Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2021 9:19:19 PM EDT
Okay , so they accounted for the DC Capitol adventurers with their cell phones pinging off towers?  So what do we do, shove em in potato chip bags?

For academic purposes of course.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Faraday bags, or leave them at home, if one is concerned about being tracked by their phone. Snowden talked about this a lot on Joe Rogan's podcast when he was on there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Those Librem phones have physical switches on the side for turning off the WiFi and cellular. Bit niche for some, but cool still.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
These threads are always fun....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What about "flight mode" ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Faraday bags, or leave them at home, if one is concerned about being tracked by their phone. Snowden talked about this a lot on Joe Rogan's podcast when he was on there.
View Quote

Since Snowden let the cat out of the bag, I can't believe there are still people around who don't realize that their cell phones are ratting them out 24/7, and have been for about twenty five years.

First time I saw it in action, in 1994 (and this was pre-GPS) was a drug dealer who drove from New York to Maryland to kill a Maryland state trooper who had busted him on the highway.   His phone provided a breadcrumb trail all the way from his house to the trooper's house and back, just using the cell phone towers he pinged off of.

Now, today?  Forget about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about "airline mode" ?
View Quote

What about it?  It still allows the GPS to receive signals and programs could just hold onto that data until they are connected again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be curious to go into a faraday cage with a spectrum analyzer to see if it completely goes RF silent.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't want to be tracked you don't have a signal on you.

Damn, it's like nobody ever watched Forensic Files or any crime documentaries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's no pleasure journal thread but it has potential.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Double tap
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I really dont know how to make this more simple for people to understand, LEAVE YOUR PHONE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JFC people, you can actually live without for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#12]
These have been recommended on other similar threads.

Mission Dark faraday bag
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Just leave your phones at home strapped to your dog.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Since Snowden let the cat out of the bag, I can't believe there are still people around who don't realize that their cell phones are ratting them out 24/7, and have been for about twenty five years.

First time I saw it in action, in 1994 (and this was pre-GPS) was a drug dealer who drove from New York to Maryland to kill a Maryland state trooper who had busted him on the highway.   His phone provided a breadcrumb trail all the way from his house to the trooper's house and back, just using the cell phone towers he pinged off of.

Now, today?  Forget about it.
View Quote

Reminds of a hand full of years ago, trying to track down a bank robber. FBI came in to help, some scraggly bearded guy driving a mini van with one of those roof top travel cases. It housed some type of device that let him use cell towers to ping the bad guys phone with in like 300 meters.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's no pleasure journal thread but it has potential.
View Quote

I'm not faulting you for asking.  There have been a couple of these that have popped up recently.  They generally draw responses from about three kinds of people:

1- People that kinda know what they are talking about
2- People that have no clue what the fuck they are talking about (but watched a conspiracy video on youtube 7 years ago)
3- People that probably actually wear hats made out of aluminum foil (think Chuck Mcgill from Better Call Saul)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Okay , so they accounted for the DC Capitol adventurers with their cell phones pinging off towers?  So what do we do, shove em in potato chip bags?

View Quote
don't carry a phone period.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Leave your phone at home if you can. If not:

Do not trust any switch or setting to stop all transmissions.  You never know what sodtware does for sure.

Turn the phone off and place in a faraday cage.  I would not trust a flexible bag to attenuate all transmissions, even if it was advertized as a faraday cage.  I would prefer a solid highly conductive metal container with an airtight lid that is also made of a highly conductive metal.  The seal must be very tight and metal on metal.  If you cannot obtain a tight seal between the lid and the container, then use a highly conductive gasket.

If I had a phone with a removable battery, I would remove the battery and place the phone in a faraday cage, just in case there is an internal, non-removable battery that you don't know about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mission Dark faraday bag
View Quote

Daaaaaaaaam! Go be rich someplace else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
don't carry a phone period.

View Quote
After reading these threads and sittin & thinkin, this is where I'm landing.
As the case may be.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mission Dark faraday bag

It's like $23.00
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's like $23.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mission Dark faraday bag

It's like $23.00

Why's the link coming up $52 for me?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mission Dark faraday bag

It's like $23.00

I

There is a nonwindowed version for $23
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really dont know how to make this more simple for people to understand, LEAVE YOUR PHONE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JFC people, you can actually live without for awhile.
View Quote

How the fuck are you going to live stream with your phone at home?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do not trust any switch or setting to stop all transmissions.  You never know what sodtware does for sure.

Turn the phone off and place in a faraday cage.  I would not trust a flexible bag to attenuate all transmissions, even if it was advertized as a faraday cage.  I would prefer a solid highly conductive metal container with an airtight lid that is also made of a highly conductive metal.  The seal must be very tight and metal on metal.  If you cannot obtain a tight seal between the lid and the container, then use a highly conductive gasket.

If I had a phone with a removable battery, I would remove the battery and place the phone in a faraday cage, just in case there is an internal, non-removable battery that you don't know about.
View Quote
I just ordered one of these HERE. It's kinda just an experiment. I've sort of been joking about buying one for a little while after one night I was having a very benign conversation with my fiance about buying some clothes, her phone was just sitting on the table next to her. When she went to use her phone later, it was advertising to her the exact clothes I was talking about. Creepy. So I sort of jokingly said we need to put our phones in faraday cages at while home.

I'm curious to see if it works, I have my doubts about a flexible bag myself. I agree a solid box as you described would really be the way to go but this one was fairly inexpensive so I figured I'd it a try
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#25]
When you turn off an up to date phone does it still emit a signal? Can it still log anything? Can't remove batteries from most of these now phones and it would be nice to have one to use after arriving wherever.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When you turn off an up to date phone does it still emit a signal? Can it still log anything? Can't remove batteries from most of these now phones and it would be nice to have one to use after arriving wherever.
View Quote
Most Android phones are never actually off as long as there is a charge in the batteries. They can be remotely powered up as well.
Aaaaand just incase you're wondering yes the cameras and mics can be enabled and accessed remotely "even if you have disabled permissions for them" for all your apps "including" the base camera app.

