Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 9:56:20 AM EDT
I have never seen this and nobody I know in the aviation business has seen it.

Of course, when arriving from a foreign location, CBP and Immigration have to check your paperwork, plane and documents (passport, general/crew declaration, etc.). They ask the usual questions about bringing goods and currency in.

Yesterday, prior to departing a small airport (in a very affluent town) for the Bahamas, CBP rolls up. They start asking us questions about currency we’re carrying and the search our bags and the plane. It was very similar to a thorough CBP search when arriving. This never happens when you depart.

We even had to fill out customs “entry” forms declaring our goods—the blue cards.

We thought someone tipped them about our passengers. The pax ended up being delayed 45 minutes and CBP didn’t wait. These guys are attached to a large seaport so that’s their primary job. Maybe it was just training but it was very strange.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s pretty funny with the US government and Fed cabal being the biggest counterfeiters in the world.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Square66:
That’s pretty funny with the US government and Fed cabal being the biggest counterfeiters in the world.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:06:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#3]
Currency smuggling is a real thing.  Cartels and other criminal organizations based in other countries need to get the proceeds from drugs sales and other crimes in the U.S. back to where they are based to continue the cycle.  Some criminal organizations prefer this method over money laundering.  It is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like they are searching for a pilot that is moving product from outside the US not a PAX.

I know a guy that got busted for cocaine like that but he was a boat captain.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
CBP???????
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Surprised you've never seen it before. I've seen it many times at IAD while waiting for flights. They tend to look most closely at Indian and Chinese travelers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Not uncommon on outbound flights to the Caribbean, Central & South America. Had a guy intercepted & detained a few spots ahead of me on the boarding bridge by plainclothes officers on a flight to Jamaica a couple years ago & have seen currency sniffing dogs on outbound flights to South America.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#8]
Originally Posted By Andrew:
CBP???????
View Quote

U.S. Customs and Border Protection.  They have jurisdiction not only on inbound international flights, but also on outbound international flights.  Nothing new about this at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection.  They have jurisdiction not only on inbound international flights, but also on outbound international flights.  Nothing new about this at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
Originally Posted By Andrew:
CBP???????

It doesn’t seem unusual to you to fill out a customs declaration form when leaving?  The form that starts “Each arriving traveler…”?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Surprised you've never seen it before. I've seen it many times at IAD while waiting for flights. They tend to look most closely at Indian and Chinese travelers.
View Quote

Lots of CBP presence at IAD last night.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By migradog:

Not unusual at all, CBP gets a signed declaration.

If undeclared items are found, CBP can refer back to the signed declaration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By migradog:
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

It doesn’t seem unusual to you to fill out a customs declaration form when leaving?  The form that starts “Each arriving traveler…”?

Not unusual at all, CBP gets a signed declaration.

If undeclared items are found, CBP can refer back to the signed declaration.

How “not unusual” is it?  Becasue I suspect OP travels internationally a fair amount and never saw it before.

I’ve only ever done one inbound.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Imagine if government agencies could focus on the actual issues at hand, instead of bullshit that means absolutely nothing to 99% of the citizens in this country.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The Democrats will seal our borders when the outflow of wealth fleeing their communism takes off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#16]
outbound currency is a thing, certain destinations are far more common. Mexico is quite common, as is other drug countries. They ship drugs in, the shippers want their cash to buy more drugs and live it up so they need it back.

@Andrew CBP is "Customs and Border Protection" they wear blue, work at airports, sea ports, land crossings, fed-ex, UPS  hubs, mail facilities, and a couple (rare) train crossings.  they are "the only LEO agency where bad guys come to us" . Usually out of shape(tehy are heavily desk bound), and they used to be INSANELY good at immigration law(which is super complicated, like single largest section of law in the US, makes the tax code look simple), but back in 2003 when INS(immigration naturalization services), and Customs(was called just customs back then, they didnt know jack about immigration, visas, etc but everything about charging import duties on cargo, finding drugs, etc), merged they made the new employees learn the basic basics of immigration and basics of cargo because a single brain holding all info that would require superior IQ(like legitimately unable to get enough bodies to fill vacancies so they dumbed it down when they combined the forces) so the new officers are very much jack of all trades master of none.

