Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2022 2:30:03 PM EDT
Im getting my house wired up for Ethernet.

Is it possible to convert Ethernet to HDMI? The plug ends make it harder to run the cables, and was wondering if there is some sort of "adapter" that can run an HDMI signal over ethernet cabling? If so, does it introduce any Latency? I know there are some solutions out there, but I'm not sure which solutions would work best for Cost-effectiveness while also reducing input lag.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.blackbox.com/en-nz/insights/black-box-explains/av/what-is-hdmi-over-ethernet-and-how-does-it-work
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
HDBaseT runs HDMI over Cat6 cabling. It is not Ethernet and is not switchable/routable if you plug it into an Ethernet network, but it shares the cabling and allows you to run HDMI over much longer distances.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
We do it all the time in our installs.

This is the transmitter.  It matches with a receiver at the other end.

https://www.extron.com/product/dtp2t211

There are probably cheaper DTP units out there, but we only use Extron.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HDBaseT runs HDMI over Cat6 cabling. It is not Ethernet and is not switchable/routable if you plug it into an Ethernet network, but it shares the cabling and allows you to run HDMI over much longer distances.
View Quote
I knew it wouldn't be switchable/routable via IP. But I have a modular patch panel... so I can "manually" switch it by by using HDMI Patch Cables to switch from one source/destination to another... right?

I figure I'll install HDMI Keystones into the Modular Patch panel...label them correctly. That way when I want to route a source to a specific TV, I can just move arrange it as I want it.

I bet theres probably some expensive switching solution to handle inputs/outputs of HDMI, but thats just not worth it for me. So manual switching will be fine. Basically, I want to be able to switch output of a Raspberry Pi I have in my network closet... to several TVs in my home, OR from my PC to any of the TVs. Which would allow me to play games or retro games, or even display output for other Raspberry Pi servers I have running in the closet if need be.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to add... that none of the TVs in my home are more than 1080p. So I dont need it to be 4K Capable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
We used some $20 HDMI>Ethernet Adapters we got off aliexpress like a decade ago during the GWOT.

One adapter turns HDMI into 2X RJ45 and the other adapter thrned it back into HDMI.  We were running it about 100ft.  Bandwidth wasn’t great, distance and Ethernet cable rating were the determining factors, but we could send a screen to adjacent tents and stuff at FOBs pretty easy. I think 150ft was about the max distance. We had miles of Ethernet cable; HDMI not so much.

Looked like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KNDHSJT?tag=arfcom00-20

We mostly used it to send VIC video feeds of ground ops to the breakroom tent so the guys relaxing between shifts could still watch us smoke dudes without having having to crowd the TOC or command rooms. You’d get a wild op or some good action and there’d be like 12 dudes nuts to butts crowding around the TOC screens trying to see the action. This kept the nonessential people on break from crowding the room.

I’m sure it violated all kinds of red/black separation regulations.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I knew it wouldn't be switchable/routable via IP. But I have a modular patch panel... so I can "manually" switch it by by using HDMI Patch Cables to switch from one source/destination to another... right?

I figure I'll install HDMI Keystones into the Modular Patch panel...label them correctly. That way when I want to route a source to a specific TV, I can just move arrange it as I want it.

I bet theres probably some expensive switching solution to handle inputs/outputs of HDMI, but thats just not worth it for me. So manual switching will be fine. Basically, I want to be able to switch output of a Raspberry Pi I have in my network closet... to several TVs in my home, OR from my PC to any of the TVs. Which would allow me to play games or retro games, or even display output for other Raspberry Pi servers I have running in the closet if need be.
View Quote

Yeah, that would work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you installing?
View Quote

For the installs that use DTP we run HDMI cameras and other devices over DTP into a matrix switcher's inputs, then run the switcher outputs over DTP to HDMI monitors.

For example, an EOC might have 20 input devices they want to route to 10 different outputs.  We use Extron, Crestron, or AMX control systems to give them touch panel control of all the A/V devices in the room.

NDI is making big strides into the industry.  It's truly 'video/audio/tally/control signals over IP.'
All NDI devices live on a standard network switch (although managed switches are recommended.)
It hasn't penetrated the consumer market yet, but it will.

NDI is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a dual HDMI over CAT-6 transmitter off my NVR to send signal to two TV's in my house.   I tried to use good CAT-5e, but it did not work.  I had to upgrade to solid copper CAT-6.  Works great.  Amazon has all kinds of HDMI over CAT-6 transmitter/receivers.   Read requirements/max length/etc....  Also look for ones with free returns.   I have looked for mine, and they do not sell it any longer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Just put your content on a media server on the network

stream from plex

use hdmi from roku boxes to the monitors
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Mono price?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Just run some decent quality fiber and upgrade the terminations points/devices as necessary moving forward.

