Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2023 11:09:31 PM EDT
I recently bought a used model C rower. I've never used one before, so I don't know if this is a normal condition or if something is wrong with the rower (or me for that matter).

When I go to pull each time, it seems like there is about an inch or so slack before there is resistance. Is that something normal or something that needs repaired on the machine or my technique?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about that particular model, but there may be a spring or elastic rope that has been over-worked and my need replaced. I would contact Concept 2 and see if you can get a parts diagram and hopefully there is a replacement available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine has no slack at all.

I have no concrete idea what the issue could be though. I'd imagine there is some sort of cog that catches the chain on the uptake, sounds like that might need replacing the same way they get worn on a bike (and cause the same issue as the space between teeth gets wider).

Just a wild guess. Take it apart and let us know what you find!
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm wondering if the clutch is needing serviced. I'm going to take it apart tonight and see.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Could it be a technique issue rather than a mechanical problem?  I've noticed on my C2 if I pause briefly before the catch, I have no slack.  If I'm quick about pulling again, it feels like the flywheel is unloaded a small bit.  I think having lower RPMs makes it feel like it's hooking up and higher RPMs make it feel like there is no resistance.  I have maybe 100,000 meters on mine so I don't think I have any wear issues.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By baxt3r:
Could it be a technique issue rather than a mechanical problem?  I've noticed on my C2 if I pause briefly before the catch, I have no slack.  If I'm quick about pulling again, it feels like the flywheel is unloaded a small bit.  I think having lower RPMs makes it feel like it's hooking up and higher RPMs make it feel like there is no resistance.  I have maybe 100,000 meters on mine so I don't think I have any wear issues.
View Quote

I did my first 5k on it last night and I think you might be right. I'll try again and see if it's consistent. I need to try a different machine to compare with so I know for sure.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You can tighten the bungie cord on Model C, D and E. When it isn't in use, place the handle all the way up to preserve the elasticity of the cord. Don't leave it in the holder for long periods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top