BP(border patrol) wears green and catches people crossing at NON LEGAL crossings. ("meat missile running through the brush after illegals" is the description a guy i know used to describe his first 5 years there, he then moved to CBP; but guy could actually track people in ground, and was crazy good at following trails through brush)

They both fall under DHS though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]

How “not unusual” is it?  Becasue I suspect OP travels internationally a fair amount and never saw it before.

I’ve only ever done one inbound.
View Quote

On personal travel, I’ve been subject to outbound stops many times and I have been required to fill out and sign the customs declaration at least three times.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
outbound currency is a thing, certain destinations are far more common. Mexico is quite common, as is other drug countries. They ship drugs in, the shippers want their cash to buy more drugs and live it up so they need it back.

@Andrew CBP is "Customs and Border Protection" they wear blue, work at airports, sea ports, land crossings, fed-ex, UPS  hubs, mail facilities, and a couple (rare) train crossings.  they are "the only LEO agency where bad guys come to us" . Usually out of shape(tehy are heavily desk bound), and they used to be INSANELY good at immigration law(which is super complicated, like single largest section of law in the US, makes the tax code look simple), but back in 2003 when INS(immigration naturalization services), and Customs(was called just customs back then, they didnt know jack about immigration, visas, etc but everything about charging import duties on cargo, finding drugs, etc), merged they made the new employees learn the basic basics of immigration and basics of cargo because a single brain holding all info that would require superior IQ(like legitimately unable to get enough bodies to fill vacancies so they dumbed it down when they combined the forces) so the new officers are very much jack of all trades master of none.

BP(border patrol) wears green and catches people crossing at NON LEGAL crossings. ("meat missile running through the brush after illegals" is the description a guy i know used to describe his first 5 years there, he then moved to CBP; but guy could actually track people in ground, and was crazy good at following trails through brush)

View Quote

However, one thing to note is that green routinely assists blue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Sort of makes one wonder how much cash gets through the US/Mexico border everyday while the 'CBP' searches you guys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:35:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#20]
I have been the subject of federal search warrant by CBP as well as thorough searches by CBP in secondary on several occasion.  Even when I had stacks of several K in 100s they have never counted it and just believed me (oddly this is the one thing CBP has always been honest with me on and they just stuff the cash in the clear baggy and nothing has ever been missing).  They seem to not care much about cash unless you have a gigantic bundle or it's a targeted investigation for cash.  On the other hand they have a real hard-on for thinking everything is drugs even when it clearly is not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By midcap:
sounds like they are searching for a pilot that is moving product from outside the US not a PAX.

I know a guy that got busted for cocaine like that but he was a boat captain.
View Quote

Yeah, plenty of airline crew members have gotten busted for muling drugs. Never heard of bizjet crews doing it. Our schedules just aren’t that consistent or predictable.

But I believe your premise is correct.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#22]

View Quote

This. And (with the airlines, not corporate) I’ve had CBP show up on the jetway on both inbound and outbound flights to nab someone.

But this was a small, no commercial airline service airport in a very wealthy town. You don’t get (small time) money launderers in places like this. If these people need to launder money, they’ll buy a foreign corporation and bribe local officials.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
You should have just told them you are a migrant in Spanish. They'd have just waved you through and given you a debit card.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Rocketfish:
You should have just told them you are a migrant in Spanish. They'd have just waved you through and given you a debit card.
View Quote

I need to start brushing up on my spanish…or Swahili…or Mandarin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

View Quote

Funny you say that
Dude that caught our eye initially was like 6’3” and build like The Rock
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22] [#26]
The runs I’ve ran into are too fat to even draw their pistols
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#27]
My mom got busted by a dog for trying to bring a banana back to the US after visiting Europe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top