Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2024 4:26:29 AM EDT
I know financing cars is for poors but I need an adult to tell me the best option here.

I need a bigger vehicle for the family. Current vehicle owe $17k with about $25k trade in value. I have the cash laying around to pay off the old vehicle or put it towards the new vehicle.

Which will save more money in the long term? Is there a real difference between either option? I’m assuming the interest rate of new vehicle will be a lot higher than current vehicle but to me it seems like it’s really the same difference whether I spend $17k to pay off old car then trade it in or trade in as is and bring $17k cash to the dealership for new vehicle.

Halp!
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

You really don't want to roll negative equity into a new loan, especially at a higher interest rate.

Good luck.
View Quote
He owes $17k and the vehicle is worth $25k
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#3]
i don't think it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd probably just finance it and then figure out what to do with the money you have. Guess it depends on the interest rate the manufacturer is offering.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:13:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zer0t] [#6]
just being money to dealer.  It’s exactly the same as paying it off only they are going to do the work.  You’ll sign that they can receive the title in their name and that’s it.  Paying off car and waiting for title is pain in the butt.

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Edit cause too early and the coffee hasn't kicked in.  (if you live in a state with sales tax) the amount of tax paid.

Many states that have sales tax subtract the trade equity from the purchase price when calculating sales tax.
View Quote
-

This if your state gives tax credit for trade.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the current and expected interest rate?

Probably 0% if you bought it a few years ago and 5.5% if you have good credit. If so you are commuting the loan to a much higher rate.

Personally I'd get by with the smaller vehicle until the current one is paid off or interest rates subside.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's assume the new vehicle is $60,000, and ignore fees for simplicity since they will be the same:

You have a vehicle worth 25k with a 17k loan.
You also have 17k in cash.

Option 1:  Pay off vehicle.  Trade in vehicle with no loan.  You get 25k for the trade, reducing the taxable sale price of the new vehicle to $35k.  You have a new loan balance of $35,000 at your new interest rate.

Option 2:  Trade in vehicle with loan.  You get 25k for the trade, reducing the taxable sale price of the new vehicle to $35k.  Dealer pays off the loan on the trade, and you put the 17k cash as additional down payment.  You have a new loan balance of $35,000 at your new interest rate.

Option 3:  Trade in vehicle with loan.  You get 25k for the trade, reducing the taxable sale price of the new vehicle to $35k.  Dealer pays off the loan on the trade, and you have a new loan balance of $52,000 at your new interest rate.  You still have 17k in cash, but you financed more at the new rate.

Option 1 and 2 are the same net effect.  There is no benefit for you to pay off the vehicle yourself first.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
This.

Purchase price reduced by equity in trade = you save sales tax.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By hammer1995: This if your state gives tax credit for trade.
This.

Purchase price reduced by equity in trade = you save sales tax.

In Texas, the trade value for reducing sales tax with a trade-in is not based on equity, but the trade value of the vehicle alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top