Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting brake 86, FTW!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Hilux Surf looks interesting
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
This makes me miss hearing the LFA of the late owner of one of the Toyota dealerships here.

Also the 86 derivatives are proof we haven't nuked Japan enough.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
MMMMMM, Toyota 2000 GT. So sweet!

I'll take the FJ also.

Some really nice stuff there, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Those little Civics were cool little cars

Air-cooled engines iirc
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy crap!  How does one post that many photos at once?  But lots of beautiful cars & thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
They have a bit of everything
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooting brake 86, FTW!
View Quote

First thing I noticed. Want!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Would love to see the Tucker in person
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice job posting OP.

I feel like I have visited the museum!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The Previa is a masterpiece @Kanati

The Delica, Sambar, Bongo and LightAce 4x4 are awesomely quirky. The HiAce is just what gets shit done many places.

It's a great museum, great photos. The 117 and the Fairlady are my thing. I also dig Tatra - that 87 If you can get to the Kaikan museum and tour it's ok (for most people, cool as shit for production nerds) but definitely make time to get to Sakichi Toyoda's House since you're close by.  It's not much to see but the reverence is worth observing.

THX for taking the time - that was an effort and appreciated. Hope your dog is doing better and your trip goes well.

Was there anything special going on? The 25th Anniversary Exhibit "Chain Reaction" with guest speakers was damn cool. Shit it's been a decade

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Really cool.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
lol, The Previa.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hilux Surf looks interesting
View Quote
Gen 1 Surf.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
That Ur-Quattro.........
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Amazing museum.

Didn't see any WW2 stuff there.  Mitsubishi made tanks and airplanes.  Toyota was around in 1937.   They must have made something.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
That's the 2000GT that Jay Leno drove. Toyota Museum wouldn't let Jay drive it out of the parking lot.

Porsche wouldn't be around without Toyota and their TPS.

Sweet pics!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit on the Bugatti’s…!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amazing museum.

Didn't see any WW2 stuff there.  Mitsubishi made tanks and airplanes.  Toyota was around in 1937.   They must have made something.
View Quote

Many trucks - HB, KB, KC, amphib Su Ki, Very few survived.

Although it's not verboten as the Panzers, Adolf Rosenberger or Ferry Porsche's SS rank is at Zuffenhausen, it is somewhat glossed over, tho acknowledged.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Both the 86 convertible and shooting brake belong right where they are. In a museum, not being produced.

Cool pictures though, thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Please stop. I can only get so erect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
This is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Toyoboner.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Neat! Thanks for sharing.

I only see one rotary . Surely they had an FD RX-7 somewhere?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I only see one rotary . Surely they had an FD RX-7 somewhere?
View Quote
When I was at the port picking up my Hilux a couple months ago there was a gorgeous FD RX7 that came in on the same RORO.  It was perfect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#27]
No. No Supra either.
There was supposed to be a special convertible display outside but it was spotty raining
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have 2 things to say...

1) the 90s Acura NSX is still a sexy beast
2)fuck the EPA or whatever govt entity that bans cars/trucks from import until they are old.
View Quote

You can thank Mercedes for #2.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Holy crap!  How does one post that many photos at once?  But lots of beautiful cars & thanks.
View Quote

On a laptop use post image.org. Drag all your pics (247) on the upload square.  Wait for upload.  Select “for image board or forum”. Copy the URLs. paste on your ARFCOM post.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shooting brake 86, FTW!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I may share the title @dude with Landcuiser now.

In any case, you had me at LFA.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Amazing collection!

I'm trying to sell the family on a trip to Japan for many reasons, but the cars and the scenes are one of my big reasons to want to go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Today OP was a cool dude! ????
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Amazing collection!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Very cool. My father in law said Toyota copied Chevy for their start. I never understood exactly what he meant. That AA is the spitting image of his old Town Sedan. His wife saw it on a car lot and mistakenly thought it was the exact car he learned to drive. Turns out no, it didn't have the hole his brother shot into the fender as kids. We had to get rid of the car but I still have the .22.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#36]
The sign out front only says "Toyota Museum" (??????) so I was expecting it would only be Toyotas... Very surprized to be wrong on that.

I may have to take my youngest down to Nagoya and spend a day or two there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Very cool. My father in law said Toyota copied Chevy for their start. I never understood exactly what he meant. That AA is the spitting image of his old Town Sedan. His wife saw it on a car lot and mistakenly thought it was the exact car he learned to drive. Turns out no, it didn't have the hole his brother shot into the fender as kids. We had to get rid of the car but I still have the .22.

