Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/26/2021 4:20:02 PM EDT
We all know we enjoy some of the least restrictive policies in the world when it comes to civilian ownership of firearms here in the United States, but there is one thing that Canada does right that I think we could benefit from if we adopted this policy here.

I'm not advocating for AW bans, or handgun registration and bans like Canada has, but hear me out on one of their laws.

In Canada instead of licensing the gun dealer and forcing everyone to go through a FFL like here in the U.S. where you have a BGC ran every time a firearm is transferred, Canada licenses the actual gun owner. You have a permit called a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) that you show to anyone you buy firearms or ammunition from.  

This shows them you are not a prohibited person similar to how a CCW or CHL can bypass the NICS check in many states.

If you want a new gun you can simply order it straight to your door bypassing the trip to the FFL and the background check because you have already gotten one to get the PAL.

I think a nationwide card similar to a PAL allowing anyone with a clear background to buy and CARRY firearms in every state would solve a lot of the current problems with the U.S.'s firearm policy.

Have a PAL? Knock yourself out.

Don't have one or not in the immediate presence of someone who does? No guns for you!

Democrats would essentially get what they claim they want UBC's because you have to get a Background check to get the card. And Pro-Gun people get the right to acquire, possess, and carry guns everywhere in the country.

But the guns aren't registered! The gun owners are.

Face it if you have ever bought 1 gun on a 4473 or a scope or box of ammo online you are already on that list!

The problem with allowing such policies is they can be weaponized against law abiding people such as when Illinois was late processing FOID card applications. There was no provision in the law for an extension of the FOID if the state police failed to process it in time making thousands of Illinois gun owners criminals until their new FOID was issued.  

So yes it's a double edged sword, but I think it would take away a lot of the problems with the current U.S. firearms policy.

Straw Purchases, 80% guns being made by criminals, stolen guns, underage possessors.

No individual background checks would be required because to simply possess a gun you would need the PAL. And by proving you are a qualified gun owner you get a 50 state carry permit.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not going to go the way you think, pepper your anus.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not just no but fuck no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get a coc warning for telling the OP what I think so I'll just leave it up to his imagination.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Should just make it so if you have a CCW license you can cash and carry, even for NFA items.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I prepared some great angus for my chili last night
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a good idea at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is not going to go the way you think, pepper your anus.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should just make it so if you have a CCW license you can cash and carry, even for NFA items.
View Quote

I'd consider getting a permit for that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I came here for short shotguns OP.  I am disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
How about I buy or build whatever the fuck I want and in exchange I don't use it to overthrow anything?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Does this mean .gov would have a better record of what you've bought and have?

I'd support it if they let us get machineguns
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope those chains cause chafing
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We all know we enjoy some of the least restrictive policies in the world when it comes to civilian ownership of firearms here in the United States, but there is one thing that Canada does right that I think we could benefit from if we adopted this policy here.

I'm not advocating for AW bans, or handgun registration and bans like Canada has, but hear me out on one of their laws.

In Canada instead of licensing the gun dealer and forcing everyone to go through a FFL like here in the U.S. where you have a BGC ran every time a firearm is transferred, Canada licenses the actual gun owner. You have a permit called a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) that you show to anyone you buy firearms or ammunition from.  

This shows them you are not a prohibited person similar to how a CCW or CHL can bypass the NICS check in many states.

If you want a new gun you can simply order it straight to your door bypassing the trip to the FFL and the background check because you have already gotten one to get the PAL.

I think a nationwide card similar to a PAL allowing anyone with a clear background to buy and CARRY firearms in every state would solve a lot of the current problems with the U.S.'s firearm policy.

Don't have one or not in the immediate presence of someone who does? No guns for you!

Democrats would essentially get what they claim they want UBC's because you have to get a Background check to get the card. And Pro-Gun people get the right to acquire, possess, and carry guns everywhere in the country.

Face it if you have ever bought 1 gun on a 4473 or a scope or box of ammo online you are already on that list!

The problem with allowing such policies is they can be weaponized against law abiding people such as when Illinois was late processing FOID card applications. There was no provision in the law for an extension of the FOID if the state police failed to process it in time making thousands of Illinois gun owners criminals until their new FOID was issued.  

So yes it's a double edged sword, but I think it would take away a lot of the problems with the current U.S. firearms policy.

Straw Purchases, 80% guns being made by criminals, stolen guns, underage possessors.

No individual background checks would be required because to simply possess a gun you would need the PAL. And by proving you are a qualified gun owner you get a 50 state carry permit.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Every U.S. citizen is born with such a permit.

The problem is that communist assholes have perverted the constitution so that people think asinine ideas like PAL are a good idea when in fact there shouldn’t even be FFL, NFA, etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
No.  Gun owner licensing means a nice list for confiscation time.  And they could easily pile on renewal fees to make ownership cost prohibitive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
As one of those who lives under this shit... a solid fuck no.  Did I mention NO?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope.  I don't need a license to own a Bible.  I don't need a license to vote.  I don't need a license to speak my mind.  See where this is going?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck right off.  

Seriously WTF, you are not as smart as you think you are.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
You can't be fuckin serious. How about NO background checks. Buy your guns and ammo online and have it shipped right to your door with no gov involvement, at all.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
All gun laws are unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone who has a PAL has a firearm. It isn't a stretch to assume that someone who has an active PAL has a firearm. It is essentially registration. Canada also registers all handguns, all AR-15s, and all semi auto rifles with a barrel shorter than 18" and semi auto shotguns with a barrel shorter than 18".

