Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2020 12:11:44 PM EDT
Looking to possibly make some youtube vids and I'm looking at a good camera for it.  Seems like a GoPro would be cheap but yield a fisheye/less quality result.

But I see $500 kitsch on Ebay for the Cannon and they seem like a better option.

I have no experience with either.  Please suggest a model or aspects to consider when camera shopping.

If it helps.... vids will be shot indoors.  Camera will be set on a tripod fir the most part.  Lighting will range from low light to led bulbs/lamps to sunlight.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
A DSLR will be a lot more ergonomic. Use a GoPro for what it is: an action camera.

Put an external mic on the DSLR and you'll have a nice setup for video.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A DSLR will be a lot more ergonomic. Use a GoPro for what it is: an action camera.

View Quote

I referenced the Canon EOS  and accessory bundle on Ebay....is that the route to go or are there better options?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
B&H Photo.

Canon has several kits for what you are wanting to do, I'm sure all brands do.

ETA: I would think that mic input as mentioned above and a screen that flips to face you would be minimum needs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
B&H Photo.

Canon has several kits for what you are wanting to do, I'm sure all brands do.

ETA: I would think that mic input as mentioned above and a screen that flips to face you would be minimum needs.
View Quote

B&H....something I should google?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

B&H....something I should google?

Thanks
View Quote

Yes. They are a trusted source for photo gear.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both.

The go pro for more action, or cool shots from small spaces.

Dslr or mirrorless cam for better video.

I have a canon t7i, it’s been a great camera. The flip out screen is good for self video etc. you would definitely want the flip out screen.  The canon m series are smaller bodies since they are mirrorless cameras. The canon sl3 is a smaller dslr too. Smaller cars can be more awkward to hold but if your mainly setting it up on a tripod it’s not really an issue. And smaller cameras are lighter so if your on the move it’s easier to carry and travel with
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a Nikon guy so I'll let someone else speak to the Canon bit.

B&H & Adorama are both ripe for taking your photo-related funds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Canon's onboard mics blow.  I used one for a couple years making youtube videos.  Bought a lumix G7 this year to upgrade to 4K, and the mics are mucho bettero.  (I often use a Blue Yeti and use my audio workstation to record voice and do post-production on it when using the canon.  Not really necessary with the G7.)

I do use my GoPro3 occasionally, but more for those Picture in Picture shots where I want something in a close up window, like a guitar pedal, or maybe gun stuff while shooting.  And of course for proper action stuff like mounting to an AR or my motorcycle for that type of thing.  But as a primary camera?  No.  Maybe the newer models are better, but shitty microphone and super Fisheye lens effect at the ranges you would be doing stuff indoors.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Canon's onboard mics blow.  I used one for a couple years making youtube videos.  Bought a lumix G7 this year to upgrade to 4K, and the mics are mucho bettero.  (I often use a Blue Yeti and use my audio workstation to record voice and do post-production on it when using the canon.  Not really necessary with the G7.)
View Quote
I'd always recommend an external mic like a Rode over an onboard mic.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I referenced the Canon EOS  and accessory bundle on Ebay....is that the route to go or are there better options?

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

EOS is a Canon camera series, some cameras in that series are cool with video... others not so much

getting into cameras is going to also get you into researching cameras
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a dead cat on it, otherwise it's gonna sound like garbage
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. The dead cat is crucial for recording good audio.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, someone's going to have to explain the dead cat thing...
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok, someone's going to have to explain the dead cat thing...
View Quote

lol, it's a big fuzzy microphone cover which keeps wind noise out. You've seen them. I think most YouTubers and streamer just use a pop filter.

I'm going to suggest going to YouTube and searching " my YouTube setup" or "my streaming setup". There are a lot of "studio" tours out there and you'll see plenty of these folks just use a DSLR with external mic and some lighting.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
GoPros do not do well in low lighting.  Most indoor lighting, absent studio /studio-esque lighting is going to push the limits of the ISO sensitivity of a GoPro.  The end result is grain, poor shadow detail, etc.

However, GoPros are easy, and in many ways, more foolproof than using a DSLR.

But, a DSLR is going to give you far greater visual flexibility, albeit with more complexity and a higher pricetag.

I'm not trying to cause you to spend more money than necessary, but if your intent is video, I would really look at mirrorless over DSLR.  [Let me qualify this by stating that I shoot Nikon, and am not familiar with Canon's current lineup.]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to go up at least one tier to get a mic input in the cannon line.

The entry level kits are internal mic only.

I'd just jump straight to mirrorless if going Cannon; I rarely use my full-sized DSLR now, though I will admit the mirrorless looks a bit goofy when I use some of the full-sized DSLR lenses on it.

ETA: They're Waaaaaaay better than a Gopro for video. But GoPro's have their place; They're super small and what you want anywhere you might get wet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You need to go up at least one tier to get a mic input in the cannon line.

The entry level kits are internal mic only.

