BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas isn't due to peak until May 8th. That's about 3 weeks after the expected peak in NYC on April 16.

Mortality Forecast for Texas:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57642/Texas_Death_Forecast_jpg-1347738.JPG
View Quote

Its weird they talk about these state peaks like they are within borders.

If my state peaks and goes back to "normal", but the texas peaks later, its not like this shit wont transfer all around the country.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not Ohio.

Mount Carmel laid off 900 nurses today
Ohio Health and Children’s hospital, 800 and 300 laid off.
View Quote

And I'd wager none of those were critical care or emergency trained RNs. They were all RNs working in elective areas like out patient clinics or OR/PACU settings.
We've had the same at my main employer and my PRN facilities. Many of the OR or PACU RNs with previous ED or ICU experience were quickly absorbed into
those units schedules due to staffing shortages.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
your a hoax
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine isn't yet (crosses fingers), but the ones that have travel agencies offering me 10k/wk+ housing must not be doing so hot in the staffing department.

Why?  Are you interested and qualified to help?  Or do you think it's all a hoax?

your a hoax

You're.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
OST
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The most surprising thing about all this Corona mess for me has been the realization that there are people who fundamentally don't understand the idea of different places.  

View Quote

The other shocking thing is how many people can’t comprehend that it can cause no symptoms in one person, while being lethal in another.   It is counter intuitive, and many people cannot process abstract thoughts.   This is a big part of what’s causing the flu bro controversy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not yet locally, but we’re already in a severe nationwide shortage of medications including paralyzing agents, propofol, fentanyl, ketamine, midazolam (Versed), etc.
View Quote

I had to pick up an Rx earlier this week and mentioned to the Pharm tech that Plaquenil (which I take) was showing promise as a treatment. She said "i can't get you any" I told her no, I don't need any, just passing along that it's looking promising. Didn't register with her, she replied, "no it's out everywhere, I can't get you any". She was actually getting a little rattled about it, so I just said thanks for my (other) Rx and left. Everyone there looked stressed, and that was just a non-hospital pharmacy. Normally they are an extremely friendly, bubbly, outgoing bunch.

I do all the shopping since I'm old and expendable and already on Plaquenil (and Zinc and Vit C for the past 2 weeks) plus wear my N95 correctly and religiously and have my own Clorox wipes (many stores are out) and I see MAYBE 1-2% of other shoppers wearing masks. The spread here is gonna take off and it's all because the (every expletive in the book) morons think it's a joke and/or can't follow simple instructions (stay home, wash hands, etc). We live in a very old (avg age 40.5) county and a lot of people are going to die, needlessly, because of others' arrogance and stupidity.

Look at South Korea ans they fixed it. Look at us (and Italy and Spain and France) and it's a mess. All because of stupid, stupid, dumb, ignorant, stupid, selfish, shortsighted, stupid, self-absorbed, stupid people.

It's so needless.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is freaking amazing isn't it?!?!?  If you watch closely, it's on nearly every other topic as well.   Opinions and proper actions on nearly all topics, at some level, have to to with geography, yet folks try to apply a blanket perspective or solution.

"There are two kinds of situations.  One, where a guy is naked in the street, howling at the moon.  And another, where that same guy is in your living room.  One you can ignore, the other you're sorta forced to deal with."
View Quote

Or tip well, if he deserved it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

we're setting the same thing up in the Columbus Convention Center

OhioHealth, OSU, and Mt Carmel will all be setting up the space. Nationwide Childrens is not planning to setup in it yet, but they have space reserved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, we are in SE Michigan. We are a hot spot. My wife and her sister works for two different healthcare systems.  All their units have been converted to Covid units.  They are short on PPE, nurses, and some are starting to get sick.

You can take what you like from this post.

Southeastern Michigan is being hammered with it right now with over 450 deaths and we're being told this is just the beginning of it. Some hospitals have shut down the emergency rooms just to work on coronavirus patients

God bless all of our medical workers, firefighters,  paramedics, police any of you that are working on the front line God bless all of you.

COBO Hall in Detroit today.

https://i.postimg.cc/C13yG37r/92028056-10220260314932167-7622620210758942720-o.jpg

we're setting the same thing up in the Columbus Convention Center

OhioHealth, OSU, and Mt Carmel will all be setting up the space. Nationwide Childrens is not planning to setup in it yet, but they have space reserved.

