thank you all!

Good to know about Oregon!
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve never successfully sharpened anything so I say replace.  If you are careful you can avoid doing dumb stuff that will dull the blade really fast.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#47]
File with a guide.

Worst case..... you have to buy a new chain.   Likely case...... you learn to file and enjoy an always sharp chain.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, and learning to keep your chain out of the dirt & rocks is half the battle,
View Quote
My saw identifies as a trencher.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Stihl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stihl

I suck at chain sharpening even with that tool.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/file-1025-649b244382338.jpeg?resize=980:*
[/url]
View Quote

Get you one of these till you learn to free hand,

I still use them to quick sharpen chain every time i fill the tank for a few refills, then i change chain so don't stretch them out too soon, so on and so forth.

When chain starts cutting funky, i'll use my bench mounted hf sharpener, it's not oregon quality, but bit of paying attention it will square the tooth angles correctly.

Ive got 8 chains for my 455 rancher for when i do some cutting on big stuff,

i got a few of the little 38cc 16" black max saws i use for limbing the big trees fell with the 455 and for felling the 12" and smaller trees, got 6 chains for them (3ea), got the saws cheap on clearance, one i got several years ago and one recently, they start and run everytime and cut well for small saws.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top