Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2023 5:22:07 AM EDT
First off, on week 3 of carnivore. Enjoying the shit out of it. Never been much of a fan of fruit/veg. Sugar and carb addict. Went thru water weight drop and then losing actual weight (295 to 274). Gave up sugar and carbs the same way I got sober: I quit consuming them.

Anyhow, it's been steady beef, venison, and a little bit of pork the duration of the last three weeks. Decent spaced bowel movements. Really enjoying it. Wife grills chicken weekly for her meal planning so I had her make a couple for me.

Here's the problem

It feels like concrete in my guts and I'm bloated.

Anybody else gone through this with chicken or other meats?

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of the chicken, and what is she preparing it with? Could be a spice or seasoning causing it.

I'm one of those odd people that doesn't really like chicken breast much because of the lack of fat in it.

I cook up a few chickens every week over a fire, but always marinate them first, and I like to buy whole cut up chicken if available so I can cook everything at the correct rate.

Plain chicken breast to me just doesn't go down as well. I want skin and fat.....keeps the system lubed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Is she just making chicken breasts? Those can get dry, esp when you reheat them for meal prep.

Maybe try thighs or drumsticks.

Ground turkey or chicken is a good option either for burgers or mixing with other foods.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Just chicken breast. I prefer thighs ()

Gotta head into town so I'll swing by the super market and see what they have different cuts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Weird. Chicken is easier to digest than beef for me. Maybe you're not getting enough fiber when you eat the chx?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By anono:
Weird. Chicken is easier to digest than beef for me. Maybe you're not getting enough fiber when you eat the chx?
View Quote

Doing Carnivore I wouldn't be surprised if a lack of fiber was the problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]
This was my experience with similar diet. Bloated rock gut feeling except for first thing in the morning before eating. My only solution was to introduce good greens as a digestive aid and to add fiber. Keeping your gut biome in check with probiotics helps as well. Are you supplementing any vitamins?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this problem only since you started carnivore, or was it there before?

In my instance, I had what amounted to an allergic reaction to eating birds (any birds, or anything containing bird proteins) for many years before cutting out grains, and after some weeks with zero grains that issue completely went away.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I too prefer thighs and drumsticks...more fat in the meat so it has more moisture.

Bone in thighs make really good left-overs because they aren't as dry as breast meat.

Some of my favorite marinades:

Lime juice and hot sauce.

Ginger and sweet/sour sauce

Apple cider vinegar/garlic/ginger/scallions

Hoisin sauce and ginger with a touch of hot sauce
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#9]
I love chicken, but now have a problem with it...

30 minutes or so after eating chicken, I start feeling flushed. Anyone that has even had Niacin knows what I'm talking about. It isn't bad and only lasts for 15 minutes or so.

It started happening 6 months or so after I had a heart attack 10 years ago. Thinking it might be from the meds I started taking, I mentioned it to my doc. She looked into it and can't find any reason for it to be happening, other than I've maybe developed a mild allergy to chicken.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Need more greens for fiber and drink lots more water
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoomToob:
This was my experience with similar diet. Bloated rock gut feeling except for first thing in the morning before eating. My only solution was to introduce good greens as a digestive aid and to add fiber. Keeping your gut biome in check with probiotics helps as well. Are you supplementing any vitamins?
View Quote

No supplements. I take regular shits eating beef/bison/venison/pork. I only planned to have chicken as a filler for days when either I'm wanting something different or if I had a high cal feast previously.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Try apple cider vinegar for a couple weeks.

I used to feel bloated and distended all the time. Now my bowel movement are like clockwork- 3 times a day. So I never have that full belly feeling for too long.

I take about a tablespoon with a large glass of water 3x a day when I eat. Might take about a week or so for it to kick in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top