Toledo will use UT dorms so I am told.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Detailed information is given to certain people and can be easily narrowed down to a few people specifically knowing the geographical area. Its a small world in the medical field.
View Quote

My girl is a CVICU traveler, and will tell you that EVERYONE hears about EVERYTHING. No one, in the middle of all this, is getting investigated for talking about how busy their hospital is or isn't.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you really suggesting they’re all lying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does no-one name the hospitals they work at?

Yes, I'm suggesting that every single person in this thread is lying.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#13]
About 60 confirmed cases.

~23 in house.

~8 on vents.

Hospital census? Cut in half..
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But God forbid you don't buy into the panic here on ARF. Then you're a Flubro that wants all old people to die.
View Quote

Well, I just got an email to expect another conference call sometime this weekend, so we'll see what he has to say now.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why did you ask?  Do you doubt?

Very simple question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very simple question.

Wondering why everyone is so cryptic and vague when discussing how busy they are or aren't. No- one is naming names or discussing proprietary battle plans for the expected influx of patients.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wondering why everyone is so cryptic and vague when discussing how busy they are or aren't. No- one is naming names or discussing proprietary battle plans for the expected influx of patients.
View Quote
I am not interested in giving where I work out to everybody on the internet.   That is first and foremost on my in situations like this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you think that they’re lying?

Just say it.

Are you REALLY so in denial about our hospitals getting ready and/or already in the thick of it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very simple question.

So you think that they’re lying?

Just say it.

Are you REALLY so in denial about our hospitals getting ready and/or already in the thick of it?

No, I don't.  Because I've seen the preparations being made where I am now.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I service elevators not a Dr. just some observations, was at a local small hospital and it was a ghost town. two other small medical centers are both very geared up with drive in testing areas in the parking lots but not tons of people inside. I think most people are just examined and sent home.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#20]
My GF works for one of the latest health systems in SE MI. Major hospitals are full. Satellite hospitals are filling. Clinics are taking in all non-C19. There are are few satellites that have not been hard hit yet. Obviously it depends on whether you're a hot spot or not.

Be aware, the age of those in serious condition is dropping. More younger folks are showing serious signs and not just being a carrier.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Work at a Detroit ER.
My day off was today.  Buddy texted me and told me that they ran out of clean vents. Had to transfer a pt out because no vent was available.
We are full of COVID pts.
Every room has that same set of red eyes.

One of the hospitals in Oakland county is using dollar store ponchos for gowns.

One of my ambulance friends told me that the hospitals are gobbling up all the supplies. They have no orders coming in. They have to beg, borrow, and steal.

It’s getting hot here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My GF works for one of the latest health systems in SE MI. Major hospitals are full. Satellite hospitals are filling. Clinics are taking in all non-C19. There are are few satellites that have not been hard hit yet. Obviously it depends on whether you're a hot spot or not.

Be aware, the age of those in serious condition is dropping. More younger folks are showing serious signs and not just being a carrier.
View Quote

I have read to that it is sitting the millennial crowd real hard to now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m a physician at two hospitals here and we are overwhelmed. Both places have ICUs at capacity with COVID-19 patients and every single one of them are on the ventilator. More have died than are being reported because they can’t include those numbers until the tests come back. We are overflowing ventilated patients into the PACU and back down in the ED because we have no more space. We’ve ran out of ventilators and had to begged the fire department to borrow the seven portable ventilators they have on their rigs. We are using pediatric ventilators on adults. We were just donated old ventilators that no shit has a front panel exactly like the time destination panel in the Delorean in the Back to the Future movies.

We had to start shipping patients out to rural hospitals because we can’t absorb that many more patients. I’ve worked for the past 21 days straight and have a week off before working another 35 straight between the two hospitals. Our normal travel doctors are not coming anymore because they’re either avoiding the workload/disease or have more lucrative offers elsewhere. We’re buying our own respirators at price-gouging premiums because I refuse to re-use N95s for a whole damn week anymore. The CDC relaxed it’s guidelines because of mask shortages, not because it’s actually safe.  They said a frickin handkerchief is ok for last resort?!?!

We have cardiologists, anesthesiologists, clinic doctors, and surgeons all pitching in due to the shortage. Their elective cases have been cancelled anyway so they have nothing else to do. Have a heart attack? Good luck getting a stent at this point. We’ll just drip clotbuster meds and hope it works.

The ability of this virus to kill people quickly is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. Patients young and old, with and without comorbidities, pregnant or not, are not immune.