I'd just jump straight to mirrorless if going Cannon; I rarely use my full-sized DSLR now, though I will admit the mirrorless looks a bit goofy when I use some of the full-sized DSLR lenses on it.

ETA: They're Waaaaaaay better than a Gopro for video. But GoPro's have their place; They're super small and what you want anywhere you might get wet.
View Quote

it really depends on what kind of youtube videos they want to make

if it's just Vlogging, there are really great small options out there.  if it's just the odd youtube video here and there, a Canon Rebel SL1 with a mike on it would be fine

heck, if it's a lot of POV stuff with heavy motion capture and high frame-rate, maybe a GoPro actually is the way to go

OP: there's no easy answer, and you're probably going to buy more than one camera if you want quality high enough for a side-gig
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been researching this a LOT lately.  Specifically, I'm looking for the "best" options for having online violin lessons for the kids.  This includes better camera angle on a tripod and great sound.  Each part of this puzzle has it's own challenges.

If you're primarily going to sit and record, lighting can help your video quality.  A mirrorless Canon with a good lens will do so much better in low light.  I had the Zoom Q8 recommended to me, and found this video which compares it to a Canon with various mic options.

Video camera comparisons

The audio part gets more complicated.  You can start with the onboard Canon mic, but as heard in the previous link it's not the best.  Some mics can be attached to the camera.  I think a better option is to get a good microphone and an audio interface that ports the sound to your computer.  If you do this, you will probably want your video to go to the computer too.  For this you want an HDMI cable and HDMI video capture card.  Now your audio and video will go to your recording program for easier editing without worrying about timing issues.

Excellent info on home studio equipment

Good video showing difference between USB and HDMI feed from Canon

If you start adding instruments and music, it gets a little more involved with the mics and pickups, but other hardware is same/similar.

Hopefully these links give you a good start. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

And to elaborate on the EOS series, they range from about $500-$5000 in price, body only, new.
But the EOS Rebel series is a nice enough consumer camera with decent video capabilty.
Some filming and commercials you see are done using the higher end cameras (not just Canon).
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes. The dead cat is crucial for recording good audio.
View Quote

Not necessarily.  The dead rat (as us tapers call them) will kill wind noise, but if there's no wind there's no boundary layer to minimize.

Definitely not going to hurt anything running the rats.

I've been recording live music for over 30 years; I've never used rats but always use foam windscreens.

Current rig:
Church Audio CA-14 mics (sometimes cards, sometimes omnis) into a Sony PCM-M10.  Back in the day I ran the taper's section 1980's state of the art; Nakamichi CM300 shotguns into a Sony D5.  Laying it down on cassette tape.  With the mic stand this was probably pushing $2k in gear.  Analog recording.  Batteries (2x D-cell for the deck, weird oddball 9.2v for the mics) good for maybe 3 sets (90 min sets).  And you had to flip the freakin' tape.  The rig I have now sounds just as good if not better, records digital PCM signal (I typically run 24 bit, 48kHz), batteries last for days (I get about 30 hours out of a pair of AAs for the deck and I've never had to change the 9v for the mics) and I've got maybe $450 in it.  Records to a micro-SD card that can hold a whole 4-day festival of music.

CA-14s in Action by FredMan, on Flickr

Day Taping Rig by FredMan, on Flickr

Night Taping Rig by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
As others have stated, we need to know what type of videos. I have a small automotive channel which does have some other content on it too. I recently put up a video where I was machining things which was shot almost exclusively with a gopro because it could get where a full frame DSLR could not. As previously mentioned, a gopro is very much strained indoors due to its sensor size. Even with good light for your average room indoors the video is less than ideal IMO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer mirrorless for video. I use a Nikon z7 for motion and stills. No real difference between DSLR and mirrorless for stills though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#24]
What is the cost to get a decent (budget) setup running for making videos? Not looking for pro level, just looking for DIY type stuff. Trying to make videos of how to operate farm equipment so I can show my Dad when I'm on vacation or busy. Plus make other types of videos for family events or YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is the cost to get a decent (budget) setup running for making videos? Not looking for pro level, just looking for DIY type stuff. Trying to make videos of how to operate farm equipment so I can show my Dad when I'm on vacation or busy. Plus make other types of videos for family events or YouTube.
View Quote

IMO, you could do that with a phone and free editing software. Heck, you could put those together in youtube if you wanted.

I shot this video almost exclusively with a gopro, ambient light in the shop, and then voiced it over with a mic in my house. Granted, I used premiere pro to edit it, but for what this is, you could edit it with anything.

Make Delrin Control Arm Bushings

Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#26]
HitFilm Express is a pretty good, free video editor.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Davinci Resolve 16, now 17 by Black Magic is an A level editing software that is 100% free with no limitations. One of the best pieces of media creation software on the market.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

A Canon EOS M50 Mk II with a Rode Video Micro video mic is one of the best setups for for making budget level videos for yourself or Youtube, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top