Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 9:16:00 PM EDT
I just noticed it tonight. I walked outside and heard a fan.

My car has 2 rad fans. One was off and the other was running.

Bad relay?
Bad fan?
???

I have to finish a paper tonight so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: paper finished and turned in in time. Deep breath.

I unplugged the bad fan, I will test the car tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
How long since you used the car?

Also what year make model?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Modern turbocharger cars will run fans to ensure proper cooldown.

If it’s running when cold?   I’d unhook the battery till I could get it sorted out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
my 1980's Land Cruisers do that.

after you turn it off a seperate fan will run for up to 20 mins. In this case its  a "carb cooling fan" that blows air on the carb (thru a fender vent) to help with vacuum lock due to the emission crap that was added to a 1950's designed tractor motor to meet EPA in the 80's

I don't know jack past the year 2000....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Typically

High speed fan runs when car is VERY hot, or A/C is switched on.   It shuts off when ignition goes off.

Low Speed (regular fan) runs when car is warmed up and will run afterwards for a limited amount of time after the ingnition shut off until temperature is below it's threshold.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long since you used the car?

Also what year make model?
View Quote

2013 Volvo XC60.

No turbo.

First time seeing this on an 8 year old car.

Battery is disconnected.

No cooling relay on the car.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The only car I've ever had that the fan stayed on after turning off the ignition.
Was broken.
IT Needed a new fan control.
VW

As i recall i actually changed the fans and all as it came as one piece. It was like $150 for the part and was easy to change.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the fan.

Quick fix, disconnect stupid big fan.

Could I still drive it tomorrow?

Car runs fine but I do not need the battery dying while at work.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Cadillacs sense the 90s do that. There are several reasons, I forget them, but its easy to find.

They have a battery monitor to make sure they dont drain it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Has it done it before or is the car new to you?  If it's a new thing after years, that little black box over the big fan has probably crapped the bed and you're looking at a new fan assembly.  I don't know much about that model so I don't know if it has a cool down function, but it's possible.

ETA poked around google a bit.  Your fan controller is cooked.  Most of the posts were old and said you had to replace the fan assembly to get the controller/relay that is fixed behind the larger fan.  That may have changed in recent years but I highly doubt it's supposed to keep running.  It would be nice to be able to replace that controller/relay set because that's really all that's wrong with the part so check with your parts house and see if it's available.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has it done it before or is the car new to you?  If it's a new thing after years, that little black box over the big fan has probably crapped the bed and you're looking at a new fan assembly.  I don't know much about that model so I don't know if it has a cool down function, but it's possible.

ETA poked around google a bit.  Your fan controller is cooked.  Most of the posts were old and said you had to replace the fan assembly to get the controller/relay that is fixed behind the larger fan.  That may have changed in recent years but I highly doubt it's supposed to keep running.  It would be nice to be able to replace that controller/relay set because that's really all that's wrong with the part so check with your parts house and see if it's available.
View Quote

@bloodsport2885

Thanks. I did some research and I came to the same conclusion. New fan assembly will be here on Friday. I cannot get a separate controller, its part of the fan. Stupid design.

For now, I disconnected the bad fan. I reattached the battery and smaller fan did not come on. Hell it might not ever come on but at least it wont drain the battery.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
How long did the fan run AFTER the vehicle was shut off.  

It is not uncommon for the low speed fan to run for a few minutes after shutdown, but anything more than 3-5 minutes is definitely SOMETHING WRONG territory.

Good Luck  (Fellow Volvo Owner!)

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
All you need is a stand-alone fan controller and a relay to ensure it only runs the fan while the car is running. Less than $100, total.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-30332

Edit: Come to think of it, you could probably get by with just a relay. The fan clearly works, so you just need a way to kill it when you shut the car off.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How long did the fan run AFTER the vehicle was shut off.  

It is not uncommon for the low speed fan to run for a few minutes after shutdown, but anything more than 3-5 minutes is definitely SOMETHING WRONG territory.

Good Luck  (Fellow Volvo Owner!)

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

At least 20 minutes. I brought the trash out and found it. I thought, WTF.

Never happened before.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All you need is a stand-alone fan controller and a relay to ensure it only runs the fan while the car is running. Less than $100, total.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-30332
View Quote

@Stasher1

That would be nice to have but my volvo has been trouble free so I am not changing anything. $250 for a OEM fan assembly. That was a cheap price compared to others, almost $400.

By the way, edit your link to get rid of the google click id (gclid) as I did.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate to say this, but I've gotten some great savings off Rock Auto for my Volvo parts.

The Volvo Dealerships are a rape in every sense of the word.   When I needed an Alternator, they told me a week @$750 .   Rock Auto was 3 days for $250 for the same alternator (Bosch).

If you haven't checked them out - give it a shot.

Cooling Fan Controller is $30.79   https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volvo,2013,xc60,3.2l+l6,1505579,cooling+system,cooling+fan+controller,2180

Replacement should be a quick & easy job, even in a tight engine bay.

Entire Cooling Fan (looks like it might have your module attached?)  2013 Volvo XC-60 Non-Turbo Dual Fan Cooling Fan - LINK

Good Luck fellow Volvo Enthusiast!

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't drive it with the fan disconnected. Plug it back in, drive and unplug if you have to.

Assuming you hadn't just parked the car hot and it was running for a reason?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't drive it with the fan disconnected. Plug it back in, drive and unplug if you have to.

Assuming you hadn't just parked the car hot and it was running for a reason?
View Quote

I just checked the temps in Rwanda... he should be ok for the next few days, and no long drives.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Normal in many vehicles since about 1985.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
would help if the op has information about what the damn vehicle was!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
would help if the op has information about what the damn vehicle was!
View Quote

@AliasSLH

Reading the entire thread is important.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife's 07 Honda Pilot was doing this.  Checked the relay, and it was fine.  I noticed some coolant leaking near the thermostat.  Threw a new thermostat and gasket in it, then realized the coolant level was at about 50%.....  Filled it up and the fan problem was solved.  Who knew being a friggin gallon low would cause the engine to run so hot that the fans never wanted to turn off
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@AliasSLH

Reading the entire thread is important.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Old rad fan wont come out unless I remove the upper rad hose and I am not doing that, now.

Car is old enough where the hose may not come off in one piece. Nothing is available in my lo cal so I have to wait until Monday to work on it.

Oddly enough, even with the one bad fan disconnected, the car never alerted me to overheating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top