Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2023 2:13:05 PM EDT
My youngest daughter is starting her 4th year of medical school. I want to get her something meaningful to commemorate graduation next year but haven't the foggiest idea what that might be. And no, paying off her student loans is not an option.

Budget would be up to $1,000. Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
A month of straight sleep?
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
NavyDoc,

Have you seen their newest model?  If so, thoughts?

Digital Core 500
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I would prolly not buy her a stethscope, she will decide if she needs one. you can save the g and give it to her for a downpayment on apt for residency, or give her the money so she can apply for residency.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations! Gift her one of these Littmann Cardiology stethoscopes, tier 1. Definitely personalize it with engraving. This will be her most used tool that she will need everyday. Buy a spare parts kit also.
Littmann Cardiology stethoscope

A copy of The House of God by Samual Shem
The House of God
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would prolly not buy her a stethscope, she will decide if she needs one. you can save the g and give it to her for a downpayment on apt for residency, or give her the money so she can apply for residency.
View Quote

She will need a stethoscope
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Stethoscope are like cats, no one really owns them. They go through life looking for a new owner that will treat them better.

What is her residency in?  That would be helpful to know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How's about a nice watch?
View Quote

A stethoscope and a mechanical watch. Something with a second hand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stethoscope are like cats, no one owns them. They go through life looking for a new owner that will treat them better.

View Quote

I still use the one given to me from nursing school graduation. It's a nicer one then I would have bought.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoes? Medics, nurses, docs, etc. spend MANY MANY hours on their feet; good shoes are a necessity. Perhaps some support stockings, too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neurology
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
A Glock 19 and $500 in ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

She will need a stethoscope
View Quote

As a fourth year med student I promise, she already has one.

OP, I didn't need anything "item" wise for school.  We bought most of the stuff we needed in the first month.

Give her a vacation before internship starts.  She'll need it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As a fourth year med student I promise, she already has one.

OP, I didn't need anything "item" wise for school.  We bought most of the stuff we needed in the first month.

Give her a vacation before internship starts.  She'll need it.
View Quote

Yep. Spa day, weekend suite somewhere. Anything to relax.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I had forgotten we gave her a stethoscope (3M Littmann Stethoscope, Cardiology IV, Black Tube, Mirror Chestpiece, 27 inch, 6177) when she was accepted to med school.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Agate Mortar and Pestle.

https://www.labdepotinc.com/united-scientific-mortar-pestle-set-agate-stone-mortar-od-1-5-6-0-mpa015-group?gclid=CjwKCAjw_aemBhBLEiwAT98FMsGaAvfgWU7LnD4S4jQL78PGoTc-IHsFVT6zpX7FjeM3pr60DhAAAxoC-iAQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Time. She lost a lot of it and it’s only going to get worse with residency
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats OP.

Smart girls are cool !

As a smaller gift, I suggest a desktop glass name placard with her new title.

Anything with their new title on it is a sure hit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
At my oldest sister's post commencement party, Dad and I gave her an envelope with checks to pay off her med school debt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
At my oldest sister's post commencement party, Dad and I gave her an envelope with checks to pay off her med school debt.
View Quote

I'll just be poor somewhere else. Great idea, wish I could.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep. Spa day, weekend suite somewhere. Anything to relax.
View Quote

Interesting!
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
My parents got me a nice watch when I got mine. Wore it solid for almost 13 years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#24]
My brother graduated two years ago and is now starting his 3rd year of pathology. He didn't need a stethoscope. He'll never use one again. Also, bear in mind that residents usually have to move, perhaps again for fellowship and then their first job. Don't load them up with big things that are hard to move.

My brother is a huge fan of Christopher Nolan, particularly Inception. I bought him one of these. It's Dom's token. Yeah, it has nothing to do with medicine. But it's small, fun to play with and pretty unique.

drsalee's idea of a nameplate/badge of some kind is a good idea.

And a copy of The House of God. Dated, but still spot on, especially Internal Medicine rounds, and she'll do a lot of those in neurology. Also, if she doesn't have it already, this is the preferred reflex hammer in neurology. Don't get one of those cheap, crappy tomahawk style.

Finally, ask @C-4, who is a neurologist.

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice watch if she doesn’t have one
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Neurology
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neurology

Ayahuasca
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
NavyDoc,

Have you seen their newest model?  If so, thoughts?

Digital Core 500
View Quote

That's even more better!
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Congratulations! Gift her one of these Littmann Cardiology stethoscopes, tier 1. Definitely personalize it with engraving. This will be her most used tool that she will need everyday. Buy a spare parts kit also.
Littmann Cardiology stethoscope

A copy of The House of God by Samual Shem
The House of God
View Quote

Definately needs to read that book, if she hasn't already!
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Something she'll be guaranteed to use the rest of her life:  Montblanc
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'll just be poor somewhere else. Great idea, wish I could.
View Quote

Now that you have a doctor in the family, the chances are high that you'll have successive generations of doctors so your daughter will be able to do the same for them some day.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice pens evaporate in healthcare settings. I would avoid pens as a gift.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Another favorite small.

In medical school, the kids wear short lab coats.

When they get their MD, they also graduate to long lab coats.