View Quote

The exhibits said they copied everything they could but had to do a lot of trial and error to make a production car
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#40]
The minivan you ended with I think is mid engined rear wheel drive oddity.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shooting brake 86, FTW!
View Quote

Shit, you're right. I thought that was a version of the GR Corolla or something. I'd trade mine for that.

That convertible though.

Cool pics, OP. Those old GT-Rs look like buckets of fun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Amazing pics!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#43]
The 1936 AA looked really cool.

Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:56:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The exhibits said they copied everything they could but had to do a lot of trial and error to make a production car
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at a stovebolt chevy straight 6 engine and then look at a FJ F straight 6 engine. Not much difference at all.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
MMMMMM, Toyota 2000 GT. So sweet!
View Quote
Possibly sexiest car ever.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That Ur-Quattro.........
View Quote

Hell yes!
I had a non-quattro 1985 GT Coupe, White with gray leather. My favorite car ever, super smooth 5 cylinder, 5 speed. Never should have sold it. Sold it to another officer from my ship when I PCSed overseas. He later told me it got totalled when a drunk driver plowed into it on the shoulder of the highway. I was crushed.
I was surprised to see how many of those cars I have owned or driven in the past like that Hilux Surf (4runner), had a sweet 1987 model. That Celica, OG Rabbit, Civic...
Thanks for the memories!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for that.   That seems to be worth a trip to Japan alone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Look at a stovebolt chevy straight 6 engine and then look at a FJ F straight 6 engine. Not much difference at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A and improved B engines were heavily borrowed from Chevy's early Stovebolt design. C was a I4 derived from B.

D and E were prototypes never produced - D evolution of the B and E a 2S - copy of DKW's Reichklasse engine from an example Kazuo Kumabe (a Uni professor) imported to Shibura Technical Laboratory (est. by Kiichiro) then disassembled and studied as the base for a new Toyoda design, the EA. Which never progressed past prototype production, but was mostly a copy of the DKW F7. Eiji Toyoda was responsible for Powertrain dev, Ikenaga the chassis. There's much irony here

F was the postwar evolution of the pre war copies. There's mixed claims of licensing - Bob Hall claimed "borrowing". I've never seen any proof of licensing, and Toyoda official history omits any mention as Kiichiro studied the Chevy engines and Ford frames he'd use to base his nascent production on. He decided on common parts so customers would have broad access to replacement from both, as they were prominent mfgs in Japan at the time. How they reverse engineered Chevy transmission tech was ingenuous. They had to develop not only the design competency, but source and master, and eventually mfg the machine tools (still a biz), develop the steel and alloys, establish production methods - they built every facet from the ground up - not merely the vehicles. Sakichi's loom development and the base technology in weaving machinery Toyoda had established prepared a path, but looms were not cars.

But generally, much of what has been derided in China, including blatant product copying, was a tenet of pre-war Japanese industry.  This dependence on western "borrowing" was acknowledged and lamented by Kiichiro Toyoda - his motivation for Shibaura Lab was to create competency for local design to be placed into production. Hence the irony, tho the EA was never placed into production, nor the derived RWD EB.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

At the time of Jay Leno's visit no AA (of the approx. 1400 produced) were believed to have survived. The one at the Toyota Museum is a hand built replica, the story is in this vid

1936 Toyota AA Replica - Jay Leno's Garage

Around Jays visit, he mentions as an aside, an AA was discovered in Russia. It's at the Louwman Museum, owned by the guy who established the Official Toyota and later Lexus Distributorship in Netherlands.  

Toyota does a lot of cool historical veneration - Sakichi's home museum, the preservation of a pre-war Komatsu press sent to Sao Bernardo plant in Brazil from the Koromo/Honsha facility when Brazil opened, the museums mentioned here that preserve a wide swath of automotive history not just Toyota, Kuragaike Hall (Loom and Auto Tech and Kiichiro home nearby), the Fuji Motorports Museum. Much neat stuff, but they have the cheddar to make it happen.

Story of Sao Bernardo closing and the press. https://toyotatimes.jp/en/newscast/050.html  There was a couple threads on this here.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#50]
@Stutzmech

Not sure if you saw this.  Thought of you when I saw half this stuff
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top