Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2019 7:52:57 AM EDT
Well?  Can an ATF employee be a good person?  Or, are they all shitheads?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The lady who called me from the ATF was super nice on the phone
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
What an idiotic question. Yes they can be good people. I have worked in the past with very pro 2a ATF agents. Maybe that isn't the norm, but the ones I worked with were good FBHO type people. I would be shocked if they weren't arfcommers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
They are a waste of site resources.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The dude who approved my stamp super quick seemed cool.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Most are just paper pushers and not actively involved in the nefarious shit they're so infamous for.

Then you've got guys like the fast and furious whistleblower who ended up being given a punishment detail and literally doing nothing until he retired. He wrote a few books and seems like an interesting guy.

Most ATF field agents I've known were pretty cool but it's rare I ever work with one.

Federal law enforcement in general is way too powerful within its distinct realms though. More troubling is what the prosecutors and courts get away with though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure that they have some decent support staff. Junior IT tech, Janitor, Secretary named Karen, Do they have a cafeteria?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The majority are likely good folks, however I'd suspect quite a bit of "...I support the second amendment, but..." philosophy just like you see from 1/3 of the members here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure the ATF didn't pass any of the laws it operates under, doesn't keep them on the books, and didn't  create itself or fund itself.

One of the bigger problems our country faces today is the unwillingness of the People to demand accountability from responsible parties, including themselves.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
This question is much like "can a prostitute be a good person?" Of course as long as she is giving you what you want the way you want without shooting your dog.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#14]
No. Complicit in the unjust initiation of force against fellow humans.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the ATF didn't pass any of the laws it operates under, doesn't keep them on the books, and didn't  create itself or fund itself.

One of the bigger problems our country faces today is the unwillingness of the People to demand accountability from responsible parties, including themselves.
View Quote
Just doing my job...  now, does that gun or accessory violate the NFA?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most are just paper pushers and not actively involved in the nefarious shit they're so infamous for.

Then you've got guys like the fast and furious whistleblower who ended up being given a punishment detail and literally doing nothing until he retired. He wrote a few books and seems like an interesting guy.

Most ATF field agents I've known were pretty cool but it's rare I ever work with one.

Federal law enforcement in general is way too powerful within its distinct realms though. More troubling is what the prosecutors and courts get away with though.
View Quote
All the food service is contracted out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#18]
No such thing as a good revenuer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#19]
No, unless you work there to sabotage the whole operation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#20]
A guy I served with is a EEO for ATF, he’s alright. For ex-EOD anyway.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#21]
BATFE personnel are just like everyone else including regular LE, military, corrections, union members, gun owners, or janitors.

You'll have good people and bad people in any and every organization.

Sometimes humanity can paint with a broad brush.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The majority are likely good folks, however I'd suspect quite a bit of "...I support the second amendment, but..." philosophy just like you see from 1/3 of the members here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This question is much like "can a prostitute be a good person?" Of course as long as she is giving you what you want the way you want without shooting your dog.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No. Complicit in the unjust initiation of force against fellow humans.
View Quote
Nailed it. FTATF and all of their employees.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#26]
But threads like this are allowed?

Got it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#27]
They just follow orders.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Best answer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes but they lobby for funds and laws and create rules that are inconsistent with law and industry standards. The enforcement can be abusive at times as well. An example would be the FAA where if an ultralight pilot has an issue with a plane meeting the rules, he is given a chance to repair the problem. In the ATF world instead of fixing the issue with a 14.9 inch barrel you are going to jail and to court and at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Scumbags, the lot of em

Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Got it.
View Quote
lol

no refunds
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I recently saw a pic of one of the female examiners.

If you guys only knew there would be so much leg humping going on
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#33]

What is the definition of banality of evil?

Justin Richards, B.A. in philosophy

Banal evil is can only be understood by contrast with radical evil, because radical evil was the predominant concept when Hannah Arendt wrote about the banality of evil. Radical evil means that one has decided to do evil, that in their heart they are set upon doing something that they know is wrong, and prior to Arendt philosophers believed that all evil acts were of this sort. Banal evil is characterized by a belief that what one is doing is not evil, rather, what they are engaging in is a behavior that is, or has been, normalized by the society in which they reside....
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-definition-of-banality-of-evil
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#34]
There was one defending AR15's and bumpstocks on youtube a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#35]
When I had interactions with them and the FBI they were very courteous and professional. They may have been noobs though.  

Also, there's assholes in EVERY crowd.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
lol
no refunds
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got it.
lol
no refunds
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#37]
It would be hard for me to work for an agency that, at least some of the time, puts otherwise law abiding people in federal prison for technical rule violations.  I wouldn't be very good at it anyway, I'd always have a "fuck this shit" attitude.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#38]
the one that saved me from opening a booby trapped door and saved my life surely is
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

lol

no refunds
View Quote
Lol. So much edge. You

In other words, a bunch of people in this thread who have probably had 0 interactions with them talking shit. Seems ablut right I guess.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#40]
On day one, yes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, it's possible. I actually know one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I recently saw a pic of one of the female examiners.

If you guys only knew there would be so much leg humping going on
View Quote
We will as soon as you post the pic
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I've worked with quite a few ATF agents all that I have met are good people, the ones I met are gun owners too. Contrary to popular opinion here at least in my area they spend their time and resources on true criminal activity. Gangs breaking into guns shops, street and out law motorcycle gangs mainly. Anything associated with terrorism gets alot of attention from them as well. Again, this is first hand knowledge and in my area. I know many won't believe it, just like they thinks it's going to be cops going door to door for gun confiscation. Before you ask me, I will tell you if that ever happens it will be the military or national guard. It's going to take armor to do mass confiscation and most PDs and SOs don't have any.

Just like any big federal organization or big organization period, the bosses at the top are not a true reflection on those in the trenches doing the work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Believe it or not, we have a lot of friends within ATF. More than you would think.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We will as soon as you post the pic
View Quote

My approval times would soar to 2 or 3 years I bet

Im not poking the bear on that one

Call me paranoid I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Like most .gov agencies, it is full of functionary drones who had no idea what they wanted to do in life, with no interest or previous involvement in the subject, but they had to pay for that literature degree somehow.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Nobody who is not a douchebag wants to grow up to ruin people's lives over victimless stuff.  It takes a special breed of shithead to wake up every day and think "how can I fuck with people just going about their business today?"
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#49]
When I started work at an 07, they hadn't had an audit in three years. I was about two weeks in and ATF showed up. The dweebs who were doing the head count kinda sucked, the lady who inspected the machines was very bright, but not personable, but the guy who ran the show was excellent. There were more than 60,000 entries since the last audit and they identified more than 300 errors. He and I set up a Google docs account with the errors on a spreadsheet and he gave me almost three months to comb through invoices and call vendors/customers to run them all down. He was always polite and professional. He just wanted everything to match up so he could close the audit and move on to the next one.

I hope he gets a good position somewhere after DJT gets rid of ATF
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In other words, a bunch of people in this thread who have probably had 0 interactions with them talking shit. Seems ablut right I guess.
View Quote
What a silly argument. One does not need personal interactions with a person or group to know they're shitbirds. I've never had a personal interaction with Antifa or any of its members, yet I know they're pieces of shit. See how that works?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top