The *only* way to prevent this is to alter the hardware (install hard switches) root the OS and disable the device drivers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a faraday bag come in today.  Tested it out and it works 100%....even with it right next to the router my phone is completely dark.  Might grab another
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just leave your phones at home strapped to your dog.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not just your phone but any 'Smart' device including your Apple watch, FitBit, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Couldn't it just be wrapped in Aluminum foil?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Build a Faraday cage.

Wrap your device in several layers of aluminum foil.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'd be curious to go into a faraday cage with a spectrum analyzer to see if it completely goes RF silent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it is how do you know it is not still recording gps data, and then broadcasting it once flight mode is off.  

Only way to be safe is to leave it at home.   Use a burner phone that has never been turned on in the vicinity of your primary phone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Couldn't it just be wrapped in Aluminum foil?
View Quote

This?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had a faraday bag come in today.  Tested it out and it works 100%....even with it right next to the router my phone is completely dark.  Might grab another
View Quote

May not work on bluetooth. I don't have the data but a old forensics partner has tested a "bag" he says it does not stop bluetooth. Doesn't make sense but....

And regarding simply turning it off. I just set my Pixel 4 to airplane mode, turned wifi and BT off. Shut down phone for about 4 minutes, then turned it back on.

Phone maintained the time (usually obtained from phone network) AND updated temperature reading from a stock homescreen widget. Notification bar also had an icon representing checking for voicemail on for about two seconds.

Might be limited to Google spyphones. Might mean nothing, but sure looks like there is either a secondary power source (or it's bifurcated) or some network activity happens on startup regardless of phones airplane mode status. Or it's the phone software just going through the motions and displaying last known data (except the clock).

Off, battery out and caged is best anyway.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#36]
If you're gonna be doing shit that you don't want tracker, leave your fucking phone at home.

This isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mission Dark faraday bag

It's like $23.00

Me too. Damn that hyperinflation is already kicking in!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Easy.  You leave them at home.

The antifas go to a store wearing a mask,  buy burner phones with cash,  and leave them powered off until they reach their "event".  They power them on,  use them at the event,  then power them off,  destroy them,  and throw them away before going home.

Don't take a powered on smart device to something you don't want to be "seen" at.  Especially not one that's tied to your identity in 57 ways.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Faraday bag or not. Remember, the second you open that bag, you are marked. It doesn't matter much to most folks, but if you want to go dark, go DARK.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

May not work on bluetooth. I don't have the data but a old forensics partner has tested a "bag" he says it does not stop bluetooth. Doesn't make sense but....

And regarding simply turning it off. I just set my Pixel 4 to airplane mode, turned wifi and BT off. Shut down phone for about 4 minutes, then turned it back on.

Phone maintained the time (usually obtained from phone network) AND updated temperature reading from a stock homescreen widget. Notification bar also had an icon representing checking for voicemail on for about two seconds.

Might be limited to Google spyphones. Might mean nothing, but sure looks like there is either a secondary power source (or it's bifurcated) or some network activity happens on startup regardless of phones airplane mode status. Or it's the phone software just going through the motions and displaying last known data (except the clock).

View Quote

It has blocked off everything...wifi, cell service and bluetooth
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Most Android phones are never actually off as long as there is a charge in the batteries. They can be remotely powered up as well.
Aaaaand just incase you're wondering yes the cameras and mics can be enabled and accessed remotely "even if you have disabled permissions for them" for all your apps "including" the base camera app.

The *only* way to prevent this is to alter the hardware (install hard switches) root the OS and disable the device drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove the battery?

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd have to do your test inside of a Faraday cage to exclude all of the outside signals that you might pickup.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

People will tell you yes, but fail to cite anything of value. It’s been demonstrated that a phone that’s had malware installed can be shown to track while appearing off. I have yet to have anyone provide evidence that this is possible with a virgin non-compromised phone (iPhone).

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone curious as to why Antifa turds who were arrested had burners with nothing on them and important numbers written on their arms?

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are metal tapes that you can use to seal up the cracks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of the phones that you could remove the battery also had a 2ndary battery that kept things like the clock running, as well as who knows what else.  A phone turned off still has a small amount of activity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On Most Modern electronics, the clock will still be drawing a small amount of power from the main battery and the circuits to turn on the device will draw a small amount of current. There might also be a capacitor or other small power source to keep the clock going for when the battery is out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone curious as to why Antifa turds who were arrested had burners with nothing on them and important numbers written on their arms?

View Quote

IIRC, the numbers on the arms of AntiFa were the numbers of lawyers that would help them if arrested. The lawyers didn't care if they were outed because they would have to go to the jail to bail out the AntiFa. What should have been done was to trace the activities of those lawyers to find the money people behind AntiFa.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

IIRC, the numbers on the arms of AntiFa were the numbers of lawyers that would help them if arrested. The lawyers didn't care if they were outed because they would have to go to the jail to bail out the AntiFa. What should have been done was to trace the activities of those lawyers to find the money people behind AntiFa.
View Quote

The important part is that the phones had never been turned on outside that time and that place. You can't build a timeline on it.

A few hours ago I was browsing a map of the Capitol based on videos posted to Parler where they're tying accounts to people to times and places. Not just the poster but everyone in the video.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have done experiments with 30 cal ammo cans and they block everything. Can't call in, can't call out. Nothing. I keep my amateur handsets, chargers, and such in one to protect from EMP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top