Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2020 3:57:47 PM EDT
Long story short divorce is finalized and ex asked for attorney fees. Only a portion was granted but this was the judges reason;

"I find that Father is more likely to keep this battle at fever pitch if I do not award some fees to temper his desire to litigate his displeasure at my ruling"

I've been told by numerous people that if I don't try than it'll seem that I have no interest in my children's lives. If I fight than this is what I get from the judge. Either way I'm wrong while my ex gets a slap on the wrist regardless of her actions. Can a judge punish me financially and grant attorney fees to ex wife to discourage me from pursuing anything further?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

And will.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The judge granted attorney fees in my divorce.    I just moved out of state and said good luck in collecting them.     They will hunt you down for child support, but wont do anything for attorney fees.    

That said if you have lost up to this point.  Then you need to relax and let it ride for a while.    Wait for the ex to screw up or the child to grow and chose you.    Be a good dad until then.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you appeal the judge's ruling?  Being punitive as a hedge against you bringing future litigation may not be allowed in your state.  You need to get the court transcripts from the hearing and verify the court reporter dictated what the judge said the way you think the judge said it.  You'd be surprised as how inaccurate the record can be.  

Consult with an appellate attorney your options.  Their fee is going to between anywhere from $6,000-10,000 to draft and file an appeal, so if your court ordered attorney fees are less than that you lose money to appeal but you might win the moral victory.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:    
That said if you have lost up to this point.  Then you need to relax and let it ride for a while.
View Quote

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. I can't do anything about it now. Just extremely upset that I'm losing more of what little I have left.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Judges have unlimited power in their courtrooms.

Contempt of Court is a tool of tyranny.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Judges have unlimited power in their courtrooms.

Contempt of Court is a tool of tyranny.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations on finalizing divorce proceedings. They are rarely enjoyable for anybody. Do your best to put it in your rearview mirror and move on with life. Pursue happiness and focus on the positive as much as possible.

Whether you continue to fight is a matter of cost. Is the financial and emotional cost worth it? Rarely is anything inexpensive when lawyers are involved.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you appeal the judge's ruling?  Being punitive as a hedge against you bringing future litigation may not be allowed in your state.  You need to get the court transcripts from the hearing and verify the court reporter dictated what the judge said the way you think the judge said it.  You'd be surprised as how inaccurate the record can be.  

Consult with an appellate attorney your options.  Their fee is going to between anywhere from $6,000-10,000 to draft and file an appeal, so if your court ordered attorney fees are less than that you lose money to appeal but you might win the moral victory.
View Quote
No, that would take years and extremely costly once all the details were figured in so I decided against it. Plus, I really do just want to move on but my ex is content on draining me dry or until she's satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congratulations on finalizing divorce proceedings. They are rarely enjoyable for anybody. Do your best to put it in your rearview mirror and move on with life. Pursue happiness and focus on the positive as much as possible.

Whether you continue to fight is a matter of cost. Is the financial and emotional cost worth it? Rarely is anything inexpensive when lawyers are involved.
View Quote
I have 4 kids with her so moving on isn't the easiest. We separated shortly after my youngest was born so I still have another 16 years to deal with this person.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have 4 kids with her so moving on isn't the easiest. We separated shortly after my youngest was born so I still have another 16 years to deal with this person.
View Quote

Congratulations!!!

I have 11 more years.  I see the light!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. I can't do anything about it now. Just extremely upset that I'm losing more of what little I have left.
View Quote

You are just a victim of the belief that being a good provider and parent gave you a chance to begin with. You NEVER had a chance. It's built into the system at this point.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
yes
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since you have a high-conflict relationship with your ex I would strongly suggest using an app like Family Wizard for all communications, scheduling visitation/holiday time, etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Misfire
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top