Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2021 5:23:08 PM EDT
I have a new version EF 100-400mm Canon lens.

Primary purpose is birding.

Currently using my old Rebel T3i (600D) body and need to upgrade.  Leaning towards the crop sensor 90D because I do not have 600mm primary lens money, and will be sticking with the 100-400mm for a while.  But obviously the full sensor 6D is tempting.  Thoughts on which body to get?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a hard choice. There's advantages to either camera. The 90D has a higher mega pixel and newer image processor. The 6D mkII has a higher ISO rating, and of course the full frame sensor.

Maybe save up a bit more and get one of the Refurb EOS R mirrorless cameras and the EF to RF mount adapter with the control ring. The R will outperform both of those.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go 90d personally unless you Absolutely want/need the full frame sensor.

If your wanting bird photos, the 1.6 crop sensor and the higher 32mega pixels will get you more reach and a greater ability to crop and still keep good quality.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a new version EF 100-400mm Canon lens.

Primary purpose is birding.

Currently using my old Rebel T3i (600D) body and need to upgrade.  Leaning towards the crop sensor 90D because I do not have 600mm primary lens money, and will be sticking with the 100-400mm for a while.  But obviously the full sensor 6D is tempting.  Thoughts on which body to get?

Thanks.
View Quote

For birding?  I'd be tempted to stay APS-C for the crop factor.  Birding is one area where you're always short on zoom.

You should also think about going mirrorless and using the adapter for your EF lenses.   At some point, there just won't be anything new in EF.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go 90d personally unless you Absolutely want/need the full frame sensor.

If your wanting bird photos, the 1.6 crop sensor and the higher 32mega pixels will get you more reach and a greater ability to crop and still keep good quality.
View Quote

Full frame shutter rate won't compare to the 90d.
I use an old 50d for instances when I need burst shutter for catching action.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
For birds, you would be hard pressed to do better with less reach. Get the crop sensor camera.

ETA: I own a 6DII and I owned a 70D. I would take the 70D to shoot football every time vs. my full frame cameras.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe a 7D MK II ?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe a 7D MK II ?
View Quote

What's the framerate difference between the two? How about the low light performance of each sensor? I'm not familiar with that portion of the Canon line as it has been so long since I purchased a crop sensor camera, but those are the two key questions I would be asking for birds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's the framerate difference between the two? How about the low light performance of each sensor? I'm not familiar with that portion of the Canon line as it has been so long since I purchased a crop sensor camera, but those are the two key questions I would be asking for birds.
View Quote

7D Mk II
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

7d mk2 is literally like a 1d with a crop sensor. It’s going to be built tough like a pro camera should be.  It’s older than the 90d by 5ish years now, but can still perform. Low on the resolution compared to the 90d, but the auto focus system Is supposed to be a lot better on the 7d being a pro camera.

Imo it’s such a hard choice and you can’t go wrong with either, personally for me if it was a serious use camera and I was focused on only still photos the 7d might be my choice. Video needs or just Amateur/beginner everyday camera 90d, better video options, cheaper, WiFi, touch etc. touch/flip screen features are really nice - i couldn’t go back to buttons and a fixed screen.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

7d mk2 is literally like a 1d with a crop sensor. It's going to be built tough like a pro camera should be.  It's older than the 90d by 5ish years now, but can still perform. Low on the resolution compared to the 90d, but the auto focus system Is supposed to be a lot better on the 7d being a pro camera.

Imo it's such a hard choice and you can't go wrong with either, personally for me if it was a serious use camera and I was focused on only still photos the 7d might be my choice. Video needs or just Amateur/beginner everyday camera 90d, better video options, cheaper, WiFi, touch etc. touch/flip screen features are really nice - i couldn't go back to buttons and a fixed screen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7d mk2 is literally like a 1d with a crop sensor. It's going to be built tough like a pro camera should be.  It's older than the 90d by 5ish years now, but can still perform. Low on the resolution compared to the 90d, but the auto focus system Is supposed to be a lot better on the 7d being a pro camera.

Imo it's such a hard choice and you can't go wrong with either, personally for me if it was a serious use camera and I was focused on only still photos the 7d might be my choice. Video needs or just Amateur/beginner everyday camera 90d, better video options, cheaper, WiFi, touch etc. touch/flip screen features are really nice - i couldn't go back to buttons and a fixed screen.

Looking into the two, I agree on all points. The price difference I saw in a very cursory search has me leaning heavily toward the 7DII if I had to choose. That, and I'm hard on stuff, so the pro style weather sealing and toughness will be a noticeable thing for me. Although I shoot a lot of video, I might keep an eye out for a 7DII for the rare times I need the reach.

This has been a very interesting thread.

ETA:

Canon 90D vs 7D MK ii for WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
For birding?

90D all day, crop sensor for all wildlife photography.

I have the 7D Mk II and 100-400 ii L, it is a fantastic combination. And it does well with the Canon 1.4 magnifier.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For birding?

90D all day, crop sensor for all wildlife photography.

I have the 7D Mk II and 100-400 ii L, it is a fantastic combination. And it does well with the Canon 1.4 magnifier.
View Quote
Why the 90D over the 7D?  Both are crop sensors.

Edit:  Unless your responding to the OP, about 6D or 90D.   In which case I agree.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why the 90D over the 7D?  Both are crop sensors.

Edit:  Unless your responding to the OP, about 6D or 90D.   In which case I agree.
View Quote

Responding to OP on 90D vs 6D

I think the 7Dii is the best Canon body for wildlife photography on the current market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top