Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2020 5:04:36 PM EDT
Good afternoon,
I thought I would post this here because I feel biking expertise is more salient than concealed carry advice.  

I typically carry appendix, but am comfortable with normal hip carry.  I would like to hear from those of you that carry while riding, what is most practical.  I am thinking of a small chest rig, something that will fit a G19/ G26.  The appendix works ok, but has limitations.  I normally wear workout shorts and wearing a belt with that isn't great.

This would be for recreational biking, mostly on road and commuting.... not MB trails or anything too intense.  I live in an area where robberies/ carjacking type stuff isn't uncommon and I've carried daily for a couple decades now.

I was thinking of the chest rig only because I would like to keep the gun on my person and not in the frame bag.  I think being separated from my bike as being a concern here.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
AR on a two point sling
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Mouse gun in jersey pocket?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mouse gun in jersey pocket?
View Quote

I never carry on the trail or anywhere on the bike anymore.When road biking years ago in S. Florida I sometimes carried a small 380 in a sticky pocket holster between my shorts liner and my skin or in a jersey pocket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry OWB with a level 1 retention holster. Oddly, the only comments people have given me is when they notice my spare mag.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
On a bicycle, it seems like belt carry is out, so that pretty much leaves you with a fanny pack, shoulder holster, or ankle holster.  Because of pedaling, I think ankle holster would be out, so I would go with a shoulder rig.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Look into Hill People Gear.

Their Kit Bag is exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On a bicycle, it seems like belt carry is out, so that pretty much leaves you with a fanny pack, shoulder holster, or ankle holster.  Because of pedaling, I think ankle holster would be out, so I would go with a shoulder rig.
View Quote

Belt carry is in. LAPG Nomad shorts with spandex under.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a G43 and 1 reload in a 5.11 Tactical Select Carry Pistol pouch, otherwise known as a fanny pack.  It has elastic straps to keep your pistol and mag in place, very secure while riding, I've taken it on many trail rides.  I don't think you can stuff a G19 in it but the G26 will definitely work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, will take a look at these.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what i use when i'm way out on my own or riding alone at night...  I use it once a week or so for night rides and have put some long rides in with it also.  Shield 9mm in their Stubby Kit Bag.  Works great under a riding pack or by itself.  Car key, ID, credit card, and Shield.  Helmet and bike lights if i'm anywhere close to "dark".  

Think about how you would fall and where you would land.  The only place relatively safe and quick to access is, I think, on the chest.  Backpack carry is impossible to get to easily.  Hip carry would be brutal in a fall.  Appendix is out of the question.  Small of Back would rub horribly and i don't think it'd be stable.  

I used a trigger guard kydex "holster" tied with paracord to the inside of the kit bag.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hill people gear bag x3!

When on road I stopped carrying, cars are my main threat and I just couldn’t get comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I need to get some new shorts that have zippers on the pockets. I carry an Iphone 8+ in my LF pocket so I could definitely carry a mouse gun in my RF if my shorts zipped up.

Other than that I usually just carry in a small pack or fanny pack.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
AR on a two point sling
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I need to get some new shorts that have zippers on the pockets. I carry an Iphone 8+ in my LF pocket so I could definitely carry a mouse gun in my RF if my shorts zipped up.

Other than that I usually just carry in a small pack or fanny pack.
View Quote

My MTB shorts have zippered pockets!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Try that on a mountain bike. Then when ducking a limb the barrel catches it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#16]
HPG kit bag. No molle and people just assume I’m carrying bike tools. With molle, just hang a mini pump on the front.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Thats funny.
There used to be a dude who showed up for road bike rides (yes I used to train on pavement) he carried a 6" stainless. 44 mag on his shoulder blade. It was clearly visible from behind. We got lots of respect from motorists.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
LCP, pocket holster, shorts, pants pocket.
Unless you need to wear spandex it’s a pretty good option. I’ve ridden thousands of miles like that. If you need spandex I guess you could put it in a jersey pocket.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. Get one of the more discreet models without all the molle, like the Runners and no one looks twice at it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Why not a small tool bag attached to the bike?
More comfortable than wearing it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks All for the suggestions.  I picked up a Hill People knock off for cheap.  If it works ok, I'll splurge for the Hill People's (Person's).

My thoughts are keeping it on my person are better if, for whatever reason, I am separated from my bike.

The AR would be great, but probably wouldn't fly in downtown DC... LOL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
G26 in my Osprey hip pack.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Riding with the kids, I just have whatever IWB holster I normally carry.

Yesterday was a USP45 in a Galco summer comfort.

If I want more retention, switch back to a 1911 in a tanker holster.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Brightly colored fanny pack with a Ruger LCR
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I wear a Glock 19 in a Gunfighters Inc Kenai under my t-shirt. Kinda sticks out but isn’t obvious to people passing you on the street.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a complete amateur who now somehow feels vindicated.  This is my setup.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#27]
The chest rig set up has been working fine.  G-26 and 2 spare mags.  ID and CC and a can of Velo.. LOL.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyone knows a compound bow and quiver across your back is the only way to go on a road bike. Extra points for a massive Bowie knife on your hip.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Katana on your back and a pocket full of ninja stars is another viable option.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Kenai Chest rig?

I've worn mine on multi-day, multi-thousand mile motorcycle trips.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Glock 42 in a vedder pocket locker in my jersey pocket.  

If mountain biking, it goes in the Fanny pack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top