Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2023 4:07:44 PM EDT
I have a bit of a cat/neighbor situation going on.  Any have experience with cat deterrents?  Water sprayer?  Spray deterrents (which I'm skeptical of)?

Havahart used to make a hose free motion detection water sprayer that looked ideal but appears its no longer made. I don't think hose hook up will be an option.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Big dog?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj] [#2]
Friendly*

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Have you tried this?  We tried a spray once that did nothing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife's cats hate the smell of menthol. She saved our Christmas tree last year by placing some Salonpas patches all along the bottom branches.
Looked like hell but the tree was safe!
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
They also don't like the smell of vinegar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Suppressed.22
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
BB gun
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Golden Malrin
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
I have a bit of a cat/neighbor situation going on.  Any have experience with cat deterrents?  Water sprayer?  Spray deterrents (which I'm skeptical of)?

Havahart used to make a hose free motion detection water sprayer that looked ideal but appears its no longer made. I don't think hose hook up will be an option.
View Quote

I have alot of strays where I live, and one kept pissing on my sliding glass door. I can tell you the best two options:
A pellet gun or a life trap and release somewhere a good distance. The sprays either dont last or wash away.
Coyote urine might be an option.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

The right solution is a .22 pellet gun or suppressed .22, though this is not legal UNLESS it is attacking you, your pet, damaging crops, ect. They are considered domestic and are now federal. Wildlife officers have zero jurisdiction it’s all about your local animal control.

Go try and inform your neighbor how domestic cats are the most destructive invasive species and you will get animal control involved. If your local animal control officer is worth a shit they’ll fine the fuck out of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Bunch of psychos in here.  I ask about a deterrent and use water spray as an example and people think a pet cat should just be shot? In a pet forum?  Baseless fantasies that it's attacking people or destroying crops?  Some sick fucks hanging around here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 4:38:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#13]
I’ve always found that small dogs like chihuahuas, Yorkies, bichon frise, etc, bother cats more than big dogs do.

Maybe airsoft will be painful enough to make it stay away without hurting it. Most animal control officers I’ve dealt with weren’t worth shit. I’d talk to the neighbor, find if there are penalties for letting cats roam, and get plenty of game cam footage.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Bunch of psychos in here.  I ask about a deterrent and use water spray as an example and people think a pet cat should just be shot? In a pet forum?  Baseless fantasies that it's attacking people or destroying crops?  Some sick fucks hanging around here.
View Quote
You've been here since 2009. This is Arfcom, where dipshits will suggest shooting every cat on sight, while at the same time bloviating that they'll shoot anyone who harms their dogs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
You've been here since 2009. This is Arfcom, where dipshits will suggest shooting every cat on sight, while at the same time bloviating that they'll shoot anyone who harms their dogs.
View Quote

You ain't kidding.  Sick fuckers, people who kill domestic pets tend to pop high on the idiot/psycho spectrum. I guess that's why I posted in Pet forum, thought the rules here were a little less GD.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StillGonnaSendIt] [#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

“Pet cats” do not belong outside. They are currently the single most destructive invasive species right now. They kill (for fun) 2.5-4 billion native birds in the states alone, with 10 going extinct. Domestic cats hunt for fun and this is not counting the reptiles and amphibians. I literally gave you the conservation and environmentalist answer and you believe it’s the reply to a psycho?  Jesus fuck.  Australia and New Zealand get a lot of shit right but the hunting of feral (domestic) cats is right.

You ain't kidding.  Sick fuckers, people who kill domestic pets tend to pop high on the idiot/psycho spectrum. I guess that's why I posted in Pet forum, thought the rules here were a little less GD.

People who defend the cats and don’t give a shit about the destruction they cause are the psychopaths. Derp fucking derp.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
I’ve always found that small dogs like chihuahuas, Yorkies, bichon frise, etc, bother cats more than big dogs do.

Maybe airsoft will be painful enough to make it stay away without hurting it. Most animal control officers I’ve dealt with weren’t worth shit. I’d talk to the neighbor, find if there are penalties for letting cats roam, and get plenty of game cam footage.
View Quote

Thanks, dont want to hurt anything just deter from one front porch is all.  I'm not interested in stopping cats from roaming, as much as many hate it that's kinda what cats do.  There just not the same as dogs.

And in case it didnt come across, I dont dislike cats OR dogs nor do I want any of them harmed unless someone is being potentially hurt which is not the case here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
well have fun living in your a****** neighbors litter box
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

“Pet cats” do not belong outside. They are currently the single most destructive invasive species right now. They kill (for fun) 2.5-4 billion native birds in the states alone, with 10 going extinct. Domestic cats hunt for fun and this is not counting the reptiles and amphibians. I literally gave you the conservation and environmentalist answer and you believe it’s the reply to a psycho?  Jesus fuck.  Australia and New Zealand get a lot of shit right but the hunting of feral (domestic) cats is right.

People who defend the cats and don’t give a shit about the destruction they cause are the psychopaths. Derp fucking derp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Is it an area where you could put up one of the electric fences that run off of D size batteries? I used one of those once and they aren't going to hurt an animal, but will get their attention.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Is it an area where you could put up one of the electric fences that run off of D size batteries? I used one of those once and they aren't going to hurt an animal, but will get their attention.
View Quote

Link??
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Utah_88:

Link??
View Quote

I don't remember where I got mine, it's been 15 years since I used it. I think it came from Petsmart, but not sure. I'll see if Amazon sells them later.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Utah_88:
well have fun living in your a****** neighbors litter box
View Quote

did I say cat shit was the problem?  Where did I say that?  Show me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I looked on Amazon, and really the best thing I can say is check and see if there is something that would work for you. If you have a Petsmart near you it would be worth a stop to see what they have. There are all kinds of choices. Hope you are able to find something that works for you, and kudos to you for not wanting to kill every cat you see.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#25]
What I can say is  ~ What doesn't work~  

Coyote urine doesn't work without the 'yote'.    Yep.. Cats don't care unless there is a bigger asshole in the same area.  Spraying coyote urine from Academy doesn't clue the cat in until there is a coyote taking one or all of the feral kittens.  Then all of the sudden it make sense to them.

Sulfur is good for snakes, but not cats...

Animal control told me they have those 'Have-a-hart' traps, but they won't deploy them and I would be welcome to purchase one at the hardware store if I had cat issues..   So I have to fix this problem on my own....

What can fix the cat problem is to tell the neighbors to quit feeding feral cats..  Everyone here in the subdivision does a good job on lawn care, so there isn't field mice, bugs, and small animals for the cats to kill.  So don't feed them and they would go where the food is.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top