Take it for what it’s worth.  Believe me or not—I can’t really muster up the care at this point.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Work at a Detroit ER.
My day off was today.  Buddy texted me and told me that they ran out of clean vents. Had to transfer a pt out because no vent was available.

One of my ambulance friends told me that the hospitals are gobbling up all the supplies. They have no orders coming in. They have to beg, borrow, and steal.

It’s getting hot here.
View Quote

I know a Detroit paramedic who just came down with coronavirus working on patients.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know a Detroit paramedic who just came down with coronavirus working on patients.
View Quote

Yeah. DPD is getting hammered by it. Doesn’t surprise me that DEMS is getting hit.  Those guys are running like crazy. Record setting days left and right
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah. DPD is getting hammered by it. Doesn’t surprise me that DEMS is getting hit.  Those guys are running like crazy. Record setting days left and right
View Quote

My sister just recently lost two friends that were nurses in Detroit to the coronavirus and another one is in Macomb County on life support right now.

I lost an uncle on March 27th to the coronavirus and I have an aunt and two cousins that have it that it would have been fighting it for the last 2 weeks.

Stay safe out there and God bless you and the rest of the medical workers firefighters paramedics and all First Responders.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m a physician at two hospitals here and we are overwhelmed. Both places have ICUs at capacity with COVID-19 patients and every single one of them are on the ventilator. More have died than are being reported because they can’t include those numbers until the tests come back. We are overflowing ventilated patients into the PACU and back down in the ED because we have no more space. We’ve ran out of ventilators and had to begged the fire department to borrow the seven portable ventilators they have on their rigs. We are using pediatric ventilators on adults. We were just donated old ventilators that no shit has a front panel exactly like the time destination panel in the Delorean in the Back to the Future movies.

We had to start shipping patients out to rural hospitals because we can’t absorb that many more patients. I’ve worked for the past 21 days straight and have a week off before working another 35 straight between the two hospitals. Our normal travel doctors are not coming anymore because they’re either avoiding the workload/disease or have more lucrative offers elsewhere. We’re buying our own respirators at price-gouging premiums because I refuse to re-use N95s for a whole damn week anymore. The CDC relaxed it’s guidelines because of mask shortages, not because it’s actually safe.  They said a frickin handkerchief is ok for last resort?!?!

We have cardiologists, anesthesiologists, clinic doctors, and surgeons all pitching in due to the shortage. Their elective cases have been cancelled anyway so they have nothing else to do. Have a heart attack? Good luck getting a stent at this point. We’ll just drip clotbuster meds and hope it works.

The ability of this virus to kill people quickly is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. Patients young and old, with and without comorbidities, pregnant or not, are not immune.

Take it for what it’s worth.  Believe me or not—I can’t really muster up the care at this point.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

My GF had two nurses from her building die from C-19 last weekend. Not really sure about their pre-existing health status.

A friend of mine in an office environment had a 40 year old healthy colleague just pass away this week from C-19
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My sister just recently lost two friends that were nurses in Detroit to the coronavirus and another one is in Macomb County on life support right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a coworker that caught it. Got tubed.  Then coded. They got her back and now she is recovering a bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

I'm pretty sure there are other ICU/ER qualified RNs here that have gotten the same offers and posted about them. ??
View Quote

Not very busy here in AZ yet. I got offered 4K a week to work wa state on a 13wk travel assignment.   If I didn’t have a wife and child I’d probably do it
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm a physician at two hospitals here and we are overwhelmed. Both places have ICUs at capacity with COVID-19 patients and every single one of them are on the ventilator. More have died than are being reported because they can't include those numbers until the tests come back. We are overflowing ventilated patients into the PACU and back down in the ED because we have no more space. We've ran out of ventilators and had to begged the fire department to borrow the seven portable ventilators they have on their rigs. We are using pediatric ventilators on adults. We were just donated old ventilators that no shit has a front panel exactly like the time destination panel in the Delorean in the Back to the Future movies.

We had to start shipping patients out to rural hospitals because we can't absorb that many more patients. I've worked for the past 21 days straight and have a week off before working another 35 straight between the two hospitals. Our normal travel doctors are not coming anymore because they're either avoiding the workload/disease or have more lucrative offers elsewhere. We're buying our own respirators at price-gouging premiums because I refuse to re-use N95s for a whole damn week anymore. The CDC relaxed it's guidelines because of mask shortages, not because it's actually safe.  They said a frickin handkerchief is ok for last resort?!?!