Then your cable run will never be a bottleneck for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Would something like this work?
Seems... odd that it could work. HDMI has more wires than Ethernet does... so a "passive" adapter that works only only the physical layer,... I have no idea how that could work.

It seems the other solutions people posted previously, imply that it needs to be more of an "active" adapter... meaning there needs to be some re-organization of the electrical signal... which would increase latency.

How on earth does this adapter work?

How to Install HDMI over CAT5e / CAT6 Ethernet Cables

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
AMX makes boxes that mux the hdmi video into data and send it to a receiver box over cat6

The AMX DXLink 4K60 HDMI Transmitter Module is a 4K60 4:4:4 capable distance transport solution with support for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It transmits audio, video, control, Ethernet, and USB 2.0 over one shielded Cat6, Cat6A or Cat7 standard twisted pair cable. DXLink 4K60 HDMI Transmitter Modules are perfect for sending HDMI and control signals over long distances to a remote DXLink 4K60 Receiver Module or other compatible AMX Receivers such as the DGX DXLink 4K60 Twisted Pair Input Board. The transmitter's built-in control ports can be used to control a source device and the ICSLan port provides an IP network access port when used in conjunction with the Enova DGX 100 Series.

i could have a patch rack in the basement on a video switcher
And pick a TV with a network drop and a send any input to any receiver.

a transmitter in the theaters table could send video to my switcher and I could send thst feed to the lobby TV on each of the 8 floors

not cheap

the transmitters were 1200 bucks and the same for a receiver

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im getting my house wired up for Ethernet.

Is it possible to convert Ethernet to HDMI? The plug ends make it harder to run the cables, and was wondering if there is some sort of "adapter" that can run an HDMI signal over ethernet cabling? If so, does it introduce any Latency? I know there are some solutions out there, but I'm not sure which solutions would work best for Cost-effectiveness while also reducing input lag.

View Quote

We are using exactly this type of adapter in our conference rooms on the idea that video in and out connectors and specifications tend to change, but cat6 is going to be around for a long time.

I think these are what we bought: https://www.gofanco.com/products/hdmi-extenders/hdmi-extender-over-cat5e-6-1080p-50m-hdext.html

They’re kind of cheapos, definitely not professional grade but we’ve never had any issues with them either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just put your content on a media server on the network

stream from plex

use hdmi from roku boxes to the monitors
View Quote

first thing I thought too but maybe the video is live
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
We are using exactly this type of adapter in our conference rooms on the idea that video in and out connectors and specifications tend to change, but cat6 is going to be around for a long time.
View Quote

Place I used to work at would do this with their lobby displays.  Communications wanted a VGA cable pulled there, and DVI was just coming out.  While the electrician came in for a different cabling job, we asked if this could all be run on cat6 media converters.  This saved us from having to pull hdmi later on.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wanted to add... that none of the TVs in my home are more than 1080p. So I dont need it to be 4K Capable.
View Quote

You should probably plan for the future. 4k TVs are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
AMX makes boxes that mux the hdmi video into data and send it to a receiver box over cat6

The AMX DXLink 4K60 HDMI Transmitter Module is a 4K60 4:4:4 capable distance transport solution with support for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It transmits audio, video, control, Ethernet, and USB 2.0 over one shielded Cat6, Cat6A or Cat7 standard twisted pair cable. DXLink 4K60 HDMI Transmitter Modules are perfect for sending HDMI and control signals over long distances to a remote DXLink 4K60 Receiver Module or other compatible AMX Receivers such as the DGX DXLink 4K60 Twisted Pair Input Board. The transmitter's built-in control ports can be used to control a source device and the ICSLan port provides an IP network access port when used in conjunction with the Enova DGX 100 Series.

i could have a patch rack in the basement on a video switcher
And pick a TV with a network drop and a send any input to any receiver.

a transmitter in the theaters table could send video to my switcher and I could send thst feed to the lobby TV on each of the 8 floors

not cheap

the transmitters were 1200 bucks and the same for a receiver

View Quote

Would not recommend DXLinks. They’re hot garbage unless you’re getting them for free.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#22]
They worked fine in my install, but it was a commercial build out by a big vendor with an AMX 32 channel switcher at the core

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I think what you are looking for is something like a slingbox, though those are discontinued now.

I used one a number of years ago, you could plug your cable TV, DVD player, etc into the box which would sample the audio and video and then you could watch it anywhere.  I used it to watch cable TV on my PC, it included a clear QAM tuner so didn’t even need a cable box.

I stopped using it when they discontinued the stand alone PC and and started requiring an account on their cloud servers and use a web app to control it.

The product was recently discontinued, but I guess there are some similar choices, find out what those users are switching over to.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The new models that are p2p are okay. The old models that used TCP IP were always falling offline regardless of how well they’re terminated or how how many IP reservations we did. Or would just straight up fail and brick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top