Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 12:50:17 PM EDT
Hey all, hopefully this is an appropriate forum for the following questions:

I have a buddy (civilian) that is a permanent resident of Arizona and will be traveling to California soon but we want to confirm a couple of things:

- Is a Gen 4 Glock 17 with multiple 10 round magazines permitted? Is there a limit to the number of magazines?

- Is there a limit to the number of rounds he can bring into the state?

- Does the "locked" container for the ammunition and another for the empty handgun require an actual combination or key lock? Or does a latch suffice?

- I assume there is no issue with hollow point rounds?

The answers given here will be verified with local law enforcement prior to entering the state. We just want to make sure we have a solid idea before we call.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually take a revolver and a 1911 that are still registered with the CA DOJ.

That avoids a lot of shenanigans.

The CA home town forum might get you a more valid answer, because the new laws there seem to be invented by the minute.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all, hopefully this is an appropriate forum for the following questions:

I have a buddy (civilian) that is a permanent resident of Arizona and will be traveling to California soon but we want to confirm a couple of things:

- Is a Gen 4 Glock 17 with multiple 10 round magazines permitted? Is there a limit to the number of magazines?

- Does the "locked" container for the ammunition and another for the empty handgun require an actual combination or key lock? Or does a latch suffice?

The answers given here will be verified with local law enforcement prior to entering the state. We just want to make sure we have a solid idea before we call.

Thank you!
View Quote

To answer some of your questions as I understand them* (even if the event has passed):

- Generation does not matter. The approved roster is for CA gun sales and does not regulate what may be brought into the state (we won't go into the weeds here, assuming this is even relevant to your question). There is no cap on number of magazines as long as they comply with the 10rd law.

- By "rounds" I presume you mean loose ammunition? No, so long as they are separate from the firearm during transport.

- For the handgun, the container has to be locked (combo/key/etc.) and inaccessible from the passenger compartment. If a single cabin vehicle, has to be unreachable from seated passengers.

- No issue with HP.

*I haven't lived there in going-on 6 years. As noted above, the laws change by the minute.

Hope you got reasonable answers from local LE. Beware different agencies and different persons within a given agency may give you conflicting information. Use discretion and remember what mama don't know won't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It is permitted. There is no limit.

There is no limit.

California requires the handgun to be unloaded and locked in a container during transport in a vehicle. Locked container is defined as "a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment".

There is no requirement that the ammunition be locked up or kept in a separate compartment. This is a very common misunderstanding and likely is propagated by leftist LEOs harassing gun owners and the confusion can also come from two separate definitions of a loaded handgun; one for law abiding citizens and one for felons. For law abiding citizens a handgun is not considered loaded if ammunition is in the same container, unlocked, nor in a magazine/clip/speedloader, etc. Note, do not put the mag/clip/speedloader/etc in the magwell or cylinder.

The California Highway Patrol's (CHP) website outlines this clearly: https://www.chp.ca.gov/home/faq#33901110-6d6a-4ebc-83a8-9924f97d9166=%7B%22k%22%3A%22handgun%22%7D#Default=%7B%22k%22%3A%22%22%7D

In the state of California, no. They are prohibited in San Francisco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top