You can be the first to give your daughter a long lab coat.  Extra bonus points if you get it monogrammed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#33]
How about a piece or collection of antique medical equipment. Preferably an example of quackery like a phrenology skull?

https://www.fleaglass.com/ads/human-adult-phrenology-skull-with-lower-jaw/

Or an electro-shock therapy machine?

https://wellcomecollection.org/works/n76whrxq

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My youngest daughter is starting her 4th year of medical school. I want to get her something meaningful to commemorate graduation next year but haven't the foggiest idea what that might be. And no, paying off her student loans is not an option.

Budget would be up to $1,000. Any insight would be appreciated.
View Quote

I got a beautiful classic Mont Blanc pen from a rich family friend. My parents took me out to eat for graduation. My Grandfather, who was extremely proud of me, got me a Rolex GMT Pepsi, one of my most cherished possessions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]

I’m not liking that one.

Diaphragms keep falling off and the amplifier is glitchy
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#36]
By her a travel vacation. She will not have the chance to travel for the next 4 years.

Or get her a kick ass mattress for when she is able to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another favorite small.

In medical school, the kids wear short lab coats.

When they get their MD, they also graduate to long lab coats.

You can be the first to give your daughter a long lab coat.  Extra bonus points if you get it monogrammed.
View Quote
Agree, but only during residency (and fellowship. And in practice if doing academics). A few of my partners in private practice wear white coats. Most don't.

Mont Blanc pens are very nice. But hold on to it and never set it down.

I always thought the white coat length was the most ridiculous form of preening and status. Some of those attendings, with the very nice, heavy cloth coats, with cloth-covered buttons and extensive monogramming looked like a bunch of peacocks. Imagine all of these flamingos wearing different length white coats according to status. Now you have the picture of the internal medicine team rounding every morning in an academic hospital.

19 years later after residency, I haven't once worn a white coat. Not once.
Quoted:

I got a beautiful classic Mont Blanc pen from a rich family friend. My parents took me out to eat for graduation. My Grandfather, who was extremely proud of me, got me a Rolex GMT Pepsi, one of my most cherished possessions.
View Quote
Oooh. I'd love a Pepsi GMT. Probably just a smidge above OP's listed budget. I look at them every now and then. And then I go off muttering about "cost of a new car" or something.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#38]
My parents gave me a car with automatic transmission.  I wanted another machinegun but it was nice to not have to manually shift in stop and go traffic for once.

Oh and I haven't been outside the country since the end of my 4th year, so maybe a vacation before the indentured servitude starts.  At least neurology is only 4 years total instead of the 6 I needed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#39]
If you get her a watch get one with the solar charging so she doesn't just toss it in a drawer a year later when the battery dies.   Citizen Ecodrive watches are pretty solid and they have some pretty nice looking models in your price range for women.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#40]
The interns and residents only have one day off a week usually. They don't sleep much and get little free time for themselves.

Gift her a nice vacation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Travel.

Or loupes if she is going to use them in her residency.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A month of straight sleep?
View Quote

I would definitely go with this if it's an option.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I still use the one given to me from nursing school graduation. It's a nicer one then I would have bought.
View Quote

I know a lot of folks that are now retiring from the medical professions and they all say to a person that  the nice stethoscopes get stolen all the time in a hospital setting.  These people are retiring in management position as Director of Nursing or Chief of Surgery and they say that they are constantly dealing with theft allegations from staff.

It doesn’t mater if you have tape around it with your name on it.  If you want to keep it, don’t set it down as they sprout legs and run like hell.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Neurology
View Quote

Neurologist or neurosurgeon?

If she is going after a neurosurgeon, you might consider a surgeon’s headlamp; however these are expensive and kind of a personal choice option with HD video cameras.

The residencies are generally 7 years long, and are intense.  A vacation would be good; but she will need to get an apartment and settle in to her new location.  As you know, this is expensive, and time consuming.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Neurologist or neurosurgeon?

If she is going after a neurosurgeon, you might consider a surgeon's headlamp; however these are expensive and kind of a personal choice option with HD video cameras.

The residencies are generally 7 years long, and are intense.  A vacation would be good; but she will need to get an apartment and settle in to her new location.  As you know, this is expensive, and time consuming.
View Quote
I'm gonna bet almost certainly neurology. And there's no such thing as vacation, sleep, personal time, a life, a relationship or anything in a neurosurg residency. And it doesn't get a whole lot better in practice. You make a ton of money which helps you afford all your ex-spouses.

When we all had residency match day, one of our classmates did neurosurgery. Even the other people who matched in other surgical specialties were talking to him and saying, "Whoa. Pete. Man. What are you doing?"

Neurology is much more compatible with enjoyment in life. Residency is busy, but you learn a ton and it can be enjoyable.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#46]
If she is religious, this is something probably more on the meaningful side than expensive that she might hang in her office among other gifts of course. Saw this at one my doctors office.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Just saw neurology.
No idea for those guys what would be good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most charts are electronic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Most charts are electronic.
View Quote
It's true, but you still sign a lot of stuff. I have a custom turned wood pen that regularly gets comments from people, especially woodworkers. It takes Pilot G2 gel reloads. So I just buy a box of G2s and refill as needed. Having a nice pen to write with is one of those small niceties you notice over and over. It's like when Harry Potter picked up the Phoenix core wand in Ollivander's. Or when you pick up a Snap-On 3/8 flex-head ratchet which costs 20X what you paid for the sloppy ratchet in the cheapo pack from Autozone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#50]
My doc's wife bought him a Rolex Sub.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top