Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2020 10:05:19 PM EDT
Are there any USA made ones? Wife wants a set of calibrated plates. Eleiko are made in Sweden I think. Can’t find out where any of the other ones are made
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Rogue. Made in OH.
https://www.roguefitness.com/weightlifting-bars-plates/bumpers

P.S. Whoops. I know they make bars. Apparently their plates aren't Made In The USA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Out of curiosity, why calibrated?

I'm not aware of US made ones, but I'll tell you if she wants calibrated, I'm guessing that means she wants the best, and if she wants the best then you probably want Eleiko. I like to buy US made stuff too, but it's not always the best option.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Because she is a power lifter and wants plates that are calibrated, I don’t get in the way of her gym stuff and she doesn’t give me any flack on the fun stuff. I think it’s so she is training with the stuff they use in comps
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because she is a power lifter and wants plates that are calibrated, I don’t get in the way of her gym stuff and she doesn’t give me any flack on the fun stuff. I think it’s so she is training with the stuff they use in comps
View Quote

The ONLY difference is that the calibrated plates can be used in comps. They are the same plates...

At any rate, get what you want of course- just pointing out that even a lot olympic level athletes don't use calibrated plates in training.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
IPF approved equipment is at the bottom.

https://www.powerlifting.sport/fileadmin/ipf/data/federation/Approved__List_2019-2022_Final.pdf

Ivanko is in Cali, not sure where there stuff is actually made.

https://www.ironcompany.com/ivanko-cbpp-olympic-calibrated-powerlifting-plates

EDIT:  Like Roland said, save the money and get decent "training" plates, maybe they'll be off a gram.   Is her barbell IPF certified?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Ivanko, Eleiko, and Leoko calibrated powerlifting plates.  They are made in China, Asia (probably China), and Finland respectively.

Leoko is THE best.  
Hands down.

Vintage York Barbell is probably the only USA option. Rare to find and not IPF listed.

PM for photos.
20 years of hard cellar use on the Ivankos.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By T-800:
I have Ivanko, Eleiko, and Leoko calibrated powerlifting plates.  They are made in China, Asia (probably China), and Finland respectively.

Leoko is THE best.  
Hands down.

Vintage York Barbell is probably the only USA option. Rare to find and not IPF listed.

PM for photos.
20 years of hard cellar use on the Ivankos.
View Quote

Eleiko made in China?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Eleiko made in China?
View Quote

Yes.

There was a significant price drop in their powerlifting plates within the last 10 years.
Suspecting the worst, I wrote them asking where made.  I was told Asia due to environmental concerns.  Their website has been filled with PC bullshit.  Not the same anymore.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]

The ONLY difference is that the calibrated plates can be used in comps. They are the same plates...

At any rate, get what you want of course- just pointing out that even a lot olympic level athletes don't use calibrated plates in training.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Because she is a power lifter and wants plates that are calibrated, I don’t get in the way of her gym stuff and she doesn’t give me any flack on the fun stuff. I think it’s so she is training with the stuff they use in comps

The ONLY difference is that the calibrated plates can be used in comps. They are the same plates...

At any rate, get what you want of course- just pointing out that even a lot olympic level athletes don't use calibrated plates in training.

They aren't the same unless I'm misunderstanding. Calibrated plates are thin and 25 kg (55 lbs), standard plates are 45 and wider.

That's not the only difference but i doubt it pertains to his wife.  Its easier to break weight loose from the floor when it's wider due to flex in the bar.  Heavier and thinner plates make it harder.  To be fair though,  i didn't notice a difference until i got over 500 and she isn't pulling that.

If you want to test, use bumper plates out as wide as possible on a flexible bar.  Then same weight with kilo plates on the same bar or even worse a stiff squat bar.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Fella:

They aren't the same unless I'm misunderstanding. Calibrated plates are thin and 25 kg (55 lbs), standard plates are 45 and wider.

That's not the only difference but i doubt it pertains to his wife.  Its easier to break weight loose from the floor when it's wider due to flex in the bar.  Heavier and thinner plates make it harder.  To be fair though,  i didn't notice a difference until i got over 500 and she isn't pulling that.

If you want to test, use bumper plates out as wide as possible on a flexible bar.  Then same weight with kilo plates on the same bar or even worse a stiff squat bar.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fella:
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Because she is a power lifter and wants plates that are calibrated, I don’t get in the way of her gym stuff and she doesn’t give me any flack on the fun stuff. I think it’s so she is training with the stuff they use in comps

They aren't the same unless I'm misunderstanding. Calibrated plates are thin and 25 kg (55 lbs), standard plates are 45 and wider.

That's not the only difference but i doubt it pertains to his wife.  Its easier to break weight loose from the floor when it's wider due to flex in the bar.  Heavier and thinner plates make it harder.  To be fair though,  i didn't notice a difference until i got over 500 and she isn't pulling that.

If you want to test, use bumper plates out as wide as possible on a flexible bar.  Then same weight with kilo plates on the same bar or even worse a stiff squat bar.

Sorry, I was thinking about the Oly plates, not power lifting plates.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Yes.

There was a significant price drop in their powerlifting plates within the last 10 years.
Suspecting the worst, I wrote them asking where made.  I was told Asia due to environmental concerns.  Their website has been filled with PC bullshit.  Not the same anymore.
View All Quotes

Eleiko made in China?

Yes.

There was a significant price drop in their powerlifting plates within the last 10 years.
Suspecting the worst, I wrote them asking where made.  I was told Asia due to environmental concerns.  Their website has been filled with PC bullshit.  Not the same anymore.

That's a bummer. My bar was made in Sweden.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Try Titex, Rogue, Eleiko, and Ivanko if you are looking for IPF certified calibrated plates.  Sorry but all plates are made in China, except Hi Temp bumper plates.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Finland > China.
Top Top