Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/15/2019 4:57:19 PM EDT
A member filed an open records request asking the school for all email communications between the school and Moms Demand Action and the Brady Campaign between 5/7 and 5/8 (two days and a narrow search).  STEM Bookeeper accidentally responded to the person who sent the request asking what she should do (meant for head of the school). Fast forward to yesterday, STEM says they’ll do the request, but need 7 hours of staff time (at $30/hr) and 26 hours of counsel review time (at $155/hr) Totallly over $4000 to have it done.  In two days it is near impossible for communications between the school and MDA/Brady Campaign to hit 1GB of data (that’s like 70,000 e-mails).  They’re hiding something.  More here

https://ilwd4cr.home.blog/2019/05/14/stem-school-colorado-foia-in-process-and-responses/

And some pics in case you don’t want to click the link

We all know that there was an outrage that the vigil turned into a political rally, but why are they protecting these groups?  What else is there?  The mission is to make it known they’re trying to price this out of reach in order for it to “go away”.  Media has been notified and so has some Colorado groups that don’t stand for this garbage.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
He doesn’t need a fire mission.  He needs a friendly lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep digging.

That is an unreasonable reply to a FOIA/CORA request.

Multi-thousand dollars?!!?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit, I’ll chip in $40
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He doesn’t need a fire mission.  He needs a friendly lawyer.
View Quote
If it comes to that to get it will be done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shit, I’ll chip in $40
View Quote
That’s last option.  Won’t take money unless there’s no other choice.  I’ve heard that this is a solid case for a FOIA lawyer to take up due to it being so narrow and the costs so unreasonable.  Basically,  if the case was won, the school would have to cover the plaintiff’s lawyer fees
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
geez, search email by sender, search by receiver, and check the physical mail file for two days.

A couple of hours, maximum.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shit, I’ll chip in $40
View Quote
It is entirely unacceptable that the people are being charged for public records that are ultimately the property of the people. The people already paid, and continue to pay, for those public documents and the morans who create them. They should call upon the school to pay back the cost of their time colluding with the groups.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure about Colorado, but in Wisconsin we (governmental offices and bodies) are required to have a document access policy that spells out the fees. They also must be reasonable and in-line with State Statutes.

This policy would have to be approved by whatever governmental body oversees the school.

In our case it is $10/hr and $.25/copy(page).
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is entirely unacceptable that the people are being charged for public records that are ultimately the property of the people. The people already paid, and continue to pay, for those public documents and the morans who create them. They should call upon the school to pay back the cost of their time colluding with the groups.
View Quote
I’ve never had to pay in IL, even on large files (largest was 1200+ e-mails). If it was reasonable, our group would have just done it.  This is insane though.  The accidental response is what made it known they’re obviously hiding some stuff though
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Where do I send money?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not sure about Colorado, but in Wisconsin we (governmental offices and bodies) are required to have a document access policy that spells out the fees. They also must be reasonable and in-line with State Statutes.

This policy would have to be approved by whatever governmental body oversees the school.

View Quote
CO states $30/hr max for staff and $30/hr for lawyers, which would bring the cost to $910. Also, copies not needed as a PDF (digital) was requested (one way around the copy fee in many cases).
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where do I send money?
View Quote
Nowhere yet. We’re not taking a dime until that’s the last option
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Firemission is probably not a great term to use but...
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Firemission is probably not a great term to use but...
View Quote
Yeah, you’re right.  Updated title
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Could it be because all the students have computer/internet access and the request was not for just school employees?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CO states $30/hr max for staff and $30/hr for lawyers, which would bring the cost to $910. Also, copies not needed as a PDF (digital) was requested (one way around the copy fee in many cases).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you hit them with a response citing Colorado Code or Statutes? That would be my next step, before finding a sympathetic attorney to write a similar request. I'd also CC the parent organization if they keep stonewalling. Sooner or later you'll get someone rattled and they'll either give in or say something dumb enough to be actionable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Go post about your problem on the chans
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Could it be because all the students have computer/internet access and the request was not for just school employees?
View Quote
Request specifically states staff
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now that’s a good idea!  Maybe soon.  Gotta ask my partners about that
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
As well as quoting statute to them
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]
https://8ch.net/pol/res/13280172.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just be aware it's Pandora's box. Fuck it
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just be aware it's Pandora's box. Fuck it
View Quote
Press has it (we chatted) and so does gun rights groups in CO.  Press (not saying who, but it’s national) was also thinking of filing a CORA request on them as well in response to this.

