Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 8:49:36 PM EDT
Plenty talk about "Top Gun," but to this day I think "The Final Countdown" had some of the finest aerial footage of the F-14 Tomcat ever captured on film. Of course, the high viz markings of the era didn't hurt either.

Here's a nice piece posted by C.W. "Mover" Lemoine interviewing Alan "Shoes" Mullen, who piloted a Tomcat in the film. The refueling probe/camera ship story toward the end is one I've never heard before.
F-14 Pilot Discusses Filming of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN Movie - Shoes Interview | Mover Clips

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree. Final Countdown has the best Tomcat action on film.

There are other clips, along with the entire interview they're from on C.W.'s channel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree. Final Countdown has the best Tomcat action on film.

There are other clips, along with the entire interview they're from on C.W.'s channel.
View Quote

A special thanks to AirRaceFan for giving me the heads up on this video!
I am honored to have strapped Al Mullen in my bird a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool! Thanks for posting!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A special thanks to AirRaceFan for giving me the heads up on this video!
I am honored to have strapped Al Mullen in my bird a bunch of times.
View Quote

No problem.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
F-14 Flying 840 kts (Mach 1.2) at FIFTY feet and Ripping the Gear Doors Off
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Mover a member here?  I feel like he'd be on this site...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd bet that he is a member.  He posts on a military pilot forum I'm on, but he may be a bit busy these days with all his work/videos lol.  He makes some good content, I'm a subscriber to his channel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Mover is great.  He does a lot of YT videos about dogfights in DCS.  I'm subscribed to his channel.

Also, I'm reading his fiction series 'Spectre'.  I think it's really good writing.  Think Tom Clancy.  Reads WAY WAY above the $8 it cost for the Kindle Box Set.

Volume 1: Cal "Spectre" Martin is out of the military, but that doesn't mean he's out from behind enemy lines. In a techno thriller that launches the military/political espionage SPECTRE series, C.W. Lemoine explores just how far a fighter pilot will go to save the ones he loves.

Volume 2: The military/political espionage thriller SPECTRE series finds Spectre with a new job - and a new set of problems. His latest mission will force him to confront political deception, international terrorism… and devastating personal loss.

Volume 3: In the third full-length military espionage thriller from C.W. Lemoine, Spectre is being hunted by the FBI. The agency believes he’s at the heart of an unthinkable act of terrorism. But as Spectre’s about to find out, the true culprit has set in motion a far more powerful conspiracy.

Volume 4: In Book Four of the military thriller Spectre series by C.W. Lemoine, Cal "Spectre" Martin finds himself face to face with the Commander in Chief aboard Air Force One. Together with FBI agent Michelle Decker, he is ready to share evidence so incriminating it could topple the current administration in Washington D.C..
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a member of arfcom who was involved in the making of the movie, don't recall his name.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
He puts out good stuff.

I’d have to work hard to not go full on fanboy if I walked into a briefing room and saw him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's a member of arfcom who was involved in the making of the movie, don't recall his name.
View Quote

That would be Whamo who posted above.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mover is great.  He does a lot of YT videos about dogfights in DCS.  I'm subscribed to his channel.

Also, I'm reading his fiction series 'Spectre'.  I think it's really good writing.  Think Tom Clancy.  Reads WAY WAY above the $8 it cost for the Kindle Box Set.

Volume 1: Cal "Spectre" Martin is out of the military, but that doesn't mean he's out from behind enemy lines. In a techno thriller that launches the military/political espionage SPECTRE series, C.W. Lemoine explores just how far a fighter pilot will go to save the ones he loves.

Volume 2: The military/political espionage thriller SPECTRE series finds Spectre with a new job - and a new set of problems. His latest mission will force him to confront political deception, international terrorism… and devastating personal loss.

Volume 3: In the third full-length military espionage thriller from C.W. Lemoine, Spectre is being hunted by the FBI. The agency believes he’s at the heart of an unthinkable act of terrorism. But as Spectre’s about to find out, the true culprit has set in motion a far more powerful conspiracy.

Volume 4: In Book Four of the military thriller Spectre series by C.W. Lemoine, Cal "Spectre" Martin finds himself face to face with the Commander in Chief aboard Air Force One. Together with FBI agent Michelle Decker, he is ready to share evidence so incriminating it could topple the current administration in Washington D.C..
View Quote

I watch his YT and have read all his books too.  TOMCATS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh......  the screen name didn't match my memory.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats a pretty good movie. I love when they mess with the Zeros. When they fired the gun, they were the closest to sounding right of any movie. The guns are gatling guns, not machine guns.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

FWIW...

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#16]
That was awesome. It led to other video clips from the 2 hour interview with Shoes.

Did anyone else see the Shoes F-14 carrier landing simulator story?  LMAO

"He lost it, turned in his wings." - Shoes TOMCAT Carrier Qualification Story | Mover Clips

"With only two people in his initial F-14A Tomcat qualification course, competition was bound to happen. Shoes tells the story of how he one-upped his fellow student during F-14A Carrier Qualification at the Replacement Air Group (RAG).This is a clip from my two hour live interview with Shoes - former F-14 TOPGUN Instructor Pilot who also flew the F-5, A-4, 727, and MD-11.  He was one of the pilots in the move THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. "
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Great thread!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Been watching C.W. "Mover" Lemoine’s videos for a while.  Really enjoyed his comments on “True Lies”.  Not familiar with “the Final Countdown”.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If you like Mover's interviews, you might also like Steve Davies' "10 Percent True" channel.  Steve's a Brit pilot, photographer, journalist who has been writing books and magazine articles about military aircraft for 25 years.  His youtube channel is all interviews with various military pilots from the F-117, SR-71, test pilots, fighter pilots, you name it.  Kind of a small channel that seems to have been hampered by the need to do interviews online with COVID, but still some great content.

10 Percent True - Tales from the Cockpit

He wrote the "Red Eagles" book about the covert USAF program flying MiGs up at Tonopah in the 1980s.  He released this video a couple months ago that is something I never thought I'd see, declassified shots of the MiGs up on the range.

CONSTANT PEG Pilots React to Unseen Footage - 4477th TES Red Eagles
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 He does a lot of YT videos about dogfights in DCS.  
View Quote

The whole "I could have done this maneuver but I can't show you because it's super secret" thing got old for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The whole "I could have done this maneuver but I can't show you because it's super secret" thing got old for me.
View Quote

While I understand he is being truthful.  This is especially true with the F-15 guys.  I used to get rides on Eagles during my time.   You absolutely could not fly on a Mission sortie.  Mission sorties are where they use tactics in air-to-air on certain missions.   I could fly anytime on basic sorties, even doing BFM, qual checks, etc.    Those guys were anal about mission sorties being classified.  Even "ATE", the French pilot that comes on "Growling Sidewinder's" DCS channel, has even said similar about his past flying and how he cannot reveal everything.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for posting that.

Can't believe no one posted this scene yet:

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting that.

Can't believe no one posted this scene yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o
View Quote

After that scene:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top