Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2020 11:56:10 PM EDT
My dad's barn just burned down and it had my Hemi in it. There was a bunch of shit on top of it so I couldn't see it, but there's probably no saving it is there?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on if enough shit fell on it during the fire and insulated it from the heat.  Either way I'd be taking it apart.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
That sucks.

I guess it depends on how hot it got. It might be okay. Post pics when you get it uncovered.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks.

I guess it depends on how hot it got. It might be okay. Post pics when you get it uncovered.
View Quote
I will, but seeing the mustang that was sitting next to it doesn't give me much hope, because it's history.

That being said, if it can be rebuilt, it's the perfect motor. (just a lot shittier and froze up than this one)

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
As a rule yes. We had a few company trucks in fires at a former employer. plastic stuff and gaskets would melt. The iron parts did not care. Look at valve guide seals.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I've rebuilt a couple that burnt. One of them the intake melted and ran down the valves and puddled up on top of a few of the pistons. I didn't reuse those heads.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My first job when I started at a Bobcat dealer 15 years ago was a track loader that caught on fire from some flammable liquid hitting a hot turbo after engine shutdown. The customer bought it cheap from the insurance company. It got all new plastic & rubber parts, including the valve cover gasket but not the oil pan gasket. It ran fine afterward.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My first job when I started at a Bobcat dealer 15 years ago was a track loader that caught on fire from some flammable liquid hitting a hot turbo after engine shutdown. The customer bought it cheap from the insurance company. It got all new plastic & rubber parts, including the valve cover gasket but not the oil pan gasket. It ran fine afterward.
View Quote
The one thing he's glad burned up was his Bobcat. It's been in the shop at least one a month for the past year.

I went over there today, but seeing it made me feel so sick I didn't go try to dig my motor out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It'll be fine., it's seasoned now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd  replace valve springs. Fire can mess with the temper / heat treatment
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
When you decide to build it, just get the line bore checked carefully, deck squared and surfaced and heads resurfaced
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
1st Gen Hemi?  I would guess the block and heads can be saved.  Anything aluminum melted into puddles?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my old bosses had a customer he was rebuilding the carburetor on for.  Vehicle was sitting in the owners garage with the carb off.  Owners son came in to steal some things from the old man to sell for drugs and fired up the Corvette.  Fuel sprayed directly into the intake, caught fire, ran poorly, melted the starter wire so when he shut it off it kept spining and spraying fuel, son grabs fire extinguisher and sprays the engine, which sucked in all that particulate from the extinguisher.  Max saved the owners engine, and cleaned up the engine compartment.  But it involved yanking the engine and doing a complete rebuild from the ground up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1st Gen Hemi?  I would guess the block and heads can be saved.  Anything aluminum melted into puddles?
View Quote
I haven't had a chance to check on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#15]
unless there is sentimental value there is no way its worth it on modern engines. too much plastic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Pics aren't loading.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pics aren't loading.
View Quote

I haven't been able to make it back over there, but dad text me and said it's not saveable.

I guess it took more damage than I figured it would have. It still had an intake manifold and air cleaner on it.

My Hemi, the '66 Mustang and the '49 Power Wagon were complete losses.

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#18]
My guess is if you reseal the engine  you should be alright.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
RIP sorry dude.  What caused the fire?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
My money is on that engine is rebuildable.  Unless insurance is going to give you a big fat Hemi check.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmemegenerator.net%2Fimg%2Finstances%2F78053278%2Fshes-dead-jim.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I haven't been able to make it back over there, but dad text me and said it's not saveable.

https://i.imgur.com/ShhYQ6W.jpg

I guess it took more damage than I figured it would have. It still had an intake manifold and air cleaner on it.

My Hemi, the '66 Mustang and the '49 Power Wagon were complete losses.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.chron.com%2Ftubular%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2Fgame-of-thrones-for-the-homies-pour-one-out.gif&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote
It's ugly, but I bet the basic castings and crank would be usable for a total overhaul.  Shit can every spring, bolt, valve, etc.  Probably not worth it though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RIP sorry dude.  What caused the fire?
View Quote
He had just bought a 49 Power Wagon and was going to put a sign on the door for his business to park out front, and from my understanding put linseed oil on it and the oil selfcombusted.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I used a 350 that was in a fire years ago. I took off the intake because the carb was half way in it. I had to replace the front cam bearing and timing set(GM plastic toothed gear). I don't remember what I did with the heads. But it ran fine once I got the issues fixed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used a 350 that was in a fire years ago. I took off the intake because the carb was half way in it. I had to replace the front cam bearing and timing set(GM plastic toothed gear). I don't remember what I did with the heads. But it ran fine once I got the issues fixed.
View Quote
This was a motor that was, honestly, past being a basket case when I got it. By the time I got it, it was so rusted I was breaking impact sockets trying to get bolts loose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#26]
If you don't want it to be salvageable, we'll OK I guess.

But it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top