Now yes, for Unrestricted firearms, you can say you no longer have them because those don't require background checks to transfer and can be done privately. Things like the Tavor and short barrelled pump actions fall into this category (or did, Tavor might be banned now). So much like the US you cannot prove they own said firearms. However if you keep renewing your PAL it is safe to assume you own some firearms. Which means they can easily search your house and find the guns you "no longer have".

In Canada every gun owner undergoes a background check daily essentially, and if you commit a crime your PAL will be revoked. Which is practically pointless. Many criminals own guns illegally. Why not do a background check on every citizen and then raid their house when they commit a certain crime? It would make more sense because again, many criminals illegally own guns. Problem is that may run afoul of the constitution. And I'm not sure we should be doing more SWAT raids for every little crime. That is really the opposite of what we need.

TLDR: It is the same thing essentially.

A possible solution can be an optional , free background check that can be done without an FFL. If a seller wants to verify their buyer so be it, their property their selling terms, but it shouldn't be a requirement. Mandatory registration/licensing = eventual confiscation. That is what it exists for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]
We do have something like that

Its the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2nd

Everyone has that card
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#25]
FUD thread
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote
thoughts are there is no list even for filling out a 4473.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I could get behind it if everyone was issued the card universally at 18, a "go" by default, free, never needs renewed.  No records of who has one, just records of who doesn't.

If you have a card, you're good.  If you don't have a card and someone calls you in, you're good unless there's a positive response in 30 seconds.

I don't support this, just saying it's the only way a PAL type system would be anywhere near OK.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#28]
If someone from Illinois would care to explain to the OP the awesomeness of your states FOID system, that would be great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, you are making a broader point.  The issue here isn't so much with how these laws work, it's with the overreach of governments.  Don't think for a minute that they wouldn't infringe in other ways had the US or Canada gone about things differently.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I received my paperwork when I was born..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Why not have a system where any one can have delivered to them any firearm at any time without bending your knee to the king and kissing the bishop's ring?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey OP, I’ve got a novel idea. How about a list of prohibited individuals and leave the rest of us the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#33]
If you have no ftf transfer in your state a pal would be less traceable than the system in place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I could get behind it if everyone was issued the card universally at 18, a "go" by default, free, never needs renewed.  No records of who has one, just records of who doesn't.

If you have a card, you're good.  If you don't have a card and someone calls you in, you're good unless there's a positive response in 30 seconds.

I don't support this, just saying it's the only way a PAL type system would be anywhere near OK.
View Quote

HEre let me make it easy for you..

1. No licensing
2. No registration
3. No special taxes
4. No special background checks
5. No restrictions on sales and transport

Never give the gun grabbers an inch... never agree to any compromise.  They are not our friends.  Ever

Always say no to any gun control proposal no matter how "nice" or lax it may appear...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If someone from Illinois would care to explain to the OP the awesomeness of your states FOID system, that would be great.
View Quote
I think he already did.

"The problem with allowing such policies is they can be weaponized against law abiding people such as when Illinois was late processing FOID card applications. There was no provision in the law for an extension of the FOID if the state police failed to process it in time making thousands of Illinois gun owners criminals until their new FOID was issued."

There is no free lunch, OP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the only thing they got right is they can still get Russian and Chinese guns imported.

Otherwise, fuck that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't mind having to have a PAL. But being forced to wear a yellow star bugs the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
The issue you fail to grasp OP, is that no free man should have to ask the government for shit. The fact that you are so willing to allow the government to tell you whether or not you can exercise your god given right means you don’t deserve it to begin with. Perhaps a gun forum isn’t the place for you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#39]
No gun possession license no gun selling license if you're over 18 and not a felon you're legal. Convict all gun crimes to the fullest. Simple and easy be a bad boy and you pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#40]
OP don't think gun confiscation be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not just no but fuck no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone keeps talking about "Muh Rights".

Yes I believe in "Shall Not Be Infringed".

But I also understand that the average person or politician does not and never will support 100% free and unrestricted access to firearms.

No, you don't have to register your bible, but you do have to register to vote!

Certain right's are allowed to be regulated in one way or another whether we like it or not.

I'm simply trying to show how we could allow more firearms freedoms with what I believe would be a much less obtrusive and restrictive system.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this a really subtle troll or just stupidity?

Your proposed firearms owner licensing fails to address ANY of those things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#44]
How much time before the mass confiscation begins , about a year ?

Op is retarded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I already have a CCP and wasn't happy I had to get that.

No more permit bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#47]
No. The one thing they got right was not instituting stupid restrictions based on an arbitrary barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Everyone keeps talking about "Muh Rights".

Yes I believe in "Shall Not Be Infringed".

But I also understand that the average person or politician does not and never will support 100% free and unrestricted access to firearms.

No, you don't have to register your bible, but you do have to register to vote!

Certain right's are allowed to be regulated in one way or another whether we like it or not.

I'm simply trying to show how we could allow more firearms freedoms with what I believe would be a much less obtrusive and restrictive system.
View Quote

More, new regulations and laws does not equal more freedoms, quite the opposite actually.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Didn’t guns and ammo get shipped to your door back in the day. Yeah it should be like that, send money get what you ordered. No hoops no BS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Take your shit and get out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top