We have cardiologists, anesthesiologists, clinic doctors, and surgeons all pitching in due to the shortage. Their elective cases have been cancelled anyway so they have nothing else to do. Have a heart attack? Good luck getting a stent at this point. We'll just drip clotbuster meds and hope it works.

The ability of this virus to kill people quickly is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Patients young and old, with and without comorbidities, pregnant or not, are not immune.

Take it for what it's worth.  Believe me or notI can't really muster up the care at this point.
View Quote
Should tack that post in it's own thread and lock it and let people decide for themselves.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Should tack that post in it's own thread and lock it and let people decide for themselves.

View Quote

I agree, but the people who are going to accept reality pretty much have at this point.  It really doesn't make any difference anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The most surprising thing about all this Corona mess for me has been the realization that there are people who fundamentally don't understand the idea of different places.  

View Quote

Exactly.

They look around them, don't see anything and assume a giant nation with nearly 400 million people is just like East Bumfuck
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#35]
We’ve had 15 cases in three counties resulting where two died with it (maybe not from it). An 80 years old man, and a man in his late 50s... Both had other major illnesses. Sooo... no beer zombies here.

My paramedic buddies are also reporting a lot less transports.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a coworker that caught it. Got tubed.  Then coded. They got her back and now she is recovering a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update, it's reassuring to hear that her prognosis is looking up... I had wondered after not seeing any updates on her in the past little bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My girl is a CVICU traveler, and will tell you that EVERYONE hears about EVERYTHING. No one, in the middle of all this, is getting investigated for talking about how busy their hospital is or isn't.
View Quote
My hospital fired someone two days ago for sending internal information related to the pandemic to a news agency.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Work at a Detroit ER.

It’s getting hot here.
View Quote

I’ve heard similar from a few friends and my gf, in healthcare.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ive heard $200/hr for NP.

$120/hr for RN.

3 weeks straight of work in NYC, 12 hr shifts. Housing, food, transportation provided.

My math says that’s $10k/week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
your a hoax

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

I'm pretty sure there are other ICU/ER qualified RNs here that have gotten the same offers and posted about them. ??

Ive heard $200/hr for NP.

$120/hr for RN.

3 weeks straight of work in NYC, 12 hr shifts. Housing, food, transportation provided.

My math says that’s $10k/week.

Yea, but how much of that would you have to give back to the state and city of NY at tax time after you get tied up in their tax nightmare?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted.   And sincerely, thank you for all that you’re doing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Not here.

Just a bunch of nurses trying to get their hours since elective surgeries have been shut down.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  The stupidity of some people still manages to amaze me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the most depressingly accurate description of this disease that I have heard thus far.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#44]
My mom is a management level nurse practitioner in the Cleveland area. She will be made to work in the ICU as of next week. She hasn't been working with patients in years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Its weird they talk about these state peaks like they are within borders.

If my state peaks and goes back to "normal", but the texas peaks later, its not like this shit wont transfer all around the country.
View Quote

Presumably "normal" is months off.  What can happen is that things get relaxed.  Still no travel, still maintaining six feet, still staying home if sick or vulnerable, but people can at least return to work. The number of potential infected is lower, the number of vulnerable is lower, and the number of immune is higher.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
covid19 is a bomb. if it goes off your area your gonna see a lot of casualties.

if it doesnt go off in your area youre gonna wonder what all the fuss is about. until you get a cluster strike.

my honest opinion is.. if the bomb hasnt gone off in you area, and everyone starts wearing masks... and i mean EVERYONE, you wont experience the explosion.

thats my 2 cents.

americans are not as disciplined as some asian nations but it appears that in countries where wearing a mask is expected, especially in situations like this, the spread had been kept under control. bottom line, if you are infected and wear a mask, your are not gonna spray viruses as much and those around you wont inhale your virus clouds. add washing your hands and not touching your face and i suspect the whole thing can be greatly mitigated. but this is amerika where 90 percent of the population is composed of flu-bros and general dumb asses only looking for the next party.

This guy gets it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#47]
University medical center in New Orleans is. It's the largest employer in the state now having recently passed Exxon. The news has covered it often. A friend is a nurse and in management there, I hear it.

State got a deal with the VA to unload some patients and non virus patiens get triaged in the convention center now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've heard about hospitals telling their people not to talk.
View Quote

One of our hospitals is refusing to admit that they have covid patients.  I guess it’s a perception thing.   We all know both hospitals have patients with the disease.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for what you are doing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I have two friends who work in Maiminidies in NYC.  It's total chaos there.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top