All they had to do was fulfill a simple request that we already mostly know the details about.  They helped open pandora’s box by pulling this crap
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#25]
They are busy deleting and shredding as we speak. They might even wipe the server with a cloth.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll throw some cash towards this...$900 bucks for $30/$30 isn't much, $4K while unreasonable, isn't some crazy amount either. GD should do a Go Fund Me and we can hit that in 10-20min.  I would like to see this through, and lift the cover off how both of those groups approach the school and of course how the school administration responded to their overtures.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They are busy deleting and shredding as we speak. They might even wipe the server with a cloth.
View Quote
More than likely,  which is why the link in OP needs to be spread. Dirty/shady stuff
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in for $40.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't do that.

#NotYourPersonalArmy
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll throw some cash towards this...$900 bucks for $30/$30 isn't much, $4K while unreasonable, isn't some crazy amount either. GD should do a Go Fund Me and we can hit that in 10-20min.  I would like to see this through, and lift the cover off how both of those groups approach the school and of course how the school administration responded to their overtures.
View Quote
What do our ARFLawyers think?

Should Nolo be summoned?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wouldn't do that.

#NotYourPersonalArmy
View Quote
agreed, please don't. the qanon thing brought enough boomers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
We gave them a week to respond back.  Original response is in linked article on OP.  This was then also sent

Pics in that email are these (obtained from a local)

Article linked is this

https://highlandsranchherald.net/stories/letter-to-the-community-from-one-of-the-events-organizers,280541

It’s crystal clear what we’re looking for, and it’s not a gig of data and won’t require hours to retrieve. We know so it’s time to stop playing games (and a Douglas County teacher my be the main point of contact. Whoops).

As to money,  not going that route unless no other option
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wouldn't do that.

#NotYourPersonalArmy
View Quote
It’s posted, but only info is, not a “call to action”.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Outside counsel cost is probably not allowable for you to bear, check the law. Most FOIA analogs are limited to reproduction costs and wages if they are excessive, reviewing 2 days of emails from an identified group is not excessive.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Outside counsel cost is probably not allowable for you to bear, check the law. Most FOIA analogs are limited to reproduction costs and wages if they are excessive, reviewing 2 days of emails from an identified group is not excessive.

Kharn
View Quote
Correct.  Here’s CO law even

1.  I doubt it’s even 20 pages (MSD/Broward e-mails after Parkland were only 80)

http://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Broward-Schools-FOIA-full-production-2018.pdf

2. They want $155/hr, law says $30/hr (but that’s not even required, so why use a lawyer?...........)
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Trying to hide something
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Destroying evidence during an ongoing Criminal investigation? That wouldn't be smart...
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#39]
So what are we actually getting at here?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is unreasonable when the amounts are dictated by state law and the $ quoted by the school far exceeds them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/tSHXNyrl.jpg

1.  I doubt it’s even 20 pages (MSD/Broward e-mails after Parkland were only 80)

http://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Broward-Schools-FOIA-full-production-2018.pdf

2. They want $155/hr, law says $30/hr (but that’s not even required, so why use a lawyer?...........)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

http://i.imgur.com/tSHXNyrl.jpg

Ask them to estimate the number of records that will be recovered in responding to your request, state the tasks to be accomplished by the staff member and the outside counsel, are there any attachments to the record emails, etc. Ask a billion questions.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So what are we actually getting at here?
View Quote
This

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6t8sGIK9IGY&t=46s

And this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZ4e11-lU8

Should sum it up.  It’s holding those who pulled this stunt responsible

(Please embed if able to)
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6t8sGIK9IGY&t=46s

And this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGZ4e11-lU8

Should sum it up.  It’s holding those who pulled this stunt responsible

(Please embed if able to)
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Perhaps we need multiple request to tie them up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Now,  the students did not want what happened to happen at the vigil. MDA leader claims she didn’t know it was organized by adults, she thought the students put the whole thing together.  Per Brady Campaign “apology”, we know that a teacher in the system is their handler. Per another FOIA done awhile back,  the students are coached by their handlers and even answer to them.  See here

https://ilwd4cr.home.blog/2019/04/12/in-reaponse-to-the-flak-caught-from-yesterdays-release-rep-schneider-shannon-watts-document-especially/

It’s time we turn up the heat on all of this bullshit
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Perhaps we need multiple request to tie them up.
View Quote
Or request 5/7-5/9 e-mails between school staff and Laura Reeves (MDA) and also Emily Muellenberg (Brady’s campagin and a district teacher).
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]
If you have to pay, I’m in for $100.

PM me when you need the money.

DP
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you have to pay, I’m in for $100.

PM me when you need the money.

DP
View Quote
Thank you (and to everyone offering so far).  I’m really hoping the pressure being put on them is enough for them to do the right thing and to stop playing games.  It’s a simple/legit request
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thank you (and to everyone offering so far).  I’m really hoping the pressure being put on them is enough for them to do the right thing and to stop playing games.  It’s a simple/legit request
View Quote
Don’t wait too long and let them cover any tracks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top